SMS splitting

g1tcs

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I pre-ordered my Galaxy Nexus and I love the phone except for one thing, no SMS splitting. Once you reach the 160 character limit that's it, no more typing. This is extremely frustrating! My last android phone allowed for SMS splitting. I have searched every settings menu I can find on my Nexus, and I cannot find any option to allow SMS splitting. Does anyone know of a work around besides using a third party app like Handcent?

thoughthalo

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I pre-ordered my Galaxy Nexus and I love the phone except for one thing, no SMS splitting. Once you reach the 160 character limit that's it, no more typing. This is extremely frustrating! My last android phone allowed for SMS splitting. I have searched every settings menu I can find on my Nexus, and I cannot find any option to allow SMS splitting. Does anyone know of a work around besides using a third party app like Handcent?

I think it is a CDMA network limitation too. Though I thought they would have overcome this limitation by now. I am willing to bet that on the gsm galaxy nexus this limitation isn't there.

soonerfreak

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think it is a CDMA network limitation too. Though I thought they would have overcome this limitation by now. I am willing to bet that on the gsm galaxy nexus this limitation isn't there.

Nope, I can keep typing through 160 characters on my EVO OG no problem. It just tells me how many messages it will contain.

Seryozha

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I have the maguro nexus on T-Mobile. I have an issue where my messages are split after 160 characters. is this normal? i thought on GSM it didnt split...

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have the maguro nexus on T-Mobile. I have an issue where my messages are split after 160 characters. is this normal? i thought on GSM it didnt split...

ALL sms splits at 160. Some carriers will detect the overrun, and are able to break it apart, and reassemble it at the other end (cingular used to do this between cingular customers). MOST sms apps will let you keep typing, but will send it as 2 or more sms's. Google has to work with all sorts of different carriers, so they simply stop you at 160. 3rd party or OEM modified ones, will simply break it down when you've gone too far with a text.

Besides, this is Android. If you don't like how something works/doesn't work, just change it ;)