Pre - to Epic... wow.. why did I wait.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
as a follow up, how have fomer pre- users found reception? better worse, I know some people are complaining about the ec05 froyo modem firmware.

Welcome to Android-
I am a long time Palm user and Pre convert.
I picked up the Epic on launch day and haven't turne excellent reception, 4G is spotty around Southern CA. But I get excellent 4G at home & work.

I am on a rooted Epic running Total Epic rebirth Froyo build DK28, no problems to speak of.

I decided not flash the other Froyo builds including the most recent Sprint Froyo release. So far DK28 has been very stable build.

kridder0

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Just switched from the Pre. Liking the hardware! Missing the WebOS... But, I guess I'll get used to it.

What is this Syndicate ROM that is being discussed?

rprockey

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Just switched from the Pre. Liking the hardware! Missing the WebOS... But, I guess I'll get used to it.

What is this Syndicate ROM that is being discussed?

SyndicateROM, like many of the other ROMs, is a custom ROM based off Samsung/Sprint's EC05 ROM. Because it's based on the manufactures ROM it's specific to the Epic 4g device and works very well. As is typical with custom ROMs, unnecessary parts are removed, improvements are added and the end product is hopefully a more polished better running version than the original.

While digging up the link for the SRF I see they released a new version 1.1.1. Sweet.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1091680

If you're on the fence about rooting and loading custom ROMs, I advise you to wait and see how the upcomming gingerbread update performs. If there are any improvements that you'dlike to see keep an eye on the AC and XDA forums
for any tweaks or ROMs that provide those improvements.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Reactions: kridder0
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
you waited because WebOS is simply amazing and you were hoping sprint would get a newer better hardward device. (as did I, 14month pre owner since it launched, then alas Android kept calling me)

cheburashka

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. Wish I could have WebOS on this hardware, with the Android Market....

Yeas, I wish I could dualboot webos on my epic (I DO own 2 sprint pres and so believe I DO have the right to activate (up to) 2 webos licences). There was a project to port webos to android, unfortunatelly (afaik) the ppl beind it made a mistake to try distribute a ready port (or something like that) instead of letting pre owners to brew their own ports so they got shut down. :(
Oh, how I wish that Google would have bought Palm instead. Maybe w could get the Live Multitasking and pre's card interface, or something similar 8-/

But I digress...

I've been using a Palm for, well, since the Treo 650. So awhile. I was inline at 6:00 am for the Pre June 6th 2 year ago. i've been trying to tell everyone how great webos is (it really is a FANTASTIC OS), but with no Pre3 on sprint, my wife just have to get 2 pre -'s in less than a week for stupid hardware failures, we decided to move on.

After much debating we figured the few quirks with the Epic wouldn't be worse than our Pre- and the Evo just didn't catch our fancy. After a day of hard use I couldn't be happier. So while I'll still keep on eye on webos for future upgrade for now I'm in a Epic and must say it's a pretty swank phone. So HI all, you should be seeing a bit of me around here.

Welcome to Android!

As the person above me stated. Webos is AWESOME and you were waiting for a better hardware to come out "in the coming monthes". I got my epic in september, desided to take it for a spin for a year untill next webos device comes out, but now I don't know if ill go back. Remember there were "rumors" popping up about a new pre coming out sometime in september-october? Its coming, its coming, its coming. Whatever. And there were those that said there's nothing in near future, not until june anyway. Well, sadly they were right. I really want to see webos succeed, but...

At first Android fels not as simple and logical as webos, it takes some getting used to. But its great once yiu leatn it :)

Last edited:

P. Doeboy

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Things I miss about my pre: the todo list, Preware PATCHES (where is this on android?!?!), simple multitasking, simple wifi tether, screen shots, never a reason to root.

I had a sprint pre and found the thread on precentral about getting the wifi tether app for free and used it to the MAX. With the epic I either have to root, or pay sprint to use the app my phone came with :(. Seems like I can't take screenshot without rooting with the Epic. Also Preware let me install patches like no tomorrow! I could MANUALLY roam whenever my signal sucked, I had my top bar loaded with the info I like to see (date & battery percentage), and I haven't found a todo list app quite as simple yet complete as the one that came with the pre. Did any of y'all use the todo list on the Pre?

Funky Cricket

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I live in exchange so the calendar is all I use.

I use memo's for taking quick notes now and again, but no todo lists.

Screen shots and no rooting will be missed.

Right now the biggest thing I'm missing is type to "fill in the blank". I used to just open the phone app and start typing a contacts name... now I have to hit contacts, type, choose the contact, then choose "call"...

I'm getting used to it, but it's still not as smooth as I'd like, I'll see about rooting, probably will, but not till after GB get's released and they have new ways to do it. I don't tether much, but when I do it's usually in a pinch at work when a clients internet is down.

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Screen shots and no rooting will be missed.

