View Poll Results: Is your keyboard loose?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I use it more than half the time

7 11.48%
  • Yes, and I use it less than half the time

12 19.67%
  • No, and I use it more than half the time

25 40.98%
  • No, and I use it less than half the time

17 27.87%
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Long-Time Epic Users: Is your keyboard loose?

I bought the Epic for my daughter who opens it like crazy for texting every 30 seconds. When I look at all the Dummy phones at Best Buy, they all fall open with the slightest touch. I'm wondering if a loose slider is in my future, and if I should consider not keeping it for that reason. After 21 days, it is already starting to loosen up. Since the phone has been out for nearly 1 year, we should know by now, how well it functions. I'm thinking I would have a fight on my hands if I made a warranty claim in 6 months as "loose", is always subjective.

More people usually answer polls than post in threads, so I added one for you
    Thanked by:

ROM
    ACS SyndicateROM Frozen

I use my keyboard daily, and it definitely wobbles a bit when open. That being said, it doesn't seem any worse than it did when I first got the phone. The wobbling is noticeable and worrisome at first, but you get used to it, and the sliding mechanism has always felt solid with a satisfying *shick* when I open it. It feels flimsy but it really is a pretty solid slider.

Nice and snug here and I'm a bit over 7 months now. Use my physical keyboard a lot too.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted Stock

I have had the phone since launch... Got replaced months ago (bricked during upgrade)... I used the keyboard a lot at first (sliding keyboard out at least 40 times a day or more and not always so gentle) and it has always felt reliable and solid to me. Now I barely use it due to falling in love with swype, but when I do it is never so gentle as I trust the hardware..
    My history: Ericsson 628, 768, T10, T28 World, Siemens S12, Nokia 8290, 3390, Motorola C330 , V70, Ericsson T68i, Motorola v100, Accompli 009, Sony Ericsson P800, T300, T610, O2 XDA II, BlackBerry 6210, Sanyo SCP5300, SCP8100, VM4500, PM8200, MM7400, MM8300, MM9000, BlackBerry 7750, Kyocera KX18, MM-A900, SCP8400, Pearl 8130, Tour 9630, Samsung Epic 4G, HTC Design 4G, Nook Tablet. CO's: Omnipoint, Voicestream, T-Mobile, (Amp'd for a short time) Sprint, Verizon

ROM
    CleanGB MTD

I've had mine six months now & use the keyboard all the time. Prefer it to the on screen keyboard.
    It feels solid to me. No issues at all with the slides.

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Had mine since launch. I use it all day, and while it does not just flip out, it is definitely not as firm as when new. I've had no problems with my phone, and trust the build quality to be very solid. As a reference I broke 2 Palm Pre's under the same usage in 1 year.

Mine can be moved (twisted?) a little whether open or closed but I don't know if that's normal ie how it came because I didn't use the keyboard much until recently.

It doesn't "fall open" on its own though.

Global Posts
    780 Global Posts

I have had my Epic for 9 months and it did loosen up a little in the first month or so. It hasn't really gotten any worse since early on and isn't enough for me to worry about. All in all the Epic has been an excellent phone.
    Retired Ambassador

I can't respond to polls with tapatalk but there have been no problems with my keyboard. However, to be honest, I have only opened the keyboard perhaps twice since I bought the phone in october.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by keithvetter; 06-18-2011 at 10:43 AM.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    zak

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

I voted yes, less than half the time. Compared to previous slider phones I've had it does feel loose. However I've had the phone since November and it doesn't appear to be any more loose than I orginally purchased the phone.

My Epic slider felt loose when I had the Sedio on it. I took that off a couple of months ago, and the phone feels rock solid. Just as good as the day I bought it. Guess I got lucky with this one.

Slider is fine on mine, I bought it back in November '10. But here is the thing, the wobble when closed and when open does seem to be normal. I hate it, but I've learned to live with it. As far as the screen opening up with the slightest of touch, nope, that just does not happen. You have to put some pressure on it. Dummy units are usually not anything compared to the actual consumer device.

I bought mine on launch day and originally used the keyboard a lot for the first month or so. I have since only used it a few times a day. I have not noticed very much looseness to it but there is some. When I tap on the left side of the phone (when holding in portrait), the phone depresses some and you can hear an ever so soft tapping noise.

If there was a 5th option for "Yes, only half the time but I don't consider it a problem" I would have selected that one. I came from a Palm Pre that had some serious "Oreo" problems and can say that my Epic is near infinitely better than the Pre was...
    Current Device(s):
    T-Mobile Monthly4G - LG Nexus 4 16GB (from Google Play)
    Asus Transformer Infinity TF700T
    Asus Nexus 7 16GB

ROM
    Bonsai4All V3.0.1

I put no and I use it more than half the time.
    I've also jumped out of I-don't-remember-how-many airplanes with my Epic, including jumping out of a CH-47 and taking video on the way down.
    Even with the PLF, landing isn't kind to phones.
    I've dropped it plenty of times, too, including on concrete.
    It's got some scratches, but it's still pretty sturdy.
    Now, I've just gotten my daughter a new Epic. We'll see if a 12 year old can do worse.

Global Posts
    359 Global Posts

i've had mine since launch (aug'10), but i use it occasionally only. it feels loose when handling, the first mm or so, but solid from there on out. like pressing the power button will slightly move the screen.

i think this is probably due to it being in my front pants pocket with the slight, but constant pressure from movement? just a guess.

ROM
    Stock/Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Mook1e View Post
    I put no and I use it more than half the time.
    I've also jumped out of I-don't-remember-how-many airplanes with my Epic, including jumping out of a CH-47 and taking video on the way down.
    Even with the PLF, landing isn't kind to phones.
    I've dropped it plenty of times, too, including on concrete.
    It's got some scratches, but it's still pretty sturdy.
    Now, I've just gotten my daughter a new Epic. We'll see if a 12 year old can do worse.
    Wondering if you had or have a "protective" case? If not and it's surviving drops on concrete, maybe the cases are overkill...