Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    ACS Syndicate Frozen 1.1

Default Ugh...Netflix on HTC devices but no Epic yet

Netflix releases Android app for select HTC phones, Samsung Nexus S -- Engadget

Why no love for the Epic? What the heck is requisite video playback functionality anyways?

Any chance this APK can be hacked to work on our device?

The Captivate guys already have it working on one of their ROMs, so I don't see why it couldn't be done for the Epic as well.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Powerful, multimedia phone doesn't get Netflix at launch. Oh well. I guess if there are bugs with Netflix they will get worked out before arriving for the Epic.
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

Good thing I switched from epic to nexus on Monday.

Default ??

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkA4 View Post
    Epic 4g and Nexus S are virtually the same phone. They are both hummingbird processor. Its a mystery why netflix wouldnt release support for epic 4g as well Why cant i try using the Nexus S Install on my epic 4g?

If anyone gets a Nexus S Netflix APK Would you mind posting link to it on here so i can attempt to use it on my epic 4g

That's why I have an iPod Touch 4G. Netflix and Hulu+ apps. Both need to come to Android soon though. Kinda ridiculous that we don't have them.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by pxraver View Post
    If anyone gets a Nexus S Netflix APK Would you mind posting link to it on here so i can attempt to use it on my epic 4g
    just google it... it says "your device is currently not supported" I was going to look into changing the build.prop to see if that works (old school fix)

Global Posts
    615 Global Posts

To be fair. The EVO did come out 2 months before the EPIC. I would expect Netflix to work on the EPIC in about two months. Also, I'd assume they'd limit support to gingerbread to keep support and testing costs down for the EPIC.

Global Posts
    360 Global Posts

probably due to the buggy 2.2.1 froyo version on stock epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ruffolo View Post
    just google it... it says "your device is currently not supported" I was going to look into changing the build.prop to see if that works (old school fix)
    Still doesn't work.

kind of bummed this doesn't work on the Epic. Hopefully they add support soon since the Nexus S is so similar or the devs here/xda figure out a way to get it to work.

ROM
    EH17 U. Metamorphosis 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkA4 View Post
    I am sorry!!! .I believe, you just got a old phone with a brand new price tag and new contract as well. Well, my question is how can we get Netflix app on Epic?

ROM
    AOKP'ing it.

Eh, I wouldn't worry too much about it. We know we have a powerful device in the Epic and it's destined to get Gingerbread (we hope). So just be patient.

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts
    ROM
    Paranoid Android

Netflix app is confirmed to work with leaked Gingerbread builds for the Epic. So either Netflix updates their app to work with 2.2 Epics or official Gingerbread is released and it will work then. At least we know it will work someday soon.

Epic 4g and Nexus S are virtually the same phone. They are both hummingbird processor. Its a mystery why netflix wouldnt release support for epic 4g as well Why cant i try using the Nexus S Install on my epic 4g?
    My suspicion is that when the decisions were made, Epic was still 2.1.
    Phone: Nexus 6 | ROM: Pure Shamu 3.5 | Kernel: Stock

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    My suspicion is that when the decisions were made, Epic was still 2.1.
    The 2 phones are extremely different software wise. The way they handle DRM content is very different. Plus, why would Samsung want something that competes with their mediahub?

ROM
    EH17 U. Metamorphosis 2.0

The 2 phones are extremely different software wise. The way they handle DRM content is very different. Plus, why would Samsung want something that competes with their mediahub?
    You have a good point Andrew. It is all about money.

Global Posts
    951 Global Posts
    ROM
    Only Jelly Bean or ICS!

actually ppl are having horrible issues with the nexus s with wifi and 4g reception where they have no bars or barely any coverage when a different phone like the evo is next to it with full bars and full wifi coverage.

i wouldnt celebrate about the switch yet until all those serious kinks are worked out.
    If you think i helped you, please click the Thanks button on the right

Global Posts
    615 Global Posts

Other than no upgrading the OS on phones, Samsung has no real control over what software gets designed for their phones. Samsung could feasibly manipulate the OS to make it more difficult for select software developers to develop apps, but since it's open source the PR onslaught on this alone deters them from trying to control software development for their phones.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by coolqf View Post
    Other than no upgrading the OS on phones, Samsung has no real control over what software gets designed for their phones. Samsung could feasibly manipulate the OS to make it more difficult for select software developers to develop apps, but since it's open source the PR onslaught on this alone deters them from trying to control software development for their phones.
    It has to do with Froyo and what the Manufacturer used to support DRM content. Samsung has its own DRM service built in. Until we have a truely functional AOSP Rom (never since we hope GB is right around the corner), Netflix isn't working in Froyo. It works in Gingerbread due to that OS's built in DRM handling. This is why it works on the Epic with GB, the Motorola Devices with GB, the Nuxus and Nexus S with GB.

I would agree, but HBOGO works fine & has a lot of video content. I don't see why they cant get Netflix to work on the Epic.

ROM
    Bonsai4All 4.0.0

Default Re: Ugh...Netflix on HTC devices but no Epic yet

It's into July now, and no support for the Epic from Netflix yet. Anyone have any newer info out there? (From the app side, it looks like the Netflix app hasn't been updated in a while. No new phones listed in the last couple months.)
    ATT Motorola MPX200 >> Sprint PPC-6700 >> Sprint Mogul PPC-6800 >> Sprint HTC Snap >> Sprint Samsung Epic 4G now on CyanogenMod 10.2.2

Global Posts
    360 Global Posts

Default Re: Ugh...Netflix on HTC devices but no Epic yet

yeah, i think netflix is waiting for epic to officially get the GB release.

I am running gb aa i3 and I got netflix working, it asks to upgrade, I just push cancel an it goes to login and wrks for me

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast