Surprisingly good Sprint 4G speeds!

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I am in Aurburn, NY testing out the real world speeds of Sprint's 4G. They advertise between 6-10MBps. I did a speed test and to my surprise pulled 15MBps on the download and 3 on the upload. I wish i took the screenshot to prove it, but my phone is 10 times faster than it was in the 3G network! I mean i thought Sprint's 4G lagged behind Verizon's LTE, but its right up there with it (with a good signal of course....i had full service).

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I wish I could say the same. I barely get 3g at home (that's neither here nor there, I live in the sticks).
BUT, I'm traveling for work this week in Dover DE. The hotel is a stones throw from the Dover Down track. I did some speed tests this week after I picked up the Epic. I got 2mb down and 3mb up on 3g. Than I remembered that it's a 4g phone (a feature I'm likely never going to get to use again), and got about 1.5mb down and 1mb up. Obviously the tower is more than capable of the higher speeds and capacity. Would look awfully bad at a Sprint/Nextel Nascar race with thousands of fans not able to connect ;)

I tested it a couple more times over the past few nights, just in case I got a bad reading. Even tried a different speed test app. Always about the same.

Of course, location is everything. Full coverage will be better (the 4g was about 50%), 3g/voice was at 100%. Sprint keeps lighting up new areas.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Both of you have me beat. In what is supposed to be full 4g area I get 1.5 mbps 4g and 150 kbps 3g. Now that sux.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I am in Aurburn, NY testing out the real world speeds of Sprint's 4G. They advertise between 6-10MBps. I did a speed test and to my surprise pulled 15MBps on the download and 3 on the upload. I wish i took the screenshot to prove it, but my phone is 10 times faster than it was in the 3G network! I mean i thought Sprint's 4G lagged behind Verizon's LTE, but its right up there with it (with a good signal of course....i had full service).

15mbps is great... i have yet to see 7mbps on mine ... Can you try it again for like 10 runs and take some screen shots .. Thanks. I hope for the GSII they fix this radio issue. thru software or hardware. I know they are working on there towers to reduse they amount and have a better overall sigal and range , they said this months ago . if this is the cause of the weak signal who knows. Srint is slower then the other carriers but is still gets the job done in good time ( for most) .

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Interesting you got 3Mb up. from what i understand WiMax is limited for Sprint smart phone users to 1Meg up.
The best i have ever gotten around my area is 7 or 8Meg. lately its been closer to 2-5..

golden_35

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I am in Denver, close to DU. I have never had a 4g connection here. The phone only works if you are downtown, in the middle of 16th mall wearing a metal hat. EE03 Modem.

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
i think the epic out of all sprint 4g devices delivers the fastest 4g speeds (when available in your area). I;ve even noticed its gets better RF than the EVO.

btc0526

I wish I worked at google
May 25, 2011
Visit site
How can you get 3 mbps up when sprint said that there is a 1.5 mbps upload cap. Before it was 1 mbps so i highly doubt you got 3 mbps up

Last edited:

ggbballer96

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
hey i live in an area where i'm lucky if i can connect to 4g
just out of curiosity, if im in an area with a strong 4g signal will my battery drain faster than it would on 3g or would it be around the same

btc0526

I wish I worked at google
May 25, 2011
Visit site
hey i live in an area where i'm lucky if i can connect to 4g
just out of curiosity, if im in an area with a strong 4g signal will my battery drain faster than it would on 3g or would it be around the same

Even with during 4g signal your battery will die quick due to the power sipping wimax radio

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Seems speeds are getting better.
On my 3D i did a test and got just over 9 down and 1.4 up.

I had a 4G on launch day and later an EPIC, with both of those devices i would average 3-5Mb down.
so i am glad to see things are improving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton