Up volume key doesn't work! (neither does the 1,q,a,shift, or Fn button!)

Nohl75

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
My volume up button doesnt work anymore. Neither does the 1,q,a,Fn, Shift key on the keyboard work either! I have no clue why only these don't work and if i hit the shift key and m, the screen goes off. I have syndicate rom frozen. I guess I am going to have to take the phone back to radioshack monday, unless someone else knows how to fix this.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, sounds like a return is needed. If they won't help you see if Samsung will do it under the Manufacturer warranty.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Take it back. Ribbon cable either has bad contact or a something is blocking one of the trace routes.
When you see a row of keys go out like that its the most likely cenario.

Nohl75

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I decided I am going to take the phone back to radio shack. I went into clockwork and restored the 'before EXT4 conversion" backup. Now when the phone boots up it it flashes an android sign in the middle of the boot. I can't use odin to go back to completely stock, because my "1" key doesnt work! anyone have a solution cause I would hate not to be able to return the phone because they know I hacked it. So is there anyway to hook into Odin without using the 1 key?

Moqtada

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I have the same exact problem, and it happened on May 6th as well.

I was wondering if this was an update issue.
Tomorrow I am going to backup my contacts and whatnot and do a factory reset.
My phone is not rooted, so I'll post an update as to weather this fixes the problem or not.

Good luck getting yours back to factory.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I decided I am going to take the phone back to radio shack. I went into clockwork and restored the 'before EXT4 conversion" backup. Now when the phone boots up it it flashes an android sign in the middle of the boot. I can't use odin to go back to completely stock, because my "1" key doesnt work! anyone have a solution cause I would hate not to be able to return the phone because they know I hacked it. So is there anyway to hook into Odin without using the 1 key?
You are in luck if your rooted/running EC05 based ROM.

Follow the instructions on the link below, you will need to place the files on your sdcard card and boot into CWM and follow the instructions. If done correctly you will get a EC05 stock device with no signs of rooting when completed. Then you can have your phone serviced/replaced without issue.
[ROM][STOCK]ReRFS Format Stock ROM EC05

I have the same exact problem, and it happened on May 6th as well.

I was wondering if this was an update issue.
Tomorrow I am going to backup my contacts and whatnot and do a factory reset.
My phone is not rooted, so I'll post an update as to weather this fixes the problem or not.

Good luck getting yours back to factory.
This is not an update issue.. Sounds like the OP had a hardware failure and if your having the same problem then its possible your having a hardware failure also.

Reactions: Nohl75

Nohl75

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
You are in luck if your rooted/running EC05 based ROM.

Follow the instructions on the link below, you will need to place the files on your sdcard card and boot into CWM and follow the instructions. If done correctly you will get a EC05 stock device with no signs of rooting when completed. Then you can have your phone serviced/replaced without issue.
[ROM][STOCK]ReRFS Format Stock ROM EC05

This is not an update issue.. Sounds like the OP had a hardware failure and if your having the same problem then its possible your having a hardware failure also.

It worked! No more clockwork anymore either, just like when it was brand new!

Nohl75

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I took it back to radio shack today and they wouldn't take it because I have had it more than 30 days. SO apparently I have to get in touch with Samsung, which I have no clue how to do. Why do things have to be so dang complicated and frustrating! I will probably have to send the phone back and be with out a phone for a while, which is really bad considering I need my phone for work. Anyone else have to send their phone back was it easy, how do I go about it, and how long did it take?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I took it back to radio shack today and they wouldn't take it because I have had it more than 30 days. SO apparently I have to get in touch with Samsung, which I have no clue how to do. Why do things have to be so dang complicated and frustrating! I will probably have to send the phone back and be with out a phone for a while, which is really bad considering I need my phone for work. Anyone else have to send their phone back was it easy, how do I go about it, and how long did it take?

Contact Samsung, using their tech support number at SAMSUNG

I've heard from a few people that turn around time was in the neighborhood of about 6-10 business days and that all depends also on Samsung honoring your device, which in your situation I'm sure there will not be an issue.

ghmacdonald

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Repair of Sprint Epic

Hi

I believe that Sprint will repair one of there phones for $35.00. You need to take it to a Sprint corporate store that that has repair shop. We took my wife's transform there when the touch screen stopped working.

Good luck

George

Nohl75

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I feel like an idiot. I just got through talking to samsung tech support via chat. They told me to do a soft reset and pull my battery for 30 seconds. I thought, this is such a waste of time. But after I did the soft reset my phone worked fine again! LOL. Thank you God!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I feel like an idiot. I just got through talking to samsung tech support via chat. They told me to do a soft reset and pull my battery for 30 seconds. I thought, this is such a waste of time. But after I did the soft reset my phone worked fine again! LOL. Thank you God!
Thats great! We can chalk that up as one of the few times a reset and battery pull actually worked...

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
No Kidding. Did it fix the other keys? or was yours just the volume key. I forgot already. LOL

Anytime i have issues with my device thats one of the first things i do. Glad to see your phone is working again.

Nohl75

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
yeah it fixed all the keys but last night it quit working right again, so I am about to pull the battery again and see if it works again. I hope so. It is starting to get annoying though

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I still think its a hardware issue. It wiggled loose on one part, once it lost contact nothing worked. Rebooting it caused the device to see it fully connected and working untill it came loose again.
It could also be a slight break in the ribbon cable. When there is a certain amount of movement the break re-opens causing the keys to go dead and stay dead..

anon(73869)

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Up volume key doesn't work! (neither does the 1,q,a,shift, or

I still think its a hardware issue. It wiggled loose on one part, once it lost contact nothing worked. Rebooting it caused the device to see it fully connected and working untill it came loose again.
It could also be a slight break in the ribbon cable. When there is a certain amount of movement the break re-opens causing the keys to go dead and stay dead..

I got the same issue. I went so far as to order a new keyboard, found one cheap. Still doesn't work even after replacing the keyboard. Bought the phone off ebay and this just started happening a week or two ago, phone worked fine for 2 months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34