Battery life for sprint galaxy nexus

gravyhead

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm. Seems like there are two categories of people:

1. The people that get 18-24 hours of battery life
2. The people that get 8-9 hours of battery life

Unfortunately, I'm in the latter group. I've had one full recharge cycle, but I find it hard to believe that my battery will improve by over 10 hours by settling in.

Hmmmm......

R1der2002

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
not bad at all
April12179.png
April12176.png

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Battery Tips

1. WIFI, GPS, BT, Hotspot, (LTE) all set at OFF (mostly toggled using Android Power Widget). turn ON only as needed. use Wifi@Home App to automatically turn on and connect with Wifi when at home.
2. Brightness set to very low (slider set to extreme left under check box). this is plenty bright for me.
4. No Live Wallpaper. not sure of this makes a difference but i have my own graphic anyway.
5. No Data intensive constant data hungry widgets/apps constantly running. i wiped News and Weather App. uncheck them for Prefetch auto sync and set to 0 stories. i will get my data from the browser fresh as needed. i have no updating widgets other than 1 home weather city with the nice big beautiful Fancy Widgets HTC-Style Clock/Weather default widget i keep with auto refresh at 1 hour and Refresh on Unlock with 15 minute min interval. i have 1 GMail PUSH account that i set up and is always on.
6. Stay signed out of everything - G+, Latitude, Messenger, GTalk, FB, Twitter. Everything! i don't use this stuff anyway. as noted before - let GTalk run in the background for PUSH Gmail but always sign out and uncheck auto sign you in.
7. Vibrate is ON for Calls and Texts. Vibrate is OFF for emails. all Haptic Feedback and Touch sounds - Keyboard, Screen, etc. is OFF.
8. i DO NOT use a task killer or kill tasks with the Manage Applications Panel. nor do i use "Juice Defender" type apps.
9. realize that streaming any audio and/or video will kill your battery very very fast.
10. per XDA thread NFC appears negligible on battery life since it is only capable when display is on - so i just leave it on.
11. put phone on charger every night before going to bed. you need to recharge and so does the phone.

TropicalSammich

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Battery Tips

1. WIFI, GPS, BT, Hotspot, (LTE) all set at OFF (mostly toggled using Android Power Widget). turn ON only as needed. use Wifi@Home App to automatically turn on and connect with Wifi when at home.
2. Brightness set to very low (slider set to extreme left under check box). this is plenty bright for me.
4. No Live Wallpaper. not sure of this makes a difference but i have my own graphic anyway.
5. No Data intensive constant data hungry widgets/apps constantly running. i wiped News and Weather App. uncheck them for Prefetch auto sync and set to 0 stories. i will get my data from the browser fresh as needed. i have no updating widgets other than 1 home weather city with the nice big beautiful Fancy Widgets HTC-Style Clock/Weather default widget i keep with auto refresh at 1 hour and Refresh on Unlock with 15 minute min interval. i have 1 GMail PUSH account that i set up and is always on.
6. Stay signed out of everything - G+, Latitude, Messenger, GTalk, FB, Twitter. Everything! i don't use this stuff anyway. as noted before - let GTalk run in the background for PUSH Gmail but always sign out and uncheck auto sign you in.
7. Vibrate is ON for Calls and Texts. Vibrate is OFF for emails. all Haptic Feedback and Touch sounds - Keyboard, Screen, etc. is OFF.
8. i DO NOT use a task killer or kill tasks with the Manage Applications Panel. nor do i use "Juice Defender" type apps.
9. realize that streaming any audio and/or video will kill your battery very very fast.
10. per XDA thread NFC appears negligible on battery life since it is only capable when display is on - so i just leave it on.
11. put phone on charger every night before going to bed. you need to recharge and so does the phone.

Basically, return your smartphone since using any of the designed smartphone features will result in poor battery performance..:cool:

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks smart ass.

I sacrifice nothing with these settings and do everything I want to do. This is no compromise or hardship for me.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Haha....tis true though. Best battery saving tip is just not to use the device. Anyway...my best so far with decent use has been 16 & 1/4 hours. Though this phone will last muuuuuch longer then that.

42576cbf-a83a-77d3.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I love the battery life I'm getting. I use auto brightness, leave Gtalk signed in and use the g+ app. The only times it's been on charge for this period is briefly when I plugged it into my PC to transfer some files a few times. Actual screen time for this period is 1h 57m. Streamed google music for about an hour in this time period as well. This isn't with extremely heavy use but I find impressive nonetheless.

42575038-bb7d-bd56.jpg

wrecklass

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I've been using my Gnex for a couple of weeks now (got it on preorder) and typically get between 16-25 hours on a charge.

Unfortunately, there is a fair amount of misinformation going around. Instead of starting from scratch, I'll add my own notes to the list Gekko put together. It's a good list, but contains some information about older phones that no longer applies to the Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Gnex.)
Battery Tips

Actually WiFi is preferrable to 3G or 4G networks unless you get bad signal. The best situation is to leave WiFi on if you are around a good WiFi network most of the day. However, having the phone constantly switch between networks if you move around a lot or are in a bad network area will be a drain.

I read in many places that turning GPS off will not save battery life unless location services are using the GPS. You can leave the GPS set to on and it will only drain battery if you bring up Maps or some other navigation app that uses the GPS. I experimented with the GPS setting heavily during a recent road trip and found this to be true.
Good advice, but many people do not realize that the Super AMOLED display on the Gnex uses next to no power to display black pixels, reference: 4D Systems Presentation. White is the worst case. The EVO 4G and other TFT phones use a back light which uses the same amount of power no matter what is being displayed, turning down the brightness was the only option. With the Gnex (and any AMOLED display) the best advice is to use dark and/or black backgrounds. If an App (like Tapatalk) has a "Dark" theme, use that. Use Black Google (Black Google Mobile - Battery Saving Search). Little changes can make a big difference in the amount of power the display is using.
Good advice, Live wallpaper is sure pretty, but it means the CPU and GPU are in constant use when you are looking at your home screen. Turn 'em off.
Good advice, and I'll add another to the last point: You can set up Google Mail to retrieve several other email accounts for you. That means you can use just one main account on your Gnex and have mail from many accounts all pushed to the Gnex. Saves time looking through multiple mail boxes as well. You can even choose which account to send any messages From when you compose or reply to email. Very handy.

To set this up. go to Gmail in your computer's browser, and select "Settings" and then "Accounts and Imports" tab. Add as many accounts as you wish, I think it was originally limited to 5 accounts.
A bit heavy handed, as it pretty much eliminates the usefulness of the smart phone. And Gmail and GTalk use very little power unless you have friends/colleagues who are constantly sending you messages.
I turn Vibrate off, period. It's rarely any more useful than the sound notifications and eats a bunch of power.
Very good advice. Task killers became useless with Froyo (Android 2.2), and using them on Ice Cream Sandwich can do more harm than good. If you have an App that is behaving so badly you need to kill it on a regular basis, then you should consider eliminating that App or finding something better to do the job.

However, if you really are picky about tasks running in the background here is a tip I find most people aren't aware of. On ICS when you touch the "Application List" button to switch apps, you can swipe any app to the left or right to remove it from the list. This actually removes the app from the active apps in RAM. You can verify this for yourself by downloading a System Information app that shows active apps and RAM usage. Swipe a few Apps from the "Application List" and you will see that RAM has freed up.

This is totally unnecessary as Android does a much better job of deciding what Apps to keep in RAM and when to remove them for new Apps being run. If you honestly believe you are smarter than the team of people at Google developing Android, then by all means use this mechanism to keep apps out of the way.

Just don't use task killers, ever.
Of course, but don't let that keep you from enjoying your phone's capabilities. Just watch battery usage while you are watching cat juggling videos and other productivity stuff like that ;)
I still leave it off as I am not sure of the security of the feature yet. I hate to think someone could use it to steal data from my device without my knowledge. I turn it on if I want to share something, and then turn it back off.
There's really no such thing as being too secure these days.
Also remember that these batteries are best between around 30% to 80% charge. Charge it up when you need to, but don't worry about it until it drops lower than 30%. Charging it every time it drops to 60% is not productive.

And I do believe most people are playing with their new phones so much that battery drain is well beyond what it will be in a couple of months after the novelty has worn off and the begin using the phone like they did their previous phones.

When I first got my EVO 4G it became my primary browser because I could sit in the recliner and surf the web, read mail and generally have fun. This was before I owned a tablet. Battery life was rarely 12 hours between charges. Once I got to using the phone as a phone and productivity device, I typically got up to two full days between charges.

I expect the same will occur with the Gnex, unless a phone is defective.

[/soapbox]

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
@wrecklass
Some great points. Regarding services like gtalk, g+, push email.... people shouldn't not use them just because they think they are saving tons of battery by doing disabling them. If someone doesn't use a particular service then yes it makes sense to disable them but things like gtalk that use push notifications, having it signed in all the time really doesn't make a dent in battery life unless one is using it constantly (and in that case it's something useful to them).

With my usage I can easily get a day out of this phone and that is with using it for music streaming, leaving gtalk signed in all the time, g+ running, gmail set as default....

A couple phones ago I stopped watching the battery all the time, I throw it on a charger whenever I am near one at a desk I might be sitting at. I don't worry about things like "conditioning" the battery cause if you think about it, unless something is really wrong with either the phone, how it's setup or the battery, something like conditioning is not going to make a phone that lasts half a day somehow last a whole day. With all that said I now I stress much less about my battery performance.

Reactions: wrecklass

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I was having horrible battery life. So I went to a sprint store, and they swapped out my battery. which has seemed to help. It no longer gets as warm as it did before, it seems as though the battery was defective. The rep said if the same problem persists to just come back and they'l swap out my device for a new one.

egburr

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I've only had my GNEX for about a week now, but so far I'm generally getting about 14-16 hours with moderate usage before it gets below 25% (except for the one day my kids played angry birds on it for an hour or so).

My previous phone, an HTC Hero with CM7 would easily get 35-40 hours on a single charge. Before that, on stock HTC I would do good to get 14 hours on a very good day.

I'm still trying to decide if I should keep the stock ICS on my GNEX or if I should switch to CM9 to see if there is any benefit to the battery life. I suspect it won't be as dramatic a difference as it was for my hero, though, since the GNEX does not appear to have a bunch of Sprint's undeletable, unstoppable crap that the Hero had.

Of course, I still look back to my old dumb phone prior to getting the Hero and remember how I only had to plug it in once a week. I don't mind pluging in every night, but it is a little stressful when I have to worry about whether or not I will need to charge it some during the day if I expect to be out late that evening.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I have had mine for over 2 weeks now and the battery is doing good.
Lasts all day with normal use.
If I will be going out in the evening and know I won't get back to a charger until late, I throw it on the one I have at work for an hour or so to tide me over.

Question: Does Vibrate really use alot of power?
I have to keep the sound on my phone off while at work so I need something to let me know if I have a message or a call.
Thanks.

Mav. :cool:

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have had mine for over 2 weeks now and the battery is doing good.
Lasts all day with normal use.
If I will be going out in the evening and know I won't get back to a charger until late, I throw it on the one I have at work for an hour or so to tide me over.

Question: Does Vibrate really use alot of power?
I have to keep the sound on my phone off while at work so I need something to let me know if I have a message or a call.
Thanks.

Mav. :cool:

Honestly, I wouldn't imagine vibrate uses that much power....unless it going off all the time. My only thing is I never feel it, I wish it shook as much as some of the old "dumb" phone. I can hear those things from across the room.

Instrumentals

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I throw my phone on silent when im at work, vibrate when im going to bed (though it only really vibrates when I get a text or call) and audio for everything else.

Anyways, battery has been good to me...can go all day with some light email, fb, text/call and some spotify streaming with no problem.

Still need to try it out with heavy music streaming though since all I use is Spotify music wise and that can eat battery up.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome