Why did you choose the Galaxy Nexus over the EVO LTE ?

LDawg07

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys. I've owned an EVO 3D but switched up Nexus S 4G and its treated me well. Really liked Sense, (Come on those weather animations are pretty nice) but love Pure Android. Now after waiting months for the GNex, is it worth it? I mean the new EVO LTE has better specs and features and that display is great. However, the Galaxy Nexus is still dominant. I am a huge Google Fan boy and love my pure ICS. Also, I training to be a developer. So what kept you from the EVO or what did you love so much about the Nexus

Grolley

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Coming from the Evo 4G I would be tempted to lean towards the E4GLTE but the HUGE issue I have is the non-removable battery. I also like the idea of pure ICS. The animations are nice, but I don't think rain drops and a windshield wiper on my screen would sell the phone for me.

JStyles1

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
For me, it was pure ICS and the contoured body of the Nexus. These are both pretty large phones and I love the way the GNex feels in my hand. I feel like the EVO LTE won't have the same great feeling in my hand with its totally flat form factor.

Hardware didn't make much of a difference to me - I basically browse the web, talk, text, and watch the occasional video on my phone.

If the EVO retained the body of the One X, my decision may have been a little harder to make...

stimulatedboredom

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
For me, it's the internal memory. Coming from the EVO 4G, the measly 400+ MB in usable memory became the bane of my existence, constantly having to manage memory, delete apps and clear cache. So for a new phone, I wanted it to be more future proof in terms of ROM.

The new EVO is appealing because of the 1.5 DC processor (versus 1.2 on GN) and the gorilla glass etc (I also love the heftier weight), but it only comes with 16 GB ROM (versus 32 on GN) and although it does allow an SD card, we all know many apps still don't save to SD. The GN does not allows an SD card, but I feel fine knowing I have 32 GB's to work with right off the bat.

The inability to remove the battery is an issue too, as my EVO 4G REQUIRED a 2nd battery, especially when I was traveling. Not being able to swap the battery on the go if I'm running out of juice is a HUGE negative.

Lastly, the pure Google experience is wonderful. When I got my Nexus, I LOVED that there was ZERO Sprint bloatware on the device. I even had to install Flash, because it didn't come standard and allowed the user to decide exactly what they wanted to take up space. On my EVO, apps like Facebook came installed and could never be fully uninstalled, only the updates. The lack of NASCAR and Blockbuster junk on the phone is fantastic!

My gripes with the Nexus are that there is no easy way to make a song your ringtone without
transferring the file to a folder (versus a simple long press or settings option on HTC) and I am not a fan of the Samsung ringer and sound options. Also, there is no visual voicemail, so I had to get a 3rd party app (YouMail) to cover that. There are a few other niggling issues, but nothing worth writing about as a major negative.

Reactions: VMdoug

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Funny thing I realized in considering how to use my upgrade from EVO 4G to either GNex or EVO LTE is that even though I love the build quality of HTC and I certainly don't like Samsung's TouchWiz on the GSII (and presumably GSIII), I can't say there is any element of Sense that I keep active on my EVO. Every time I have done a hard reset or received a replacement EVO (twice), the first thing I do is ditch all of the Sense widgets and empty the panels. I really only run 3 panels of icons and don't use any of the fancy Sense widgets like the big calendar or weather or music player or stocks or the giant homescreen clock. I guess I prefer mine to be simple and sleek with more of my wallpaper photo showing through that gets changed often. Simi Clock is great to still have a nice modern clock and weather, but takes up little space on the homescreen.

After I realized that, I guess the GNex is a better choice for me and I wouldn't use a lot of the new Sense stuff on the EVO LTE anyway. Ordered it today and hope I like it. Nice choice to have between two great phones.

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I usually have to have the latest and greatest so in the past that would mean getting the quad core. After owning the Transformer Prime for the last three months I don't believe I would see any performance improvements over the Nexus dual core. When I say see, I mean in general day to day use. Knowing this it helped narrow my wants or needs down to four major (Major for me) reasons, stock ICS with unlockable bootloader, removable battery and developer support. I've owned the Evo 4G, Evo 3D and the Nexus S 4g. I liked Sense but love stock ICS. I like to root and customize my phones, after the locked bootloader cat and mouse games I had to play with Sprint and HTC with the past Evo line of phones, I like the idea that I can type a couple of commands in a terminal and have a unlocked bootloader and a properly rooted phone. It took me a whole minute and a half to unlock my Galaxy Nexus boot loader and root it. It only took that long because of reboot times. For me the days of rooting that require you to hope on one foot while singing a rendition of William Shatner's rocket man while sacrificing a chicken days are over. Nexus from here on out.
I went from the Evo 3D to the Nexus S 4g because I had stock ICS on my Evo but I would always find myself reaching for my phone to take a picture. As luck would have it because of the 3d camera you cannot find any ICS roms out there with a working camera. That led me to the Nexus S 4g and the discovery of how many REALLY good roms there are out there for it. Developer's tend to reach for a Nexus and as a result there are whole slew of amazing roms to play with. Finally removable battery, this has always been a very important one for me. I usually do not have access to a charging source during the day. I listen on average to six hours of podcasts during my workday and I always end up changing out my battery at least once, some times twice a day. Especially if I do some heavier than usual web surfing during my workday. So for me the Galaxy Nexus was my next choice/only choice because of....
1. Stock ICS from the gate.
2. Stupid easy to unlock the bootloader.
3. Tons of roms from amazing developers
4. The ability to carry a light load of spare batteries to keep me going during the day.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Bestphonever

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
1. That software menu key that's only there on some apps. WTF was htc thinking
2. The LED on the nexus and how awesome it is.
3. Jelly bean roms will be out faster on nexus devices. At least that's what I'm assuming.
4. The Galaxy Nexus was out First.

TropicalSammich

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys. I've owned an EVO 3D but switched up Nexus S 4G and its treated me well. Really liked Sense, (Come on those weather animations are pretty nice) but love Pure Android. Now after waiting months for the GNex, is it worth it? I mean the new EVO LTE has better specs and features and that display is great. However, the Galaxy Nexus is still dominant. I am a huge Google Fan boy and love my pure ICS. Also, I training to be a developer. So what kept you from the EVO or what did you love so much about the Nexus

#1 can't stand 'senseless'
#2 HTC products don't appeal to me
#3 i have a samsung TV:confused:

djpheer

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
My gripes with the Nexus are that there is no easy way to make a song your ringtone without
transferring the file to a folder (versus a simple long press or settings option on HTC) and I am not a fan of the Samsung ringer and sound options. Also, there is no visual voicemail, so I had to get a 3rd party app (YouMail) to cover that. There are a few other niggling issues, but nothing worth writing about as a major negative.

Download "Ringtone Maker" from Play Store. It's free and awesome. No messing around with file folders. :)

tyea

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Removable battery (some people like me don't have time or access to charge the phone).
Developer community is very active with good talent and products.
Software update frequency likely to be higher
Impressed with durability of Samsung phones the last couple of years.

Sprint GN, Tapatalk2

jdubbletrouble

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
i like samsung products (tv, laptop, mobile all preform great)
no patience for an announcement about the SGS3 (ill still get one eventually)
not a whole lot of interest in HTC products (though the ONE series is impressive)
really needed to replace the palm pixi that replaced my broken OG Epic

Gee

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
5 months from now the EVO LTE will be one of the many outdated HTC phones. The Galaxy Nexus will be the center of Android's & Google's & most developer's attention. The NS4G despite being very old HW wise is still relevant. How many phones of that time can you say the same for.

anon(26204)

May 24, 2010
Visit site
5 months from now the EVO LTE will be one of the many outdated HTC phones. The Galaxy Nexus will be the center of Android's & Google's & most developer's attention. The NS4G despite being very old HW wise is still relevant. How many phones of that time can you say the same for.

Good point ^^^^^

Sent From My Sprint Galaxy Nexus ?#?#?#?

anon(41372)

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Hardware buttons, or specifically the lack thereof. The HTC Evo LTE is a nice phone to be sure, but given the software that it runs, you can tell they didn't even think about that damn one line sometimes-there menu button.

Personally I love the look of the Galaxy Nexus. The Nexus S was poorly thought out , being made of glossy plastic with no grip. The Galaxy exudes a certain (not saying perfect) attention to detail, from the slightly gripped back to the angle of the USB charging port. PenTile sucks, but the resolution is so high its hard to see pixels.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Hardware buttons, or specifically the lack thereof. The HTC Evo LTE is a nice phone to be sure, but given the software that it runs, you can tell they didn't even think about that damn one line sometimes-there menu button.

Personally I love the look of the Galaxy Nexus. The Nexus S was poorly thought out , being made of glossy plastic with no grip. The Galaxy exudes a certain (not saying perfect) attention to detail, from the slightly gripped back to the angle of the USB charging port. PenTile sucks, but the resolution is so high its hard to see pixels.

yeah i hate hardware buttons. this isn't 2010. it's 2012 and the age of Ice Cream Sandwich and beyond. virtual buttons provide the flexibility and future proof the phone. who knows what's coming with Jelly Bean? i don't want to be locked into hardware buttons that obstruct, fight, conflict, and get in the way of ICS.

SilverZero

May 21, 2010
Visit site

Well, for one, you can say that about the original Evo 4G, and I believe the E4GL will be just as popular and future-proof. And don't bet on the GNex being the "center" of anybody's attention at Google. They're fickle, and they only focus on one thing at a time, so when it's time to move on, the GNex will fade just like the G1 and every other Google-branded device.

The E4GL will also have easy porting from the HTC One X, so vanilla ICS will be a quick option.