Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Pre - to Epic... wow.. why did I wait.

I've been using a Palm for, well, since the Treo 650. So awhile. I was inline at 6:00 am for the Pre June 6th 2 year ago. i've been trying to tell everyone how great webos is (it really is a FANTASTIC OS), but with no Pre3 on sprint, my wife just have to get 2 pre -'s in less than a week for stupid hardware failures, we decided to move on.

After much debating we figured the few quirks with the Epic wouldn't be worse than our Pre- and the Evo just didn't catch our fancy. After a day of hard use I couldn't be happier. So while I'll still keep on eye on webos for future upgrade for now I'm in a Epic and must say it's a pretty swank phone. So HI all, you should be seeing a bit of me around here.

I've got you covered if you're looking to root

http://forum.androidcentral.com/spri...-5-5-11-a.html
    If you'd like to donate, please click here
    All donations will go straight into my college fund!
    Thanked by 2:
    Tweakerer

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    ROM
    ACS ICS Epic / CM7 Nook

Quote Originally Posted by Funky Cricket View Post
    I've been using a Palm for, well, since the Treo 650. So awhile. I was inline at 6:00 am for the Pre June 6th 2 year ago. i've been trying to tell everyone how great webos is (it really is a FANTASTIC OS), but with no Pre3 on sprint, my wife just have to get 2 pre -'s in less than a week for stupid hardware failures, we decided to move on.

After much debating we figured the few quirks with the Epic wouldn't be worse than our Pre- and the Evo just didn't catch our fancy. After a day of hard use I couldn't be happier. So while I'll still keep on eye on webos for future upgrade for now I'm in a Epic and must say it's a pretty swank phone. So HI all, you should be seeing a bit of me around here.
    Welcome to the club! :-) I did the same thing a couple weeks ago, and I haven't for a second missed my Pre.

Well, I do miss the card metaphor for multitasking, it's sweet - but longpress home, select app multitasking isn't bad at all. Plus, the pre feels like a tiny little toy in my hands now. I will still use it for music on the go and WiFi browsing, etc.
    Tweakerer

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    ROM
    ACS ICS Epic / CM7 Nook

Quote Originally Posted by qbking77 View Post
    I've got you covered if you're looking to root

http://forum.androidcentral.com/spri...-5-5-11-a.html
    Yes you do, qbking77. THANK YOU!

Your videos were a nice reassurance as I walked through the process of rooting and installing SFR 1.1.0.

ROM
    AOKP'ing it.

Glad you hopped on with us! It's really an awesome phone. I came from a Pre also and made the switch back in December. Once you get rooted, if you decide to do so, you'll unlock even more potential goodies. :-)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Same here man, made the switch a couple weeks before you. The Epic has been rocking!

If you're looking for a custom ROM, I'll add a vote for SyndicateROM Frozen 1.1.0 (people refer to it as SRF). Stable, fast as hell, better battery.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Stearmandriver View Post
    Same here man, made the switch a couple weeks before you. The Epic has been rocking!

If you're looking for a custom ROM, I'll add a vote for SyndicateROM Frozen 1.1.0 (people refer to it as SRF). Stable, fast as hell, better battery.
    I was gunna stay stock and see if GB came out soon.
    Does that have touchwiz? I kinda like touchwiz so far, but I can always use launcher pro, alot of my friends use that one.

Tethering is my big question. From what i've read root is mandatory?

I was gunna stay stock and see if GB came out soon.
    Does that have touchwiz? I kinda like touchwiz so far, but I can always use launcher pro, alot of my friends use that one.

Tethering is my big question. From what i've read root is mandatory?
    Here is the link to SyndicateFrozen Rom:

The fully loaded version has touchwiz
    The standard version has launcher pro.

And yes, if you want free wireless tethering you must be rooted.
    If you'd like to donate, please click here
    All donations will go straight into my college fund!
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Think its a rip that tetherin is extra. I'm paying for data already, but I suppoe the pricing is based oon mobile data not laptop data. Just some times I need a different cisco bin than what I have or need to grab afile off ftp to fix internet and iduse my pre for that. Be nice to have back for those 10 minutes evry few months. Thanks for the links. Ill have to look into them.

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

I have a similar story. 2 months since I set down the pre and picked up the epic. I'm pleased with the device. There are thing I miss about webos but I'm not missing the flaky hardware that is the pre-.

I've been running SyndicateROM Frozen (SFR) 1.1.0 pretty much since week 1. I don't suggest running stock. The ACS has put together a really solid ROM with many performance improvements and all of the bloatware removed.

I hear there are other solid ROMs out there but I can't really speak to them.

We're also in the same boat re: teathering. Use it once in a great while but not remotely enough to pay what they are asking. SRF has a couple teathering options baked in.

There is a tool called Odin that, much like WebOS Doctor, allows you to reflash to stock when you need to. It's a great safety net.

Have fun with your new tech.
    -Rockey

ROM
    Bonsai 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by funktron View Post
    Welcome to the club! :-) I did the same thing a couple weeks ago, and I haven't for a second missed my Pre.

Well, I do miss the card metaphor for multitasking, it's sweet - but longpress home, select app multitasking isn't bad at all. Plus, the pre feels like a tiny little toy in my hands now. I will still use it for music on the go and WiFi browsing, etc.
    Holy crap. I've had my epic since they came out, and I never new about the long press home...

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

yah, getting used to the long press home and touchwiz has a decent app manager widget baked in. alot of apps will close if you "back" enough times to get there. The multitasking definitely isn't as elegant as webOS, but it's not bad after a few days of playing.

