EVO gingerbread annouced before EPIC

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
samsung obviously hasn't learned their lesson from the Froyo disaster. They simply don't give a rats *ss about getting the updates out when they say they will. They just keep giving us dates, they go by, they give us another date, it goes by. And now some buggy builds and silence from Samsung of course. Im done being patient. Ive had it with Samsung. Giant middle finger to you guys. You guys had Gingerbread in your hands from the start and you can't even get it out to your own line of phones...like wtf is up with that.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
samsung obviously hasn't learned their lesson from the Froyo disaster. They simply don't give a rats *ss about getting the updates out when they say they will. They just keep giving us dates, they go by, they give us another date, it goes by. And now some buggy builds and silence from Samsung of course. Im done being patient. Ive had it with Samsung. Giant middle finger to you guys. You guys had Gingerbread in your hands from the start and you can't even get it out to your own line of phones...like wtf is up with that.
Not defending Samsung here but they never have given us any release dates on GB, only that we will get it. As far as all the builds well at least we are seeing some activity, and the changes between ED12 and EE03 were impressive in what they accomplished in less than a months time. Now a 3rd build later I can only imagine what they have done. I think at this point after the dissapointing EB13 release and EC05 only being somewhat improved I would rather wait patiently for them to continue with these test builds and get out a solid working GB without having to go the route of EB13 where they had to pull it only 2 weeks after it went official because of bugs.

We will get it and unfortunately its going to be after HTC and others, thats just Samsung's way. I guess not much you can do except, deal with it or move onward to another device when your contract is up.

regenouis

May 19, 2011
Visit site
With Samsung, I'm hoping they are playing it cautious this time around. Last push that went through created a LOT of buggy phones. I went from seeing maaaaaybe an epic every week or so for repair, to 4-5 a day for software issues. So I would personally rather them take their time, than rush it out and create mooore isues.

With the EVO they really can't create much more work for us, they are already the #1 phone brought in for repairs at both locations I've worked.

Bmwillz

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site

I personally think its too soon to jump down anyone's throat especially after the rumbling went away after waiting a year and change for the last update but....... that was funny as hell lol ^^^

Funky Cricket

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I just found it funny, we see build after build, which is GOOD, as they are fixing the bugs, but then BAM, EVO says they are getting it right away.

I just hope it's soon. and not buggy.

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site

Though I completely understand your frustration with their Froyo debacle (I was one of their biggest critics at the time), it's unfair to attack them for not having Gbread just yet. Keep in mind the Evo came out way before the Epic, so it would make sense that they get Gbread first. Also, to my knowledge, Samsprint never set a release date for GB, and their builds (while buggy) have shown a great deal of progress, proving that they are working hard at getting it out.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
To add to this, let the EVO get GB ahead of us.. Maybe their version was a bit rushed, might be buggy and they will end up regretting throwing it out so quickly. Either way the ongoing builds and the most recent "EF02" build is a great sign that Samsung & Sprint are putting a lot of effort into giving us what seems to be a well tested GB when its released. I'm sure there will end up being at least 1 update to fix any remaining bugs, possibly even bring us to Gingerbread v2.3.4 instead of just Gingerbread v.2.3.3

Robcy

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
The EVO is the poster phone for Sprint, and has been for a while now. That it gets GB first is not a surprise. The EVO has a 2.3.4 working ROM in this forum, so that phone has always been ahead of the Epic in the OS department.

With that said, I would be upset if we do not get GB within the next month considering the GB leaks are pretty complete.

stinkins

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I'll let you all know how the Evo does with GB. I have the Epic and my wife got the Evo...so I can do a real quick comparison once she gets GB on her phone.

leiferthelucky

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
For a quick Gingerbread fix, I installed a few apps from Steven Lin:

https://market.android.com/developer?pub=Steven+Lin

The launcher works great and without all the overhead of something like ADW or OpenHome. Love the keyboard and live wallpaper, too. Obviously you don't get all the performance enhancements of Gingerbread, but it's the best way I've found to dump the TouchWiz interface for something more vanilla.

regenouis

May 19, 2011
Visit site
a couple things, first and foremost, the EVO getting updates has nothing to do with Sprint really, it's more between manufacture and google.

Secondly I saw the new update on a customers phone today for the EVO, and it's primarily just a fix for bugs, very few actual cosmetic changes or cool new features added.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I also have never seen a release date for GB on the epic. In all honesty, I could give a rats arse if it is 3 months away. As long as it's better done than froyo.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Galane

May 19, 2011
Visit site
FroYo brought us a screwed up accelerometer calibration, no fix for it except for doing the horizontal calibration with the Epic face down.

It also brought us a fouled up date display for the entire month of May.

No updates to fix either, though the May bug is just cosmetic, but visible every time the phone is turned on. I'd expect a patch for a really serious bug like the accelerometer foul up.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
FroYo brought us a screwed up accelerometer calibration, no fix for it except for doing the horizontal calibration with the Epic face down.

It also brought us a fouled up date display for the entire month of May.

No updates to fix either, though the May bug is just cosmetic, but visible every time the phone is turned on. I'd expect a patch for a really serious bug like the accelerometer foul up.
The rotation lag or accelerometer calibration as its known is fixed in GB. No need to use any of the previous fixes in Froyo on the leaked EE03 :)

The date dispay was a minor glitch, the lockscreens I was using weren't even affected by it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa