4G LTE, Battery drains and the "Self Discovery" mode.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I finally found the article that talked about the "Self Discovery Mode" that is supposed to be sent out via an OTA update in June once Sprint activates their 4G LTE service.

"Sprint will be taking delivery of their GNex's from Samsung with LTE turned off. Don't worry, the LTE is still capable. It just will not be on by default like many Verizon devices. When you boot up your Sprint Galaxy Nexus it is going to go into 3G mode. You will then be able to toggle into WiFi, 3G or 4G LTE. This is largely because at launch, the Sprint 4G LTE network will not be mature enough to support a 4G LTE always-on connection. Sprint will likely have less than 200 LTE sites live nationwide when the GNex goes on sale.

It is anticipated that Sprint will offer sometime in June the ability for the Galaxy Nexus to go into LTE Self Discovery mode, where the device will be able to search for a LTE signal on it is own, and turn LTE off itself automatically if it cannot connect to LTE 1900. This would be a pretty desirable setting. Keeping a LTE signal when at all possible, but minimizing the battery drain of just leaving the LTE on all the time. This will be particularly important during the phase while Sprint is in the process of adding service in your area. Self discovery mode is likely to be added via an OTA."

Sounds like Sprint heard the complaints from the Verizon camp and did something about it.
I have not heard that this plan has changed so YAY for us. :D

Mav. :cool:

Reactions: almath

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Can you please post a link to the article? Thanks

CONFIRMED: Sprint targeting April 15th for Galaxy Nexus launch - Sprint 4G Rollout Updates

It also has this interesting nugget of information:

"Another aspect of the Galaxy Nexus is that it fully supports eHRPD. This is the protocol established to allow 3G EVDO to seamlessly handoff to 4G LTE. Back and forth. This will be especially helpful in travelling in and out of LTE service while it is under deployment. The eHRPD will be a welcome improvement over the handoff failures that customers often complained about between 3G EVDO and 4G WiMax. Let's hope that Sprint's eHRPD is more successful than Verizon's. Which is often one of the culprits heard blamed for Verizon's LTE outages that keep occurring."

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Bumping this back up.

More scuttlebutt from the S4Gru.com site says the OTA update from Sprint could be out in the next few weeks to coincide with them turning on 4G LTE in the first planned markets.

As I am in one of those markets, I am stoked. :D

LTE IN THE ATL!!!!!!!!!

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Not to beat a dead horse here, but do you guys think that the radio signals can be significantly improved by Google/Samsung/Sprint? I would love it if they could, cause I really liked this phone and am about to pull the trigger on an EVO LTE purchase (if only Sprint would make them available). Does anyone have a good idea that 3G/wifi/GPS signals can be improved to any great extent on the GNex with further updates? I know some people are okay with the performance, but many others are not.

Thx.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Not to beat a dead horse here, but...

You seem to be one of those with whom the SGN is not working out. ;)
I am coming up on 10 years with Sprint and as I have never had service with anyone else, I have nothing to compare it to.
With that said, I have not had any problems with their service, reception, calls dropping, etc during that time.
I don't see me changing anytime soon.
Yes, Sprint rolled the dice on a few things and it came up Snake Eyes for them but they regrouped and are heading in the right direction. Once they get all of the network updates done, they will, once again, be a force in the market.
Of course, this is just my opinion. As others have said, your mileage may vary.
As long as we remain loyal to Sprint, I believe we will be rewarded.
Grab the EVO if that works better for you, just hang with Sprint if you can.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Nexus 6.

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
You seem to be one of those with whom the SGN is not working out. ;)
I am coming up on 10 years with Sprint and as I have never had service with anyone else, I have nothing to compare it to.
With that said, I have not had any problems with their service, reception, calls dropping, etc during that time.
I don't see me changing anytime soon.
Yes, Sprint rolled the dice on a few things and it came up Snake Eyes for them but they regrouped and are heading in the right direction. Once they get all of the network updates done, they will, once again, be a force in the market.
Of course, this is just my opinion. As others have said, your mileage may vary.
As long as we remain loyal to Sprint, I believe we will be rewarded.
Grab the EVO if that works better for you, just hang with Sprint if you can.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Nexus 6.

Hah! Don't get me wrong, I'm a Sprint loyalist over 11 years now and won't be leaving anytime soon. I guess I am just wondering if there are OTA updates to the GNex that will make it much better than it currently is radio-wise, or of it is what it is...as the saying goes. I'm no expert on how OTA updates can or cannot alter the radios.

If anything, I'm a GNex cheerleader wishing it could be what I want it to be.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Hah! Don't get me wrong, I'm a Sprint loyalist over 11 years now and won't be leaving anytime soon. I guess I am just wondering if there are OTA updates to the GNex that will make it much better than it currently is radio-wise, or of it is what it is...as the saying goes. I'm no expert on how OTA updates can or cannot alter the radios.

If anything, I'm a GNex cheerleader wishing it could be what I want it to be.

I understand. I was not implying otherwise. Glad you are, like me, a Sprinter. :p

The OTA I noted seems to be for switching between 3G and 4G.

The only other update was the one they release the first week it was out.

What problem(s) are you having?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy