Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

ROM
    JB Paranoid Android 1.99

Default Re: Seriously considering Nexus devices from now on

I agree with what's said 100% so far and think that stock is the only way to go. I truly believe that the OEM's should give people a toggle in their settings that switches to the stock launcher. For the ones who don't know how to root and flash a stock ROM, they're really missing out.

As far as the camera goes, I took this picture tonight without pressing to focus. Just loaded up HDR Camera from the lockscreen and took the pic within a sec. I bet everyone who complains about the camera are still using the stock app.

A bit off-topic..
    Quote Originally Posted by levity View Post
    yeah and sometimes it is. i switch between bugless beast and aokp most of the time. on bugless beast now set to the stock 1200mhz on the interactive governor. 36+ hours of battery life
    Once I discovered AOKP, I've been on it ever since. I'm curious though, what's the screen-on time with one of those 36+ hour charges? If it's high enough, I'll give BB a shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seriously considering Nexus devices from now on-2012-06-22_22-35-22_hdr.jpg  
    AC Adviser

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    Pure Google

GSM Nexus' usually get updated before the CDMA Nexus'.

I just got the Sprint Galaxy Nexus and am 100% certain it was the best decision. No need for any manufacturer skins slowing down the device OR the update cycle. Plus, I am over companies like Motorola "determining" whether or not a high end device that is less than a year old will even RECEIVE a major update, let alone WHEN (looking right at you, Motorola Photon 4G).

I was also in the same boat as the OG Poster. I didn't want to use my upgrade because wanted to have the option to use it later if I decided to. Found my GNexus on Amazon from a trusted vendor, in almost mint condition, for $300. The extra $100 was worth it to have the freedom and convenience of not being tied to a contract. And even if something WAS wrong with my device, I have insurance.
    Geek Freak

Global Posts
    516 Global Posts

I am using the VZW GNEX, rooted, rom'd (CM9) and kernel'd. I just LOVE this phone! My wife is getting the VZW GS III, I am a bit jealous, but each time I updated my GNEX or customize it, I am just a happy camper and don't see what else I would want to use. Great performance, great battery, will be the first to get Jelly Bean etc...Love it!
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

Quote Originally Posted by jspidey View Post
    My first Android phone was a Nexus One. I never had a phone treat me so well. The only real reason I upgraded was due to the very limited storage space on it. Yeah, some things started to slow down (Tiny Tower for example), but I had no issues with it whatsoever.
    I kept my N1 running up until a month ago. I've had a Sensation sitting in the box for over 6 months because I loved using the N1 so much. Not sure if you're aware of it (you probably are), but sometime in the last year I discovered SD-EXT which basically mounted a partition on your sd card so the system reads it like internal memory. That solved my biggest issue with the N1 which was internal storage. I basically set 1gb from my 8gb sd card as internal storage. If youre not aware of it try S2E, which is a dead simple way to enable SD-EXT on the N1. Make a backup as it wipes your sd card. Hope you still have your N1 because this breathes new life into it. If my N1 ever breaks, i'll grab a new one off ebay

I only started using the sensation as my daily driver since cm9 nightlies were released for it, but I still use my N1 as a backup/music player/in car navi and more as i slowly add more apps to the sensation

Global Posts
    489 Global Posts

It amazes me to see people asking for a "switch" from Samsung or HTC to switch off their skins (TW/Sense). The roms they use are no different than a custom rom from Cyanogen or anyone else - their rom has it compiled into the rom and you would have to flash a whole different rom to get rid of TW or Sense - isn't ever going to happen. The best you can get is for the OEMs to tone down their changes to stock (haven't used Sense 4.0 or TW 5.0 or stock Android so can't give any opinion of those particular things). Personally, I've been using a Dinc 2 with Gingerbread 2.3.5 with Sense 2.1 and works fine for me. Not sure what my next phone will be (although I ordered a GS3 with my last subsidized upgrade at VZW to preserve unlimited - not sure if I can deal with the size - love my Dinc 2).

Global Posts
    1,375 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

As I type this on my Google Chromebook, I am selling everything tech and going all Google. I used to sit on the edge of my seat waiting for the next android phone to come out. I have almost had all of them....then I got a Galaxy Nexus. It is such a good balance of everything. I sold my laptop and I'm now living in the cloud. I sold my Xoom and will buy the Nexus 7 when it comes out. I love Google.

I would like to point out that as great as they are AOKP and Cyanogenmod are NOT stock. They are close but not quite stock. They have been enhanced with more features and control. My suggestion is if you like a true stock experience (something that can be somewhat lacking) go with a Nexus, if you want an AOKP/Cyanogenmod expirience then just go with a popular phone (GSIII) and wait for them to support it, that way you get brag-worthy hardware and the AOKP/Cyanogenmod experience.

i was tired of fighting skins, bloat, conflicting software/hardware with Android (Hard buttons with ICS WTF?), and slow updates. hence - it was G-Nex for me. and it will always be Nexus for me if i can help it. i'm a minimalist - and i like a pure, unadulterated, non-bastardized, uncluttered, non-bogged down experience.
    contact25 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckG73 View Post
    As I type this on my Google Chromebook, I am selling everything tech and going all Google. I used to sit on the edge of my seat waiting for the next android phone to come out. I have almost had all of them....then I got a Galaxy Nexus. It is such a good balance of everything. I sold my laptop and I'm now living in the cloud. I sold my Xoom and will buy the Nexus 7 when it comes out. I love Google.
    i would consider this but i need true MS Office (Excel and Word). i have some huge spreadsheets that require true Excel. there may be other obstacles - but this is a big one that comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i would consider this but i need true MS Office (Excel and Word). i have some huge spreadsheets that require true Excel. there may be other obstacles - but this is a big one that comes to mind.
    There are a number of free and paid apps that will allow full operation (new,edit,send,copy/paste,etc) under Android. no app gives you complete Microsoft functions. And Microsoft office is coming soon to Android

Quote Originally Posted by kbboykin View Post

There are a number of free and paid apps that will allow full operation (new,edit,send,copy/paste,etc) under Android. no app gives you complete Microsoft functions. And Microsoft office is coming soon to Android
    yes i already have the paid version of Documents To Go. it's really good but it does not support web queries and certain formulas and formats. i hope that if and when MS Office for Android arrives it will support these functions.

Try OfficeSuite 6 or QuickOffice, which Google just acquired. I use all of these but dislike Documents to Go. Amazon appstore frequently discounts OfficeSuite 6 - I use it the most, especially for my professional office

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts

Aren't you guys frustrated by the weak WiFi range of the Sprint GNex? And weak GPS? And weak 3G signal? I certainly was and had to ditch it even tho I really enjoyed stock ICS on what I felt was a great device. The difference in all 3 areas as well as battery life moving to EVO LTE has been amazing after several weeks of use. The GNex was great, but I couldn't deal with those Sammy radios by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Stein View Post
    weak WiFi range of the Sprint GNex? And weak GPS? And weak 3G signal? battery life
    not seeing this. what exactly did you experience? was it actual performance experience or were you looking at illustrative bars (or lack thereof)?

Global Posts
    623 Global Posts

Don't waste your upgrade on a galaxy nexus, better to use craigslist and get one nib for around 300 maybe 350...

Why spend 200 now and get locked into older tech when by the end of the year 5 manuafactors might come out with new models?

Plus the camera sucks....

Android phone loss value pretty quickly, search craigslist in your area and get one locally.

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts

not seeing this. what exactly did you experience? was it actual performance experience or were you looking at illustrative bars (or lack thereof)?
    Completely active performance. I do realize that the GNex in general shows fewer bars, but this was straight up performance. It had much worse WiFi range in my own house than my prior EVO 4G, our other EVO Design, or my EVO LTE. The 3G signal was not acceptable in places where I need a connection during work or even in my house. I couldnt make calls where I was used to or can now. The GPS pickup was much, much slower.

I know some people really love the GNex and I also liked it a lot, but in daily use it was a no go for me. Take a look at the GNex forums for sprint and verizon to see that I am not alone. The Sammy radios for the GNex, the Nexus S and the Epic 4G are sub par. And the EVO LTE has been better than I expected.

Both good, but I wouldn't trade after giving each a fair shake.

Sent via EVO LTE

Quote Originally Posted by delta7 View Post
    Don't waste your upgrade on a galaxy nexus, better to use craigslist and get one nib for around 300 maybe 350...

Why spend 200 now and get locked into older tech when by the end of the year 5 manuafactors might come out with new models?

Plus the camera sucks....

Android phone loss value pretty quickly, search craigslist in your area and get one locally.
    dumb comment. that could be said about any technology - "newer" is always coming right around the corner.

in fact - Nexus is the best choice given the concern because it has the highest probability of getting updated to the new OS version over all other Android phones. who do you think will get Jelly Bean first?

there's lots of Android phones - but there's only one Nexus.

but this point has already been beaten to death ad infinitum so you should already know it by now.

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts

dumb comment. that could be said about any technology - "newer" is always coming right around the corner.

in fact - Nexus is the best choice given the concern because it has the highest probability of getting updated to the new OS version over all other Android phones. who do you think will get Jelly Bean first?

there's lots of Android phones - but there's only one Nexus.

but this point has already been beaten to death ad infinitum so you should already know it by now.
    Agree. If anything, you preserve value by getting a Nexus since it would receive more updates, and earlier. I just needed better radio performance.

Sent via EVO LTE

How bout a better camera too?

Global Posts
    824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Stein View Post
    Aren't you guys frustrated by the weak WiFi range of the Sprint GNex? And weak GPS? And weak 3G signal? I certainly was and had to ditch it even tho I really enjoyed stock ICS on what I felt was a great device. The difference in all 3 areas as well as battery life moving to EVO LTE has been amazing after several weeks of use. The GNex was great, but I couldn't deal with those Sammy radios by any means.
    I will second the comment about weak WiFi range (no issues with GPS or the 3G - besides sprint's sucky 3G coverage across the board anyway)
    I swapped my EVO 3D for the GNex a week ago - and found that the WiFi signal on the GNex is horrible compared to the EVO 3D. If I'm standing right next to the router, I have full strength. But in the adjacent room (where my EVO 3D continues to get full strength), the GNex drops to almost zero signal (and occasionally will drop the signal altogether). I have my EVO 3D with me, so it was an easy comparison.

Also, based on the past week's observations, Battery life on the GNex is about 70% (or so) of what my EVO 3D would provide (similar usage).

Having said that, do I regret moving to the GNex? Hell no!

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jj14x View Post
    I will second the comment about weak WiFi range (no issues with GPS or the 3G - besides sprint's sucky 3G coverage across the board anyway)
    I swapped my EVO 3D for the GNex a week ago - and found that the WiFi signal on the GNex is horrible compared to the EVO 3D. If I'm standing right next to the router, I have full strength. But in the adjacent room (where my EVO 3D continues to get full strength), the GNex drops to almost zero signal (and occasionally will drop the signal altogether). I have my EVO 3D with me, so it was an easy comparison.

Also, based on the past week's observations, Battery life on the GNex is about 70% (or so) of what my EVO 3D would provide (similar usage).

I'd bet that you would love the EVO LTE. It really does many things very well with only a few minuses.

Sent via EVO LTE

ROM
    Nexus 6 w/5.1 & LED.

Quote Originally Posted by jj14x View Post
    I concur.
    I don't Wi-Fi very often but when I do, I have not found any problem with finding, keeping and using the signal.
    Normal Sprint 3G, but I am used to it.
    Looking forward to the 4G LTE which will be on soon.
    Vanilla ICS, no bloat, top of the list for updates.
    Best phone I ever had.
    Just my $.02

Mav.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Nexus 6.

I have the Epic 4G (Galaxy S OG) I love my phone but have a hard time using sprints network. I got this phone because of the 4G But 4G never came to Phoenix. The GSM Nexus would be my option. 1) You get hspa+ speeds, which from everything I have heard give you pretty good data speeds. You also don't have to worry about the drain that LTE Causes on your battery if you are in an area that will get it when and if it ever launches 2) You can also choice between AT&T and T-Mobile. I would go with T-Mobile. 3) Your not locked into another 2 year contract. I do agree with you though I think its Nexus devices for me from here on. I would wait until the next Nexus comes out though. You might have the option of choosing your manufacturer and hopefully the camera will be better.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums

I can't wait for my dream device the Motorola Nexus. Been praying for this for two years. All Motorola hardware and nothing but pure Android software with no skin or bloat, well minimal bloat if on verizon. I hope when Google makes the next batch of Nexus they'll include cdma devices. I read that they will give 5 companies the Nexus brand project, we have to assume Motorola is one of them.
    Have they announced the other 4 companies for the Nexus builds? I assume Moto, HTC, and samsung are in the top three.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast