Is the Galaxy Nexus still worth it?

GripnRip

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I've been looking forward to the Galaxy Nexus for a while now. I'm still on my Evo 4G but have been waiting patiently for my contract to be up for renewal so I could look at something new. When Google and Samsung announced the Galaxy Nexus I said to myself, this is going to be my next phone. But as time has gone on I've started to wonder, and now that we're almost halfway into the year at launch date, is it worth it. If we go by the assumption that Google will continue with their one big upgrade to the OS a year, and a new Nexus device a year we're only 5-6 months away from getting a newer Nexus with Android 5.0 stock. Would it be worth it to look at something like the Evo 4G LTE or to wait for the next Nexus? Is the Galaxy Nexus still worth it?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
My feelings... Its worth it if your content with what it has to offer in current specs... Its a good device. It will almost certainly be updated to the next Android OS, maybe not "first" but it will get it.

On the other hand consider its already what about 6 months old the GNex... We already know Sprint's plans on LTE and rolling devices to support it.. I expect early fall into the holidays to have some nice choices on the block for Sprint and its new LTE network... Seeing how were locked into phone for 20 + months, I think some patience and researching is in order before you hurry up and marry into your next device.

Me personally.. I'm giving the SGSIII a serious look... Then again my upgrade doesn't come until Sept 1st.

Ajames25

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm going for it, my upgrade is burning a hole in my pocket right now. I would prefer vanilla Android and unlike going from my Sammy Moment to the GNEX, GNEX to anything else is an incremental improvement. If the biggest complaint is the camera then I can deal with that.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I believe so, but I'm biased.

Tangentially, the support the device is absolutely outstanding, and I expect for the support on Sprint to be no different (although Paul's much more of an expert in that department than I could ever hope to be).

Still, carrier differences aside, it's a fantastic device.

JGuez

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I pre-ordered it.

Look, if you keep waiting for the next better spec'ed phone, then you'll never have a new phone.

Goes for anything in technology.

The EVO 4G LTE will be more powerful, but realistically I'm not going to be doing anything on this phone that the dual core 1.2 ghz can't handle.

We're not exactly at the stage of playing PC quality titles on our phones yet anyways.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Maybe if my upgrade was coming up or it was available now I would consider it, but since I have the waiting game until Sept 1st... By then its definitely off my radar, I know more will be on the screen by that point...

As far as the whole Vanilla experience... The way CM team has taken a hold of development on so many devices today there is so much that can spawn from a CM base to give you a vanilla android experience on any device now.

I love my NS4G but I have to admit the GNex hasn't exactly lived up to everything I expected.

Again this is just my feelings, everyone is entitled to do as they please and enjoy the GNex ;)

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Maybe if my upgrade was coming up or it was available now I would consider it, but since I have the waiting game until Sept 1st... By then its definitely off my radar, I know more will be on the screen by that point...

As far as the whole Vanilla experience... The way CM team has taken a hold of development on so many devices today there is so much that can spawn from a CM base to give you a vanilla android experience on any device now.

I love my NS4G but I have to admit the GNex hasn't exactly lived up to everything I expected.

Again this is just my feelings, everyone is entitled to do as they please and enjoy the GNex ;)

Heathen!

jk

I agree. Hell, it hasn't even lived up to mine. IMO, it's one of the more "sandbagged" phones of recent memory, with it being expected to be one thing (in Nexus Prime phase), it then being reviewed as one thing (by The Verge and others as possibly the best phone out there at the moment), and then with user experience, an almost different beast. The GN has so many different "faces" that it's hard to objectively pin it down to one or the other.

That being said, when unlocked and rooted and such it's an amazing, amazing thing to behold.

And +1 for CM. Talk about redefining and streamlining how things are done...

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I've been looking forward to the Galaxy Nexus for a while now. I'm still on my Evo 4G but have been waiting patiently for my contract to be up for renewal so I could look at something new. When Google and Samsung announced the Galaxy Nexus I said to myself, this is going to be my next phone. But as time has gone on I've started to wonder, and now that we're almost halfway into the year at launch date, is it worth it. If we go by the assumption that Google will continue with their one big upgrade to the OS a year, and a new Nexus device a year we're only 5-6 months away from getting a newer Nexus with Android 5.0 stock. Would it be worth it to look at something like the Evo 4G LTE or to wait for the next Nexus? Is the Galaxy Nexus still worth it?

You didn't take into consideration that Sprint's pattern is that it gets the Nexus several months after its original release, so the Sprint Nexus 4 is still a year away.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Jackson Galaxy

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I was waiting for this phone too until HTC annouced the Evo 4G LTE.

The Nexus seems like a wonderful device, but with competitors out there using newer manufacturing technologies, it seems already dated.

Nexus 0, Evo LTE 4G 1

GripnRip

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
You didn't take into consideration that Sprint's pattern is that it gets the Nexus several months after its original release, so the Sprint Nexus 4 is still a year away.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

I've been wondering about that too. My thinking has been that a lot has changed since the original introduction of the Nexus S. Sprint and Google over the last year and a half have gotten very closely tied. From being the only carrier to officially support Google Wallet, to allowing your Sprint phone number to also be your Google Voice number. I'm starting to wonder if the next Nexus device may launch on Sprint.

MidtownHD

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
This is like asking if you should buy a 2012 vehicle when you know of the release date & model lineup of the 2013's.

its your own choice...

Its more like buying a device from the end of 2011 and 2013 is around the corner. Also have in mind that Sprint is offering the cdma version w/ lte disabled at launch, and its behind GSM support.

Tapatalk 2

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Its more like buying a device from the end of 2011 and 2013 is around the corner. Also have in mind that Sprint is offering the cdma version w/ lte disabled at launch, and its behind GSM support.

Tapatalk 2

I believe the lte comes turned off by default, not disabled. you can turn it on if you want, but prob won't get any lte unless you live in one of the city that offers it first.

TropicalSammich

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I believe the lte comes turned off by default, not disabled. you can turn it on if you want, but prob won't get any lte unless you live in one of the city that offers it first.

correct.

It might be fun to go sniffing around those areas. It's running for testing here and there, not certain if you would be able to grab a signal without the engineers device in your hand, but its worth a shot come this weekend..

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
correct.

It might be fun to go sniffing around those areas. It's running for testing here and there, not certain if you would be able to grab a signal without the engineers device in your hand, but its worth a shot come this weekend..

I do live about 40min away from baltimore. maybe i should drive up once a week just to get my money's worth. haha.

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I was waiting for this phone too until HTC annouced the Evo 4G LTE.

The Nexus seems like a wonderful device, but with competitors out there using newer manufacturing technologies, it seems already dated.

Nexus 0, Evo LTE 4G 1

And when you get that Sensed out evo, 2 months down something with better specs will be out. Oh and don't get mad when Jelly Bean rows around and your stuck on ICS till June of next year when a newer update is right around the corner again.