I've seen some stuff on odin, but i don't have a ton of time to mess with that stuff right now. too bad there's not a "nonroot" tethering solution. It's just one of those things when I have it I never use it, but when I don't there always times when it would save me tons of time.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

as a follow up, how have fomer pre- users found reception? better worse, I know some people are complaining about the ec05 froyo modem firmware.

ROM
    EH17 U. Metamorphosis 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Stearmandriver View Post

I agree with you 100%. I love SRF 1.1.0. However, I am using EE03 Gingerbread leak because I love watching movies through Netflix and talking on the phone by using Google talk as well. I know this leak is not faster than SRF 1.1.0 but it has what I want to.

ROM
    EH17 U. Metamorphosis 2.0

as a follow up, how have fomer. pre- users found reception? better worse, I know some people are complaining about the ec05 froyo modem firmware.
    I had bad reception with EC05 modem, now I have better reception with EE03 modem. Now I have found another solution to this problem. If you have your phone rooted you can buy an app called Roam Control I bought it for $.99. It does not matter what modem you have in your epic Sprint does not have good signal inside the building. I use this app and problem resolved!!!

I'm finding Android to be rather Mac-like in some ways. Closing an app usually doesn't *exit* it. Unlike Mac there's no handy Apple menu to pull down with a Close selection.

The long Home press I guess serves for that. Took me quite a while to get used to that when I first started using a Mac, and having only one menu bar, and having to first click a window to bring it to the front *then* click close - when on Windows it's one click to close any window if the X is visible. Tons of extra clicks with Mac.

I'm happier with systems that when an app isn't in view, it's *not running* unless I, the User In Command, wants it to stay running in the background.

Is there an app for android that can be configured for which apps to always shut down when switched away from and which to allow to run however they normally do? For example a web browser or e-mail app or the Youtube, eBay, PayPal, Google search and similar apps. They take virtually zero time to launch, so I'd rather they be shut down when not actively in use. About the only thing I'd want running in the background is a music player.

Just made the leap a couple of weeks ago as well. WebOS is CONSIDERABLY more elegant, but Android/TouchWiz (haven't rooted the phone yet... still deciding if I really have a need for it in the same way you "need" PreWare for a pre) is getting me through the day. Besides... I'm still exploring the whole new world of a "real" app store...

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

I switched from the Pre to the Epic in early April. I was apprehensive at first. I really liked WebOS, but like others put up with the Pre's flakiness.

I am glad I made the switch. I like the configurability of the Android operating system and I love the Epic. The screen is awesome.

I rooted and installed my first custom ROM (Ace 2.0) a few weeks ago, and now am running Syndicate ROM.

Looking forward to reading more of the forum and taking further into the dark side.
    Tweakerer

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    ROM
    ACS ICS Epic / CM7 Nook

As much as I like the flow of Web OS and the multitasking metaphor, I'm wondering how I ever lived without multiple homescreens and widgets.

For instance:
    On my Pre, to get to scores for all the major sports, I had to open my browser (or another app), and then navigate somewhere (ESPN, Yahoo!, etc.) and find the scoreboard on the Web page.

On my Epic, I have a live widget (Scoremobile) with scoreboards from whatever sports I choose. It's wicked fast and I am always a click away from a box score or recap.

Beautiful Widget, the Google search widget (and voice activation button!), Calendar app, an LED flashlight widget, Winamp for Android widget (LOVE) - all of them give me functionality quicker than I could get to it in WebOS.

Granted, some of that is the horsepower of the phone - the Hummingbird is zippy.

But the widgeting system is definitely something that Android has as an advantage over the other smartphone makers, IMO.

You and me both, especially with the number of Pre's I've had to replace. I'm glad to see the back of the device!

Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    ROM
    Froyo DK28

as a follow up, how have fomer pre- users found reception? better worse, I know some people are complaining about the ec05 froyo modem firmware.
    Welcome to Android-
    I am a long time Palm user and Pre convert.
    I picked up the Epic on launch day and haven't turne excellent reception, 4G is spotty around Southern CA. But I get excellent 4G at home & work.

I am on a rooted Epic running Total Epic rebirth Froyo build DK28, no problems to speak of.

I decided not flash the other Froyo builds including the most recent Sprint Froyo release. So far DK28 has been very stable build.
    Please add thanks if I have helped you in anyway. I will always spread the Aloha and reciprocate.
    Samsung Epic; Froyo DK28
    Carrier Sprint since 1998
    Palm Pilot 1997 + Nokia 7650,8200, Palm Treo 700p 2005, Palm Pre June 2009, Sayonara Palm. Android Sept. 2010

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Just switched from the Pre. Liking the hardware! Missing the WebOS... But, I guess I'll get used to it.

What is this Syndicate ROM that is being discussed?

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

In SE Michigan, my reception is not noticeably different.

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kridder0 View Post
    Just switched from the Pre. Liking the hardware! Missing the WebOS... But, I guess I'll get used to it.

What is this Syndicate ROM that is being discussed?
    SyndicateROM, like many of the other ROMs, is a custom ROM based off Samsung/Sprint's EC05 ROM. Because it's based on the manufactures ROM it's specific to the Epic 4g device and works very well. As is typical with custom ROMs, unnecessary parts are removed, improvements are added and the end product is hopefully a more polished better running version than the original.

While digging up the link for the SRF I see they released a new version 1.1.1. Sweet.

If you're on the fence about rooting and loading custom ROMs, I advise you to wait and see how the upcomming gingerbread update performs. If there are any improvements that you'dlike to see keep an eye on the AC and XDA forums
    for any tweaks or ROMs that provide those improvements.

Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    189 Global Posts

you waited because WebOS is simply amazing and you were hoping sprint would get a newer better hardward device. (as did I, 14month pre owner since it launched, then alas Android kept calling me)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast