Push Email app? Doesn't seem like it should be this hard to find...

Stearmandriver

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking for an app that can give me push email for POP and IMAP accounts. I need to have 4 accounts set up - I believe a mix of POP and IMAP (possibly some Exchange thrown in there). I would really like them all to push, because polling four different accounts every 15 mins or so really does take a toll on battery. As an added bonus, I'd like a master inbox, where I could view all incoming messages for all accounts in one place.

The Palm Pre I came from had this functionality out of the box. The Treos I used before that had most of it too. Why can't I seem to find it for the Epic? Surely not EVERYONE on android just uses Gmail? ;)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Joe

lancelot916

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried K9 email? it's the best out there. it's not perfect, and as an ex-Pre user myself, I DO miss webOS's email app.

in the meantime, K9 will have to do... i wish there were better instructions. you can turn off polling and turn on push.

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried K9 email? it's the best out there. it's not perfect, and as an ex-Pre user myself, I DO miss webOS's email app.

in the meantime, K9 will have to do... i wish there were better instructions. you can turn off polling and turn on push.

Yep, K9 is your best bet. I ran with that for a while. I have both a gmail and a yahoo mail account to keep track of. Now I have gmail check my yahoo mail so I get both in my gmail inbox. Saves me an extra 17-25 MB of RAM not having K9's push service running in the background.

@ Stearmandriver, you don't happen to actually fly the Stearman-Boeing Model 75 biplane do you?

Last edited:

Stearmandriver

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Cool guys, I'll try K9.... I did read through it on the catalog, but wasn't left with a clear understanding of whether it pushed everything or not. Thanks.

Donmeister, I do fly a Stearman... or at least I did. I had a flight instructing job in IL for a few years in the late 90's, and we had a bunch of tailwheel and acro planes. I've spent a lot of time in both pits of a Stearman (flying it myself, giving rides/at airshows, and doing checkouts in it). When I moved on, the flight school owners kept me insured on the airplane because the insurance company was really nit-picky about insuring new instructors on it. So I continued to help them out in the summers, hopping rides and teaching, till the insurance rates to keep the plane on leaseback got unsustainable and she had to come offline. Still miss that old bird. She was just a stock 1942 model, 220hp Continental, no electrical system, but those summer evenings, buzzing the river down below treeline, hopping up and over into a cornfield to chase the deer... or coming over the top of a loop in the back pit, tilting your head back to find the horizon and seeing the whole world spread out over your head... yeah, that stays with ya. ;-)

Joe

Reactions: Donmeister85

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Cool guys, I'll try K9.... I did read through it on the catalog, but wasn't left with a clear understanding of whether it pushed everything or not. Thanks.

Donmeister, I do fly a Stearman... or at least I did. I had a flight instructing job in IL for a few years in the late 90's, and we had a bunch of tailwheel and acro planes. I've spent a lot of time in both pits of a Stearman (flying it myself, giving rides/at airshows, and doing checkouts in it). When I moved on, the flight school owners kept me insured on the airplane because the insurance company was really nit-picky about insuring new instructors on it. So I continued to help them out in the summers, hopping rides and teaching, till the insurance rates to keep the plane on leaseback got unsustainable and she had to come offline. Still miss that old bird. She was just a stock 1942 model, 220hp Continental, no electrical system, but those summer evenings, buzzing the river down below treeline, hopping up and over into a cornfield to chase the deer... or coming over the top of a loop in the back pit, tilting your head back to find the horizon and seeing the whole world spread out over your head... yeah, that stays with ya. ;-)

Joe

Awesome! How coincidental it was that I just happened to be at an airshow at MCAS New River, Jacksonville, NC. They had one there parked on the ramp and it was so cool being that up close and personal to that piece of history. I absolutely love aircraft of all types. I'm a jet fighter freak really, but still, must've been some fun flying in something that YOU control, and not being at the mercy of flight control computers and such. :D And you're the second person that I met on AC that had some reference to an airplane in their username. Rock on!

Oh, and back on topic... K9 can be kind of annoying to set up. At least for me. Main reason is because for me, using a yahoo mail account, I don't have a plus account, so it was kind of like I had to jump through hoops to try and get stuff to automatically push, vs. having to poll the server. I never set up a hotmail or exchange account on it though. Let us know how it goes.

lancelot916

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
yeah what i would say is that K9 is great but not perfect. I have 2 IMAP accounts, personal and work addresses (so it's not yahoo or gmail) and they are both set to push with polling off. I still get the emails 4-5 minutes later vs. actual push. i dont know what gives, but maybe that's how it is...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87