Unable to Text More Than 160 Characters?

SuperSamyon

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone. I'm not sure how common this issue is (or if its even considered an issue), but the standard texting app that the Google Nexus comes with does not allow me to send a text that is larger than 160 characters. Normally most phones would break up the text into multiple text messages if you went beyond 160 characters but the Galaxy Nexus doesn't even allow you to continue typing once you hit 160 characters.

I know there are plenty of other text apps out there but I usually like to keep things simple and stick with the standard text app.

Is there a workaround this issue or has Sprint/Samsung announced a potential fix in the future?

Does anyone else experience this problem?

Technosticrati

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I hope they fix the issue on your Nexus faster than the 13 months and counting that it has been ongoing with my HTC Arrive. Its definitely something on Sprints end since this happens across different phones/ecosystems.

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express

TropicalSammich

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone. I'm not sure how common this issue is (or if its even considered an issue), but the standard texting app that the Google Nexus comes with does not allow me to send a text that is larger than 160 characters. Normally most phones would break up the text into multiple text messages if you went beyond 160 characters but the Galaxy Nexus doesn't even allow you to continue typing once you hit 160 characters.

I know there are plenty of other text apps out there but I usually like to keep things simple and stick with the standard text app.

Is there a workaround this issue or has Sprint/Samsung announced a potential fix in the future?

Does anyone else experience this problem?

It's not a problem, it's simply how the stock app is currently programmed to operate.

if Google decides to change it, it will be via a future SW update.

It may be a condition set via the Cartier, but again it's not some kind of technical problem, just current programming.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
160 character restriction is not a google app issue, its a cdma restriction. Sprint will not change this, it will not be fixed with software updates.

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
It's been years since I had a Sprint phone with the 160 character limitation. Honestly I didn't know the limitation still existed.

Sent from my rooted WHITE E4GT via TapaTalk

soonerfreak

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It's been years since I had a Sprint phone with the 160 character limitation. Honestly I didn't know the limitation still existed.

Sent from my rooted WHITE E4GT via TapaTalk

Yeah I didn't think there was one since my EVO just ignored it. Use go sms pro, I really like it.

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
You didn't notice the problem on your Epic because its messaging app broke the message down into multiple messages. You'll just need a different messaging app if the stock one can't do that.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

scoobdude

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Use google voice, problem solved. There are other apps which break it into several text messages. But yes it is a CDMA/Sprint issue.

ilaifire

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
This is a CDMA issue. There is a difference between the way CDMA and GSM handles long text messages (can't give you a technical explanation, sorry). If you get handcent or some other 3rd party app and you try sending a long message what the other person receives looks like this "< .2MC4!>gY r*6A9] !> Yv i:'gP\u0009 cZ N4^c !; A". To be able to properly send the messages you need to go into the settings and tell it to break the long message up into 160 chunks. As such I'm assuming the stock android app puts a hard limit of 160 so as to not have to account for being used on a CDMA or GSM network, while the manufacturer specific text messenger apps like the one on the HTC Evo (bloatware according to some people) are designed to run on a specific network so they account for this already.

jacephine

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
Personally, regarding the Nexus/160 character texting block, well I am left just...speechless! (Which is great if I were in middle of a text bc I wouldn't have to re think and adjust my thoughts to fit the limit, go back, pick up where I remember.. hopefully before 5 text messages come in from my textee! ANYHOW, THIS IS QUITE APPALLING TO ME, I JUST IMPULSIVELY LEFT THE EPIC(4g), right before,of course the Galaxy ||| came out. I was told(sold) on "The Nexus is a way better phone than the Galaxy ||?" by a Sprint salesman obviously good at his job! All in all, what I expect to receive from a good phone is 0- dropped calls, easily accessible to internet for mainly email, finding "places" AND #1, TEXTING, INCLUDING TALK TO TEXT FEATURE WITHOUT A CHARACTER LIMIT??? With the extremely slim & sleek look of the Nexus, one might think, "Wow, what will they think of next"?!!? Well sorry Nexus from Sprint..I'm thinking Zack Morris had a better text feature back in1990 w his oversized mobile phone nearly the size of an infant! IDK..I know it has certainly been years since I've had a phone w char .limit, &frankly Im just pissed that Sprint &/or Google can't/won't improve this setting, leaving me to shop around on app store possibly finding a good free app, or in their case, hopefully I buy 1...

WOW, TRULY SRY 2WRITE SO MUCH, BUT IT FELT GOOD NOT 2GET CUT OFF @160(w a countdown,lol) IF NE1 ACTUALLY READ MY VENTING PLEASE TELME@SIMPLEST TXT APP4 FREE
ID GREATLY APPRECIATE IT~*

Last edited:

standog100

May 23, 2012
Visit site
160 character restriction is not a google app issue, its a cdma restriction. Sprint will not change this, it will not be fixed with software updates.

I disagree with you because my international s2 that that's gsm also has that limitation

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

standog100

May 23, 2012
Visit site
this issue was brought to my notice just last week by a friend using Gs2, the easy solution is to install `go sms pro` no rooting require you can just pick it for free from playstore.....I.e it's not a cdma problem cos my phone runs on gsm

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
All SMS messages are limited to 160 characters. It has nothing to do with the specific network or the specific phone. It's just the way SMS technology works. Now some manufacturers and software dev make it such that you can send a longer message and it will automatically get spilt into 160 character chunck, but that's all they are doing. They are automatically splitting the message for you.

Don't get me wrong, that's a convienent feature, but it's a feature built into the skin, so I understand why Google decided to leave it out. (Like when they left out digital zoom on the Nexus S.)

jasmine5904

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
:

+1:)

sent from Evo4G using Tapatalk

+2 for Handcent SMS. It's free, and I downloaded it purely for the ability to keep typing my texts after the character limit (not have to stop, hit send, keep typing, etc). I've been using it for the last month or so, and it's been very reliable. That was the one thing that frustrated me after switching to the GNEX, and Handcent fixed it for me. :)