Unlock the bootloader if I am not going to flash custom Roms?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Well you could unlock the bootloader at time of purchase and leave it unlocked for the reason of chance that you may in the future load up a different radio, maybe a new leaked update, anything..

Bottom line, the whole thing with the boot loaders on the Nexus is they wipe the device when you unlock them. So if you do it from the start and say a month or 3 months later you want to do something its done, its unlocked.. Throw CWM on there and root and do whatever, your not going to loose you valuable data at that point. On the other hand you leave it locked and then decide man I want to check out this new leaked radio everyone is raving about that's improving signal but now I'm going to loose all my information when I unlock the boot loader.

Its personal preference but as simple as it is to unlock it and continue on using your device it may just save yourself a headache of loosing all that valued info down the road.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info Paul. Can you recommend a trusted set of steps to follow?

This method looks pretty straight forward Unlock and Root Galaxy Nexus LTE CDMA or GSM Verizon Easily with Superboot (no adb) - YouTube Do you think it will work for the Sprint LTE version?

Thanks again!

Most likely (99.6% positive it will work), but wait and make sure someone tries it first unless Sprint/Google throw you guys a curveball. Check our ROM forum for several guides/methods.

Reactions: Gtronic

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I agree with dmmarck. The device will have to get released and tested with the current GNex methods of unlocking/rooting. Chances are good it will work but you never know if Sammy & Sprint did something different to the device.

Reactions: Gtronic

Gtronic

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Perfect...Thanks once again.

Request - If somebody reading this gets a hold of this phone on Saturday, please update this thread with the method used to unlock.

Thanks in advance

ThaBomb

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Well you could unlock the bootloader at time of purchase and leave it unlocked for the reason of chance that you may in the future load up a different radio, maybe a new leaked update, anything..

Bottom line, the whole thing with the boot loaders on the Nexus is they wipe the device when you unlock them. So if you do it from the start and say a month or 3 months later you want to do something its done, its unlocked.. Throw CWM on there and root and do whatever, your not going to loose you valuable data at that point. On the other hand you leave it locked and then decide man I want to check out this new leaked radio everyone is raving about that's improving signal but now I'm going to loose all my information when I unlock the boot loader.

Its personal preference but as simple as it is to unlock it and continue on using your device it may just save yourself a headache of loosing all that valued info down the road.

Big thanks for this info, I plan on running vanilla 4.0 out of the box for the first few weeks, but figure I'll flash some roms a few months from now. Thank you for saving me a huge headache.

baconnbitz2010

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I used My Backup Pro to backup my data then un-locked & reinstalled. I had a couple of settings that didn't keep but otherwise, great! I backed up to my internal (no As card) , saved that on my desktop & reinstalled after unlocking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995