1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anyone jumping to the evo 3d?

Curious as to see if any of us on here are going to make the switch to the evo 3d. Since there is an official date now. Personally, I'm going to give GB a try. But if that doesn't fix my wifi issue and radio problems I'm probably jumping ship back to htc.

ROM
    Bonsai 4.1.1

Seeing as how I see an overwhelming number of evos, and evo shifts, and only a very small number of epics I think ill stay put.....unless I pick up the Nexus S. That phone is a very sexy beast.

Sent from my SPH-D700

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanGB 1.1.2-MTD

Naaaah, most likely not. My Epic and I are tight

Might be sexy, but I only lasted a day before not getting squat for reception (wifi, 3g OR 4g) drove me to return it for my current Epic. And as for the Evo...unless they enhanced battery life a bunch, it's no sale for me. I came from the Evo and I lost half my battery listening to a 40 minute podcast. Still have half a dozen batteries at home for it. UGH! Y'all...stick with the Epic....the grass AIN'T greener in this instance.

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by BoomerFZ1 View Post
    Might be sexy, but I only lasted a day before not getting squat for reception (wifi, 3g OR 4g) drove me to return it for my current Epic. And as for the Evo...unless they enhanced battery life a bunch, it's no sale for me. I came from the Evo and I lost half my battery listening to a 40 minute podcast. Still have half a dozen batteries at home for it. UGH! Y'all...stick with the Epic....the grass AIN'T greener in this instance.
    It does have a bigger battery, but I definitely wouldn't consider the Evo 3D until custom kernels start to come out. I was getting over a day on the original battery of the thunderbolt with LTE coverage with a battery sipper kernel. The Reboot/Random shut off issues were too annoying and I returned it. I didn't have any issues with GB leak at all, but the reports of people's phones getting bricked had me going back to stock Sense and Froyo. Those kernels will come out, probably sooner rather than later as there is a big draw to the Evo 3D. You probably should have tried custom kernels for the Evo, I'm sure plenty of those are around.

Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

Not in any rush to switch phones and I'm not willing to upgrade at full price. I do like HTC and will look at their offerings next year once my contract is up, by then the EVO 3D will be old news.
    I'm pretty happy with the Epic and looking forward to the next update.

I tried a bunch of different ROMs with it but I'm not nearly techy (geeky...nerdy...what have you) to mess with the kernel. I got a wee better results depending on the ROM and what I enabled/disabled. Sucks that all these 4G/LTE phones eat up battery so much. Makes me wish they'd just push 3g as hard as it can go. I think I heard it can run out to like 60+mps. That's way more than enough for me on a celly.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomerFZ1 View Post
    I tried a bunch of different ROMs with it but I'm not nearly techy (geeky...nerdy...what have you) to mess with the kernel. I got a wee better results depending on the ROM and what I enabled/disabled. Sucks that all these 4G/LTE phones eat up battery so much. Makes me wish they'd just push 3g as hard as it can go. I think I heard it can run out to like 60+mps. That's way more than enough for me on a celly.
    Flashing a kernel is exactly the same as flashing a ROM - place zip on SD and flash in Clockwork.

As far as switching, I probably wouldn't consider it until the bootloader is unlocked.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokx View Post
    Flashing a kernel is exactly the same as flashing a ROM - place zip on SD and flash in Clockwork.

As far as switching, I probably wouldn't consider it until the bootloader is unlocked.
    Isn't it coming with the bootloader unlocked?
    zak

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

there is no phone that I'm willing to consider switching from my Epic while paying full price. Doesn't mean i'm not looking though.

Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 2.9.5

Nah, I don't think so on the Evo 3D, at least not yet. I want to see what Sprint and Motorola announce in a few days, plus I want to see how the Samsung Within (silly name btw) stacks up before making a purchase. And who knows, maybe LG will throw a high end Android phone Sprint's way just to make things really interesting.

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts

Nah. The main benefits that attract me aren't enough. I'll be holding out for a Global phone, which I'm sure we'll start seeing in the next 6 months.

ROM
    AOKP'ing it.

Too true. As long as that bootloader is locked, they can keep it. The Epic 4G is my first Android smartphone and I've enjoyed tinkering with it to the max.

I did enter the sweepstakes to try to win one though for the Mrs. though.

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Donmeister85 View Post
    Too true. As long as that bootloader is locked, they can keep it. The Epic 4G is my first Android smartphone and I've enjoyed tinkering with it to the max.

I did enter the sweepstakes to try to win one though for the Mrs. though.
    Its not locked
    http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-an...tloader-policy

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts

I'll be upgrading to it in September when my 1 year is up unless there are serious problems with it during it's first 2 months. I'm sick of Samsung being so far behind anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ruffolo View Post
    That is for future phones though. The Sensation units were already produced and probably shipped with locked bootloaders. In other countries that already have the Senstion, it's locked. Nothing that an update can't fix however, if they decide to send one out..

Sent by a little green robot

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

That is for future phones though. The Sensation units were already produced and probably shipped with locked bootloaders. In other countries that already have the Senstion, it's locked. Nothing that an update can't fix however, if they decide to send one out..

Sent by a little green robot
    US sensation units hadn't even been finalized when HTC made the announcement. There is/was plenty of time to update the bootloader prior to shipping... or make an ota where it will be available on day one when the phones are activated. I would say most likely, the bootloader won't be locked on the Evo 3D... One thing to take into account is the new processor and firmware not seen on other devices (dual camera as an example), so senseless ROMs will be a ways off.

I will try it out. Don't really care about the 3d stuff though. It will probably end up in the hands of one of my sons.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

ROM
    AOKP'ing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ruffolo View Post
    US sensation units hadn't even been finalized when HTC made the announcement. There is/was plenty of time to update the bootloader prior to shipping... or make an ota where it will be available on day one when the phones are activated. I would say most likely, the bootloader won't be locked on the Evo 3D... One thing to take into account is the new processor and firmware not seen on other devices (dual camera as an example), so senseless ROMs will be a ways off.
    I hope you're right. Even so, I'm looking forward to when a version of the Galaxy S 2 comes out on Sprint.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Oh....derrrrr. Then, yeah, I did try a few different ROMs. Enjoyed the FreshEVO and used that toward the end.

And honestly, it wasn't that hard rooting the Evo so I wouldn't be concerned with their "locked" boot loader.