resetting epic

facemask98

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I have a broken screen on my epic, and can not see anything on it. I would like to reset the phone before returning it to asurion. Phone is not rooted. any help would be great
Thanks

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Well with a broken screen its kind of difficult... Easiest option would be to do a factory reset/wipe via booting into stock recovery (Volume down+camera+power). Even then its still difficult because you can't see what your doing to navigate the device.

Reactions: facemask98

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
so short of dropping it in the pool i suppose i have to remember everything im signed into and change those passwords? lol
LOL.. I think so friend, I'm sorry but I really don't have any other answers. No screen, can't navigate to reset the device.

regenouis

May 19, 2011
Visit site
heh, I've seen these kinds of request come in some times. If the screen is just cracked, you can always find an unauthorized repair center in your area and just have the screen replaced.

Otherwise, Asurion is just going to wipe it when they get it anyhow. They get so many phones at a time I can't imagine that they have time to root through the phones looking at pictures, text messages etc ;)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes that is what I figured.. . Those techs have more to play with than sit there and look through your device for stuff...

RandomKing

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
How about booting it into download mode & useing Odin or the windowsinnstaller tool to return it to stock EB13?

This would be my suggestion, download a stock EB13 .tar.
Hold the 1 key and the power key together to turn your phone on into download mode.
Plug it into the computer, then Odin should be able to tell you if its ready.
Flash it over and you're back to stock without ever needing your phone's screen.

:D

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Yup Download mode and ODIN it back to an older factory ROM.

Thats what i would recomend.
If your in NE Texas i can put a new screen on it for you. Like the other poster said, take it to an unauthorized service center. :)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I second/3rd the Odin options. Main reason I didn't suggest these in my first response was the OP said he wasn't rooted so I wasn't going to recommend something he/she might not have never attempted.

The Odin suggestions are a good idea, very simple and should resolve the issue very easily.

Just to make sure your on track.

[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone) Use procedure #2

1. Device off (pull the battery and replace it)
2. Hold down 1 key on physical keyboard and then while holding press and hold power
3. Give it a couple of seconds. At this point go ahead and load Odin on your computer.
4. Plug you phone in via USB cable to your computer
5. Follow the instructions in the Odin thread (procedure #2) to complete the process. You will know immediately when plugging in your device if the COM box lights up then you have a connection and are in download mode and ready to continue.
6. Entire process from start to finish should only take 2-3 minutes and you will get a green "PASS" in Odin if everything went properly and you device will boot up into a freshly wiped/reset device.
7. Give it say 5 minutes or so after getting the PASS and you can either just let the phone sit as is or pull the battery to shut it down.