Google Wallet -- how to use?

egburr

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
So, those of you who have successfully used Google Wallet at a store. How did you do it?

I tried for the first time last night at a CVS that Google lists as accepting Wallet. I started the app, entered my pin code, selected the card, and then felt silly waving my phone around the payment pad with nothing happening. I finally gave up and dug my credit card out of my pocket to pay with.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
u have to hold it up to the pad not wave it and u have to exit the app before using it at a pay pass aka have the phone on the home screen

Sent from my Nexus S 4g using Tapatalk 2

egburr

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Well I wasn't waving it at first, but since nothing happened I thought maybe moving it around would help. But having to exit the app first seems a little counter-intuitive; I didn't even think of trying that. Thanks for the tip.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah because the nfc chip the phone has to be on the home screen for all or most nfc transactions well at least for gw u have to add the funds then exit and use the pay pass

stinkyfischer

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
i usually keep the app open on the prepaid card screen when i pay and it works. Some places it still will not work then i also feel a'fool holding my phone up to the credit card swiper. But most places it works instantly. you must touch it to the reader

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't have to touch the meter at all just hold it by it and HAVE THE PHONE ON THE HOMESCREEN it even says that in the directions on how to use it :rolleyes:

gmbrown

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't have to touch the meter at all just hold it by it and HAVE THE PHONE ON THE HOMESCREEN it even says that in the directions on how to use it :rolleyes:

If that's what you think the directions say, you should try reading them again. The in-app help specifically says you need to touch the phone to the pad. And you're half right about the home screen thing--it says you can be on the home screen, but you don't HAVE to.

davemacd

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I have been using Google Wallet a couple times a week for the last six months, and I have NEVER had my phone on the homescreen. In fact, I'm pretty sure it doesn't work if the phone is on the homescreen.

briankurtz79

May 18, 2010
Visit site
ive done it both ways. only difference is if youve opened the app already then you just tap it once and your good. if your on the home screen the phone tap will prompt ypu enter your pin and then you have to tap again to send the payment. works either way

e2ackbar

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I used it for the first time at a nearby BP station today. One cashier knew what I was trying to do, but the other one didn't understand. I got an error message on the phone (incorrect card?), but the terminal accepted the payment. After exiting GW, the balance updated on the Google prepaid card. Next time I will try it from the home screen (maybe I won't get that odd error). Hopefully this system will continue to expand among retailers!

ali247

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I have also used it the way briankurtz79 used it. I think having the app open may speed up the process though. I usually try to open it first then tap it against the nfc reader. I have also used it without a data connection and with the screen just on. For some reason it does not work at all stores. Even when I tell the cashier it is a credit transaction. For me it won't work at McDowell's but will work at Burger King. I tried using it at BP but it kept giving me an error. Worked at Rite Aid for me also.

stinkyfischer

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I used it for the first time at a nearby BP station today. One cashier knew what I was trying to do, but the other one didn't understand. I got an error message on the phone (incorrect card?), but the terminal accepted the payment. After exiting GW, the balance updated on the Google prepaid card. Next time I will try it from the home screen (maybe I won't get that odd error). Hopefully this system will continue to expand among retailers!

I have had that error too a few times. I think at a BP also. It still works though. Its a little longer before it beeps and accepts it when I get that error too.

Reno Skyy

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It has worked flawless for me ever sence my nexus s 4g days never had a problem u just hold the phone up to the pad no matter what ur doing iv used it while browsing the web or on google plus its so easy to use! :) I even used it out in the middle of no where with no data or even signal at that u just need to tell the cashier to put on the register u paying with credit but sometimes the cashiers don't know what ur doing u have to tell him twice an it will work never had a error message over here

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Erckul

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I open Google Wallet and enter the pin before I approach the register, and leave it on the screen that shows the Google prepaid card with your balance. Like Reno Skyy said, tell the cashier that you're paying by credit, hold the phone against the card reader, and you'll hear a confirmation tone. The screen will immediatly change over showing the current balance after the purchase you've just made and you're done!

I have never had an issue using my on my stock Verizon Gnex (never unlocked it) since I installed it using the trick posted in the forums. Love Google Wallet and will continue to use it.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Why can't we use Google Wallet in the Play Store? Seems like an obvious thing for Google to do. I've got 50 bucks in my account I'd love to be able to use for music and applications.

Sent via my Galaxy Nexus
60% of the time, It works every time!

schwars1

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Somewhat related: I've successfully used Google Wallet once at 7-11, but I'd like to start using it more as tons places around me are accepting it.

My question, though, is that without a MasterCard my only option is to load money from an existing credit card onto the prepaid GW card, right? That seems like a lot of extra work - is there any way to tie my current (Visa) card into the app?

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Why can't we use Google Wallet in the Play Store?

"All purchases for Android apps on Google Play can be made either using a credit/debit card on Google Wallet or, if available, by billing to your mobile carrier."
Also, Google Wallet - where it works indicates that "Google's own sites and stores" will accept google wallet.

I haven't had the opportunity to use wallet on the play store yet. Is it not working for you? (on the payment screen, does it not give you the option to switch to google wallet instead of the credit card?

============
Edit: Hmm - just tried a dummy transaction (canceled before actual purchase) - you are right - it doesn't seem to permit selecting anything besides the credit card registered on google wallet - UGH!

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Edit: Hmm - just tried a dummy transaction (canceled before actual purchase) - you are right - it doesn't seem to permit selecting anything besides the credit card registered on google wallet - UGH!

Yeah my thoughts exactly. I can tie a credit card to Google Wallet and use that or bill my carrier. I want to use the funds available in my Google Wallet account. I wrote down my Google Wallet card number but there's no 3 digit ccv number, no expiration date which are both required fields to setup a credit card to your account. It seems like such an obvious opportunity for Google to push Wallet. They already have the info tied to my email address you'd think it would be a snap to tie the accounts together just like any of their other services.

Sent via my Galaxy Nexus
60% of the time, It works every time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz