Time to start getting impatient?

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Still no Gingerbread. Now, numerous phones are getting their updates. Nothing out of Samsung's corner....then again what else do we expect from them besides silence and lack of urgency.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
June 20th or around that is the rumored date so were going to have to wait and see... We know were getting it so its just a matter of when they decide the have the bugs worked out. I think they are trying to avoid another EB13/EC05 mistake.

Mike77

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Took forever to get Froyo and it was messed up. I don't know why people had faith in Samsung this time.

If the EVO is getting Gingerbread now, expect the Epic to get it in the 4th Quarter, maybe.

fintablayze

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
As consumers I think we can all agree that we want gingerbread sooner rather than later. I'm running ee03 midnight right now and haven't had any issues, so I think they should just release the sucker already.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
As consumers I think we can all agree that we want gingerbread sooner rather than later. I'm running ee03 midnight right now and haven't had any issues, so I think they should just release the sucker already.

I agree to a point. There are still a few bugs that did need to be addressed in EE03 which I'm sure were done in the most recent 2 builds prior to EE03. Probably the biggest was the EE03 modem which they probably made top priority over everything else first.

Mike77

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Whenever it comes, its going to be crappy and it is going to take the excellent community we have to put ROMs out so people can get the most out of their phones.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Whenever it comes, its going to be crappy and it is going to take the excellent community we have to put ROMs out so people can get the most out of their phones.

I don't know what to say about this. My phone worked perfectly after the froyo update. Nothing was broken and it didn't need any custom rom for my phone to work perfectly.

I had an issue with an option that eclair had and froyo removed. But the phone worked fine.

I will stick to my prediction of an August/September update.

mayo1024#AC

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I've installed the EE03 leaked rom and it's working perfectly. It's not crappy and I've had little or no issues with it. In another thread they are up to EF10 as the latest build. I can't wait, should be a great build by SAMY.

LoneWolf545

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
June 20th or around that is the rumored date so were going to have to wait and see... We know were getting it so its just a matter of when they decide the have the bugs worked out. I think they are trying to avoid another EB13/EC05 mistake.

Honestly, I'm not so concerned about Gingerbread, I just want something more stable than the Froyo releases. I've tried multiple ROM's and get about a week out of any of them before suffering too much corruption and having to reload (with ACE 2.0, I was able to reload some of the corrupted apps several times so made it two weeks). The two main activities I see most often implicated in crashes resulting in corruption/force crashes are email/gmail and charging, it seems at least half of my crashes have been when charging the phone. I use my phone to score my daughter's softball tournaments and lost data for three games in one tournament because my phone crashed and was too unstable to upload the stats to the server or back them up to SD card.

Stearmandriver

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Dumb question - what's the hurry? Seriously, is GB bringing some cool new features/capabilities I haven't heard about? I know about netflix (and personally don't care but that's just me), but what else? Why is everyone so eager for what seems like a minor update?

Not trying to start an argument; honestly curious. I remembr on the Pre were were all chomping at the bit for the new release, but that was cause it was supposed to add useful capability other phones had and we didn't, like Flash.

What all is the Epic getting with GB?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Dumb question - what's the hurry? Seriously, is GB bringing some cool new features/capabilities I haven't heard about? I know about netflix (and personally don't care but that's just me), but what else? Why is everyone so eager for what seems like a minor update?

Not trying to start an argument; honestly curious. I remembr on the Pre were were all chomping at the bit for the new release, but that was cause it was supposed to add useful capability other phones had and we didn't, like Flash.

Well aside from Netflix which everyone is bragging about...

1. Rotation lag (gone...) no more upside down calibration or /system/bin/sensorcalibutil_yamaha calibration tricks...

2. GB is a much more polished update/version.

3. Optimized much more per device unlike Froyo was more a "general" OS across the board.

4. Screen off animation which is a favorite of many.

5. Many security fixes and other bug fixes...

There is more but off the top of my head I can't name them. Overall its a better OS and if your into custom ROMs this should be a fun OS to play with.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Well aside from Netflix which everyone is bragging about...

1. Rotation lag (gone...) no more upside down calibration or /system/bin/sensorcalibutil_yamaha calibration tricks...

2. GB is a much more polished update/version.

3. Optimized much more per device unlike Froyo was more a "general" OS across the board.

4. Screen off animation which is a favorite of many.

5. Many security fixes and other bug fixes...

There is more but off the top of my head I can't name them. Overall its a better OS and if your into custom ROMs this should be a fun OS to play with.

Screen rotation lag... Only had to do the upside cal once... who cares?

Screen off animation a favorite? Really? Are you kidding?

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

Gingerbread comes with better graphics support and smoother overall performance. No force closes, no stuttering like in buggy EC05 Froyo. Basically unleashes the full power of the Epic we've been looking for since its release...

cheburashka

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
gb virtual keyboard supports many different languages. important to me. that said, I'm not in too much hurry, just don't want it to take forever.

Stearmandriver

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Gingerbread comes with better graphics support and smoother overall performance. No force closes, no stuttering like in buggy EC05 Froyo. Basically unleashes the full power of the Epic we've been looking for since its release...

Does it REALLY or are we just hoping? ;-) how can we really know what the final build brings until it's here?

Stearmandriver

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I found this on Youtube: YouTube - ‪Gingerbread "Screen Off" Animation‬‏

I'm looking forward to GB too but more so because I want to see what kind of ROMs come out of it...

Really? This is the kind of stuff folks salivate over in an update? As a Pre user until recently, I feel like I have to point out that maybe you've forgotten how good you already have it with this device! ;-)

That being said, thanks for the replies... Better/smoother graphics can always be a biggy (though graphics support isn't bad now). Looking forward to the new roms as well!

Mike77

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what to say about this. My phone worked perfectly after the froyo update. Nothing was broken and it didn't need any custom rom for my phone to work perfectly.

I had an issue with an option that eclair had and froyo removed. But the phone worked fine.

I will stick to my prediction of an August/September update.

Keyboard input lag made it (it being the physical keyboard) unusable. My battery life was extended by at least 50% with a rom.

moonoverparma00

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
No need to be impatient, gingerbread for the evo has been a real problem. It broke more stuff than it fixed. I'd rather wait and let them get it right. I have an evo also and can't stand it after the update, I'll be sticking with my epic. I just like it better than the evo.