Shootme claims it needs root to work, but I was able to use it without root, as have many people.

Right now the biggest thing I'm missing is type to "fill in the blank". I used to just open the phone app and start typing a contacts name... now I have to hit contacts, type, choose the contact, then choose "call"...

Hit the search button and type.

ryleyinstl

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I made the plunge on the long weekend. TS, Multi-task and notifications are what I miss the most. That said after searching and downloading from the Market I have something I can live with. Better applications (like Google Maps that actually works) is a big reason for me dumping webOS. If HP can get that sorted out then webOS has a bright future.

I have rooted and flashed Bonsai v4.4.1 for the claimed battery life improvements....still testing that.

mcharkowski

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I got my Epic about 4 weeks ago, and I REALLY miss WebOS. And a portrait keyboard. And Preware. WebOS was definitely the most "productive" phone that I've ever had.

But without a Pre3, there aren't any other options. Android doesn't have the unified look/feel that WebOS had. But considering the product and how it's implemented on so many different pieces of hardware, with so many different manufacturers, and so many different "value add" software (Sense, TouchWiz, MotoBlur, etc.), what else would you expect.

That being said, Android has a lot of great apps. I really like a lot of them. And SFR is a great improvement on the stock ROM.

But if the Pre3 arrives on Sprint, my Epic is probably going on eBay.

Funky Cricket

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I had trouble being productive on the pre- after awhile, with no good vnc, ssh or rdp apps to use in a pinch.

I miss webos email client a bit, but i'm getting used to the touchwiz one, I'm not switching to touchdown, alot of people in my office have had issues with it.

if HP can get the same apps... i might go back. I really liked the OS. but android is like windows, and I'm totally a windows dork, so I get how it "just works with everything, you have to customize it your self"..

do miss preware and the konomi code to root.

Galane

May 19, 2011
Visit site
If HP wants WebOS to be any sort of success, they'll have to license it to other hardware manufacturers. WebOS doesn't have the 'deep time' in the market like Apple's systems have.

Palm tried for a while to license their OS to other companies, then made the colossally idiotic move of selling their OS to another company so they'd have to pay to use their own creation. To cap off the stupidity, Palm then wouldn't adopt Palm OS 6 and since Palm wouldn't none of the other Palm OS device makers would either.

Apple is a textbook example of how to go about being a sole source of both hardware and OS.

Palm initially was, then stayed a success while also licensing their OS to others, even re-branding some of their hardware. Then Palm got stupid, the creators left and formed Handspring, Palm split into hardware and software divisions, and somewhere in there the creators came back, Palm OS got sold off to Access, everyone quit making new Palm OS devices, Palm started making Windows Mobile devices (imagine if Apple announced a wPod running Windows Phone 7!) and just generally punched big holes in the hull of their sinking boat until producing WebOS and the Pre - too late - unless HP can shuck the stupid and do the hard stuff that will be required to save it.

joselito76

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Same with me i just switch from the pre to the epic tired of waiting for the pre 3 or something else and no more up dates fro the original pre so i did the jump. What a great phone i install GB leak but to many issues so i am back to stuck waiting for the official release of GB before i try again with a different ROM,but i miss the card multitasking i will still keeping my eyes on web os I still going to precentral to see whats new, and I may get the webos tablet .

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I have a good buddy who REFUSES to upgrade from his pre to an epic because............hes thinks the epic is too BIG!!!! lol I tell him, "are you a girl or something?!?!?!" I told him that every smartphone from now on will be the size of the epic if not bigger!! So get used to it! lolol

Funky Cricket

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I have a good buddy who REFUSES to upgrade from his pre to an epic because............hes thinks the epic is too BIG!!!! lol I tell him, "are you a girl or something?!?!?!" I told him that every smartphone from now on will be the size of the epic if not bigger!! So get used to it! lolol

I thought it would be a bit big, but it's not too bad, too much bigger and it will start to get out of control. This is still pocketable in both the front shirt pocket and front pants pocket. The slider keyboard is a bit wide, but with two hands typing is pretty quick and accurate. I don't have a case though, just an invisi-sheild screen cover.

Has a few bugs, but WWAAYYYY better then the current state of the pre-, and I didn't have to convert my videos!!!

hlozano

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Had to switch back to the my old Pre a pair of days because of a bricked epic and I have not lost an incoming call. All calls go thru, got google voice on sprint and when I had the Pre had not received any lost call emails. Yesterday I switch back to the epic, and it start loosing calls again, even with all bars, I just got emails of a lost call.
Also less calls droped on the Pre that on the epic...

Galane

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I had to get a new belt case for my Epic because the one I was using with my env2 was too small. Had to change laptop cases when I got my current laptop.

Someone should do a filksong of "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" by Daft Punk. ;)
Wider.
Longer.
Bigger.
Thicker.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1