what's the advantage?

DubzEm

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
i have a epic. LOVE IT. thought about switching to a Nexus. I just had one in my hand. To be honest I wasnt impressed with it. Just a Epic with no keyboard. Yes it has the PURE GOOGLE EXPERIENCE but thats really the only difference. Also the nexus s had the nfc but I dont care about that either. I think thats about it!

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
What's pure Google experience and nfc?

You are also forgetting that the Nexus S is already formatted to EXT4 out of the box, no rooting/romming needed to get there. This is a significant increase in performance alone. Match that with the 16GB internal space, you don't have to worry about running out of space for apps, especially if you like to download the free paid app of the day (usually a decent size game) over on the amazon app store. No need to wait for Sprint or Samsung to update the phone, Google will bring out updates relatively quick. In its relatively short life as a GSM phone (5 months), it has had 3 revision in Gingerbread and an early release of a 4th update that allows video chat with gtalk (pretty sweet, can't wait for this feature). The nexus S uses a different front facing camera (hence why the CyanogenMod team doesn't have the front facing camera working on the Epic) and is mounted properly, not sideways like it is on the epic (so no stretching on Qik, and other video messengers making the front facing camera practically USELESS). Don't get me wrong, I love how my epic performs, but I am disappointed in the updates have been for Samsung and Sprint. If you are running stock EC05, run your video camera for more than 10 seconds, see what happens. EB13 did work for me cause I have 2 gmail accounts, one i use for business, one i use for my phone apps and leisure and the business one wouldn't sync as a secondary account (these are things that just HAVE to work). EC05 has been out for a while now and the only thing we have to look forward to is hoping Gingerbread fixes it. I ran the leak and the radio completely crashed, and wouldn't recover.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
The lack of removable memory bothers me. I have already put a 32GB card in my EPIC. I would have to delete some videos and other stuff just to go down to 16GB..
I too hope that Samsung gets on the ball with better updates.
I would like to have a device like the Captivate (no keyboard) for Sprint.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean? I have a rooted stock odexed EC05 rom and kernel and I have run videos in 720p for a couple of minutes and everything is fine?

Thanks

Most of the rom devs stuck the camera app from the eb13 rom in ec05 since it's compatible and fixes the issue. The video recorder crashed on me the few moments I was running stock. It's a well documented issue at xda, hence why it's been fixed for custom roms

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Most of the rom devs stuck the camera app from the eb13 rom in ec05 since it's compatible and fixes the issue. The video recorder crashed on me the few moments I was running stock. It's a well documented issue at xda, hence why it's been fixed for custom roms

Oh ok, I applied the individual patch/fixs to my stock EC05 rom? or kernel "before" the devs installed the fix's into their roms - but the fix's were only for the camera "sports FC" issue and the video lag/blur/low frame rate in low light - I don't know of any patch/fix's individual or in custom roms to fix "anything" for not recording for more than 10 seconds. I have never experience any problems with that function whether it be stock DI18, EB13, or ECO5 - that is why I was confused.

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
i have a epic. LOVE IT. thought about switching to a Nexus. I just had one in my hand. To be honest I wasnt impressed with it. Just a Epic with no keyboard. Yes it has the PURE GOOGLE EXPERIENCE but thats really the only difference. Also the nexus s had the nfc but I dont care about that either. I think thats about it!

the Epic 4G has 720p HD video recording. Nexus S 4G only has 720x480.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Bottom line the Nexus S is great for those looking for the Pure Google experience but it does have its short falls in a few areas of hardware over the Epic 4g. Each has its pros and cons, but really anyone looking at the Nexus S is probably more focused on the Pure Google and not the few short falls.

Tre Lawrence

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Bottom line the Nexus S is great for those looking for the Pure Google experience but it does have its short falls in a few areas of hardware over the Epic 4g. Each has its pros and cons, but really anyone looking at the Nexus S is probably more focused on the Pure Google and not the few short falls.

Well said...

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
The pure Google experience, I am not sure of that definition, but I know it beats waiting for Sprint/Samsung
to put out bad updates that crashes phones with lots of useless bloatware.

Luckily for me, we have able developers, so I have mine fully flashed and rommed. Therefore, I find it hard
to see some of the software differences because I pretty much can load what I want. It will be somewhat
easier to do since the root and extensions are done, but I do see a learning curve since I'm not sure what
will work from the Galaxy series and the Nexus GSM networks. There are a lot out there, but I would be
fearful to put most on my phone - and there isn't differentiation in the forums.

I don't see the memory as that big a deal, but I do feel its great for developers or people who read these forums and have a clue of what they are doing. Newbies should stick with stock. But the updates suck - I had
to hack my husband's phone (he hates it when I do that) but his stock was crashing so bad from the updates that the Repair Center couldn't do anything but give him another phone that would probably do the same.

There will be some cooler and faster ones coming out. And I put Gingerbread on my Epic already, not really a big deal.

But I want the size - don't use a keyboard and would love the thinner size - just hate to use an upgrade already . .

mikachu

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I currently own both. I upgraded from Epic to Nexus S.
Advantages of Epic:
-Louder speakers
-More saturated colors on display, which means it makes colors and everything look prettier(if you like that).
-touchwiz(if you like that). Myself, I liked touchwiz b/c of the quick options for turning on and off radios and other stuff.
-better video recording
-Easier to grip and feels better in the hands, nexus feels like it will slip out unless you put a case on it.

Advantages of Nexus(disadvantages of Epic):
-Nexus will always be updated to the latest Android OS versions!
-Colors are way more accurate(if you like that).
-Pure google(if you like that).
-Sexy as hell(fact)
-Way better form factor i.e. nice and slim.
-NFID(honestly, this is useless right now)

If I had a choice between the 2, I would go for the nexus s b/c its cooler looking. If I had bad hands, then I would go for Epic cuz its so comfortable to hold.

If i were to upgrade from Epic to Nexus, I wouldnt on a 2nd chance. They are not much different.

Willamette

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been salivating over a possible switch to the Nexus for a couple of weeks now and frankly I no longer see the value in it. Take away the keyboard, neuter the memory capacity, strip the apps, and put in a mediocre camera and charge more for it -- you have the Nexus S. Keep your Epic, buy an Epic ($100 in Best Buy and $50 on Amazon), or wait for the Nexus price to drop -- significantly. My two cents, if that's worth anything these days.

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
All good points. I think the Nexus S has its place and its a good move on Sprints part to bring in the Pure Google phone. Sprint should benefit from this because there are many out there that want the vanilla Android (Pure Google) and not Touchwiz and all its headaches. The updates directly from Google are a big bonus too also the fact that the Nexus S comes formatted and running EXT4 filesystem out of the box so its ready to rock from the start and setup to do so without worries.

On the other hand as many have mentioned the Epic 4g is a excellent performer and is no slouch by any means up against the Nexus S.

Overall I don't think you can go wrong with either purchase, its more a personal preference than one really out doing the other by any big extent. As I've said from the day I bought my Epic, many have bailed on it due to lack of updates and early headaches with the GPS but I think you will see the Epic 4g pushed to its limits still for time to come and be in use for the next year or so while the bugs and such are worked out of the newer devices such as dual cores. Besides other than gaming and some other small areas the dual cores aren't really offering much more in my opinion over the current top of the line single cores like the Evo/Epic/Nexus, etc... I think the true "use" of the dual core speed and crunching power is still going to be limited by carrier provided speeds when it comes to movies/flash player/online content which is what will really utilize that extra speed boost and power.