What phone should I get

ilaifire

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I've got an upgrade coming up and I'm trying to decide what I should get. I currently have an HTC Hero which has lately been acting up a decent amount, so I would rather get a phone sooner rather then later. The phones I'm considering are the Nexus Galaxy (awesome except for it isn't out yet and no official release date, and it has no SD slot), Galaxy SII (currently out, cheap when it is on sale, and has SD slot, but doesn't have NFC), or get a used Nexus S from eBay and wait until late summer/autumn to see the specs on the Galaxy SIII, Nexus 4, any other new phones that come out (cheap, and lets me get my upgrade on a brand new phone when one I like comes out).
Things such as OS and launcher don't matter to me since I'm planning using ADW Launcher anyway and might be getting Cyanogenmod.

Could I get opinions from people please?

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I'd find a decent used handset and pay cash rather than burn an upgrade at this stage if you're not happy with what's available ATM. I've seen some fairly decent units on craigslist, just read up on what's available and make it happen.

You can count on one thing, there's nearly always a device you'd rather have just around the corner.

I'm getting the Photon for free, with Best Buy price matching another store, and a $50 gift card I registered for last month, along with free activation. But, I have upgrades to burn for the moment.

Last edited:

ilaifire

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I'd find a decent used handset and pay cash rather than burn an upgrade at this stage if you're not happy with what's available ATM.

My problem is that currently it seems that there are almost perfect phones out (Galaxy SII has SD, but lacks NFC, Nexus Galaxy has NFC but lacks SD), and the phones that have been announced don't look too great either (non removable batteries on the HTC Ones, no SD and only one with NFC).

TropicalSammich

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
SD is falling off the map like the floppy disk... The market caters towards the mass's, and the mass's are moving to cloud services.

NFC isn't there yet, slowly building steam.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Wait, save the upgrade. Buy something cheap-ish on ebay/craigslist to tide you over until you find something that grabs you. Better phones are just around the corner. But then again, aren't they always? :D

ilaifire

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
GS2 display resolution sucks.

wait for G-Nex.

It would suck if it were a 10 inch tablet, but on that screen size I don't actually notice it unless I look for it or bring it close to my face. For me that lack of NFC is a much bigger problem then the resolution.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
It would suck if it were a 10 inch tablet, but on that screen size I don't actually notice it unless I look for it or bring it close to my face. For me that lack of NFC is a much bigger problem then the resolution.

don't be silly. night and day difference between SG2 and the G-Nex. resolution is not just about looks but also fitting more content on display.

now stop being silly and go buy 2012 technology. not 2010.

good luck.

ilaifire

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
don't be silly. night and day difference between SG2 and the G-Nex. resolution is not just about looks but also fitting more content on display.

now stop being silly and go buy 2012 technology. not 2010.

good luck.

It also depends on eye sight and what you are used to. But if you want to talk about yesterday's tech, just look at the Nexus Galaxy, the only things it really has going for it are the screen and the os. Both have 1.2 ghz dual core CPUs, and the SG2 has better cameras. I agree about getting 2012 tech though, hence I'm considering getting a used Nexus S/Evo cheap and using my upgrade later this year once the new phones come out.