phone won't show up on My Computer when plugged in via USB

azgalorRC

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
does anyone have a solution for this? i need to copy files to my device but i cant since my computer won't recognize the USB connection (even though the phone still charges)

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging > Make sure this box is unchecked.

Mav. :cool:

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Nexus 6.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
If the pins in your cable become damaged, it can prevent the phone from being recognized as a data storage device while still allowing power transmission for charging. Try another cable. ;)

If that fails, you may be running into a driver problem or conflict on the computer.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
mine either i plug in my nexus with the right cable but my computer doesnt even show it but it still charges what do i do:':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)(
as you cantell im upset

There are two USB settings for the phone. When you plug the phone into the computer a notification shows in the bar. Click the notification and switch to the "other" USB setting. It should work then.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Cosmikwulf

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I am having a similar issue with my Nexus when I attempt to plug it into my new notebook (Windows 8) it will chirp and start charging but is otherwise unnoticed by my pc. However when I plug it into my desktop which is Windows 7 using the same cord it reads as a media device and charges. :confused: :confused: :confused: :'(

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
You might need to download a driver for Windows8.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
worked fine pre- update.. now its not recognizing.. anything i can do?

I just thought of something and apologize for not mentioning it sooner: if you have set up any of the various screenlock options (PIN, Pattern, Password, etc), then you will not see the Nexus4 as a drive in Windows Explorer until you unlock the phone.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I found that Win 8 did need the driver to be installed (from samsung's site) before it allowed it to be recognized. Charging will work since the USB port will provide that current regardless of whether the PC has the driver, or not. <-- as gnr_2 said.
One of the few drivers that actually need to be loaded. I'm thrilled that Win 8 didn't make me install drivers (and the crazy bloated installation packages for my network printers)

(also, as N4Newbie said, you will need to screen unlock your phone if it is locked)

Carolyn Muldoon

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I stumbled upon this thread because I was having the same problem. (plugged in, charging, not registering as "connected to usb".) Turns out there was a Samsung USB update a couple months back. Went to samsungs site, then to dowloands, then to software, and there it was. Downloaded it to my PC, plugged my phone in again, and it was business as usual. Thanks everyone for the help! And I hope this helps anybody still having problems!

mAr321

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi. I am facing the same problem. Dont know which software to download. Can you please share the link of the software?

Thanks.

VanahSunshine

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same problem, my phone and my pc don't recognize anything but a charge when hooking up my phone on my pc via usb cord.... my phone is not a nexus or a galaxy, and I haven't recently had an update on my phone or computer...and I dont have the setting developer options?... My phone is an HTC Inspire 4G, and all I need to do is be able to load my pictures on my phone onto my pc. I have also tried multiple usb cords, and my pc doesn't have a wifi card or Id try connecting via wifi. pls help I have tried everything i can think of. PLS HELP!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke