phone won't show up on My Computer when plugged in via USB

dakota.breeden

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
OK, so if you are running windows you need to make sure you have the samsung usb drivers: Support - Sprint Cell Phones SPH-L700 | Samsung Cell Phones and you need to open up windows media player and update it. That should fix the problem, be sure to leave your device unplugged while doing these steps. To be safe just reboot your phone and computer after installing those. Report back if this worked, and if it didn't.

bDawk2016

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I know it's been some time since anyone commented on here, but I figured I'd try my luck before posting a new post. I have the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus and am having the same problem. I updated/reinstalled all the drivers, have checked/unchecked USB debugging, rebooted the phone and restarted the PC and still cannot connect. It says "Connected as a USB" and the device shows up in My Computer when connected as PTP, but does not show up when connected as MTP (even though it makes the chirp sound and says "Connected as a USB"). Is there any solution for this? Is it possible it's the USB cable? Something I disabled in My Computer?

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I know it's been some time since anyone commented on here, but I figured I'd try my luck before posting a new post. I have the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus and am having the same problem. I updated/reinstalled all the drivers, have checked/unchecked USB debugging, rebooted the phone and restarted the PC and still cannot connect. It says "Connected as a USB" and the device shows up in My Computer when connected as PTP, but does not show up when connected as MTP (even though it makes the chirp sound and says "Connected as a USB"). Is there any solution for this? Is it possible it's the USB cable? Something I disabled in My Computer?

Is your phone unlocked when you do all of this?

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly flashed Sprint Galaxy Nexus with XenonHD

Shaggyskunk

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
You have to use the EXACT cord that came with your phone, not just one that fits. I tried everything else but it was the cord.

That's patently NOT true! Some USB cables might be a problem - but it's usually because they're cheap as possible...

More importantly, you have to make sure that you've downloaded the correct Samsung drivers to your pc.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Ravleen Kaur

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
when i first got my phone and connected it onto laptop it was working fine till it stopped installing my phone..
i tried unpugging and changing setting from my phone but it still isnt working.
ive also taken on my password but still no use can u please help ?

Danish Roshan

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue multiple times.
It kept happening till I figured this one out.
Try this.
1. Go to Storage in the Settings menu.
2. Open the options , there should be one that says USB computer connection
3. While the device is connected to your computer, Check the Media device (MTP) option.
4. This should probably be unchecked , even after connecting your cable. And THAT is your issue.
5. Select MTP and you should probably be able to read your device on your computer now,
AND it shouldn't make a difference what cable you are using.
Cheers. :D

Melanie Clement

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Anyone have trouble with Samsung Galaxy 4 showing up on HP laptop - using correct cords; have correct Samsung USB driver installed and latest; restarted computer; computer recognizes that I am connected as it makes the sound of connection and the phone itself reads 'connected as usb media' however it shows nowhere on the pc itself. I've tried changing to camera type of usb but both don't show on pc. I went to samsung and they are not helpful. Anyone have this issue? It is only since the latest update as I downloaded music to my phone just a few weeks ago. Also to download to the phone via bluetooth would work but can't see how that is done.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Check to make sure that the MTP is checked *before* connecting it to your computer. That seemed to be my problem. Nothing was checked and selecting it after the fact only worked for the PTP option.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

anon(9014931)

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
mine used to show up as a storage device and then disappeared. Now it shows up as a file under My PC. Can copy files to and from the folder. Search for a folder with your phone ID.

BeTeeDubs

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I also have a galaxy nexus sprint and the symbol isnt appearing at the top.....its the cord that came with the phone and it is undamaged.

ASJ_Nexus

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem with my Nexus 4. For me this is what fixed it:
On your phone go to Settings>Storage>USB computer Connection (the USB Computer Connection option is available by clicking on the three dots on the top right corner of the screen (at least on my Nexus 4 with Android 4.4)

When you click on USB Computer Connection a new screen will appear. You have two options on that screen (i.e. two checkboxes). You can select to connect as Media device (MTP) or as Camera (PTP).
If you just want to transfer pictures, then it doesn't really matter if you chose MTP or PTP, but MTP is more flexible so try to select this one first and see if it works.

After you select one of these two checkboxes, connect your phone to your computer again, and it should work again (i.e. you should now see your phone as an external drive when you look at the file explorer of your computer).

Madihah Haqqi

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I have the Google Nexus 5 and I'm having the same problem. I plug it into my computer using a usb cord and it will start charging and even make that little "ding" sound. A little thing will pop up in the corner asking what I want to do with this device but if I click on it nothing works. I want to add a different ringtone to the phone and transfer pictures but I dont see the actually phone as a device on the computer. :'(

Vorda Varlord

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Belive me...I tried all types of drivers and nothing seems to help,not even cord switch,but i found a solution to this problem,and its way too simple and easy.When someone says "All you have to do..." he knows nothing about it and he missed the thread.
I belive i have found a solution because after my Firmware Update of Jelly Bean 4.2.2 my Telefunken tablet couldn't connect MASS Storage to PC...so i tried to reinstall my firmware so I turned it off and pressed "-"and "Switch button" and it switched on over safe mode...after i connected my USB cord it prompted me to turn on the Mass Storage...after i did it showed up on my PC!!!
!!!!Just switch on using "Safe mode" it works!!! :cool: Happy New Year!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz