Seriously considering Nexus devices from now on

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I had an OG Evo that was out of contract this month. I wanted a Gnex so about 4 months ago I picked up an unlocked Gnex from Amazon. Thing was it was an international one (from the documentation i's say it was Czechoslovakian along with an adapter for the euro plug charger). Used the Walmart Tmo 30.00 plan. I was using it more than the Evo. Since my contract was up this month I wanted to get the E4GLTE. Personally I loved the phone but the bugs in the software and the lack of signal drove me to return it. Now I'm saving 60.00 and looking forward to my next Nexus when they announce it. The Gnex is rooted and Rom'ed and i'm a happy camper. Go For IT! :D

sedracer

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
You know you can overclock it to 1650, right? :) I mean it might cause ill effects, but with a proper kernel this thing gets nutty.

yeah and sometimes it is. i switch between bugless beast and aokp most of the time. on bugless beast now set to the stock 1200mhz on the interactive governor. 36+ hours of battery life and no lag worth complaining about on some pretty strenuous games, NBA Jam, Mass Effect, Dead Space, some lag in GTA 3 but rarely.

tdoom15

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
There are supposed to be multiple nexus devices coming out this fall no? Rumored to have Jelly Bean, and the next jump in specs should be this fall as well. I'd definitely wait till the fall and grab one then, assuming the above info is corret.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Really don't have any complaints with mine. Like the phone much better than the Epic I had before it.

Got to use the Evo LTE a bit and it's a great phone too. As I'm sure the Galaxy S3 will be too. In my opinion Google did a wonderful job with stock ICS and there's no need to change it all up with any skin. I wish they would just build upon stock ICS a little if they want to add a few things instead of changing the whole damn experience.

I am glad I stuck too my I initial thoughts of going Nexus on my next phone. I got sick and tired of the delays and promises from Samsung and Sprint with my Epic. I understand being on Sprint will still likely delay my Nexus upgrade experience but this phone is easy enough to go around that if I want.

I had my Epic rooted on CM9 and loved it prior to the phone breaking down. It made sense to me to just get the phone that has the OS I loved already on it. Granted CM9 ads some cool stuff that stock ICS doesn't have. However I've found that with Nova Launcher Prime I can pretty much do anything to the phone I want, not everything but at the same time everything works.

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
If you need a nexus now consider buying one straight out w/ no contract. They are fairly reasonable on EBay. Then if and when the next Nexus comes out your in with nothing holding you back, and YES the Galaxy Nexus will be the first phone to get Jelly Bean soon... cha ching!

Sent from my GneX via Tapatalk

Pengwn

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I agree with what's said 100% so far and think that stock is the only way to go. I truly believe that the OEM's should give people a toggle in their settings that switches to the stock launcher. For the ones who don't know how to root and flash a stock ROM, they're really missing out.

As far as the camera goes, I took this picture tonight without pressing to focus. Just loaded up HDR Camera from the lockscreen and took the pic within a sec. I bet everyone who complains about the camera are still using the stock app.

A bit off-topic..
yeah and sometimes it is. i switch between bugless beast and aokp most of the time. on bugless beast now set to the stock 1200mhz on the interactive governor. 36+ hours of battery life
Once I discovered AOKP, I've been on it ever since. I'm curious though, what's the screen-on time with one of those 36+ hour charges? If it's high enough, I'll give BB a shot.

arcoms

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I just got the Sprint Galaxy Nexus and am 100% certain it was the best decision. No need for any manufacturer skins slowing down the device OR the update cycle. Plus, I am over companies like Motorola "determining" whether or not a high end device that is less than a year old will even RECEIVE a major update, let alone WHEN (looking right at you, Motorola Photon 4G).

I was also in the same boat as the OG Poster. I didn't want to use my upgrade because wanted to have the option to use it later if I decided to. Found my GNexus on Amazon from a trusted vendor, in almost mint condition, for $300. The extra $100 was worth it to have the freedom and convenience of not being tied to a contract. And even if something WAS wrong with my device, I have insurance.

tcapote

Geek Freak
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I am using the VZW GNEX, rooted, rom'd (CM9) and kernel'd. I just LOVE this phone! My wife is getting the VZW GS III, I am a bit jealous, but each time I updated my GNEX or customize it, I am just a happy camper and don't see what else I would want to use. Great performance, great battery, will be the first to get Jelly Bean etc...Love it!

jamestbrewer

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
My first Android phone was a Nexus One. I never had a phone treat me so well. The only real reason I upgraded was due to the very limited storage space on it. Yeah, some things started to slow down (Tiny Tower for example), but I had no issues with it whatsoever.

I kept my N1 running up until a month ago. I've had a Sensation sitting in the box for over 6 months because I loved using the N1 so much. Not sure if you're aware of it (you probably are), but sometime in the last year I discovered SD-EXT which basically mounted a partition on your sd card so the system reads it like internal memory. That solved my biggest issue with the N1 which was internal storage. I basically set 1gb from my 8gb sd card as internal storage. If youre not aware of it try S2E, which is a dead simple way to enable SD-EXT on the N1. Make a backup as it wipes your sd card. Hope you still have your N1 because this breathes new life into it. If my N1 ever breaks, i'll grab a new one off ebay

I only started using the sensation as my daily driver since cm9 nightlies were released for it, but I still use my N1 as a backup/music player/in car navi and more as i slowly add more apps to the sensation

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It amazes me to see people asking for a "switch" from Samsung or HTC to switch off their skins (TW/Sense). The roms they use are no different than a custom rom from Cyanogen or anyone else - their rom has it compiled into the rom and you would have to flash a whole different rom to get rid of TW or Sense - isn't ever going to happen. The best you can get is for the OEMs to tone down their changes to stock (haven't used Sense 4.0 or TW 5.0 or stock Android so can't give any opinion of those particular things). Personally, I've been using a Dinc 2 with Gingerbread 2.3.5 with Sense 2.1 and works fine for me. Not sure what my next phone will be (although I ordered a GS3 with my last subsidized upgrade at VZW to preserve unlimited - not sure if I can deal with the size - love my Dinc 2).

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
As I type this on my Google Chromebook, I am selling everything tech and going all Google. I used to sit on the edge of my seat waiting for the next android phone to come out. I have almost had all of them....then I got a Galaxy Nexus. It is such a good balance of everything. I sold my laptop and I'm now living in the cloud. I sold my Xoom and will buy the Nexus 7 when it comes out. I love Google.

Ironzey

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I would like to point out that as great as they are AOKP and Cyanogenmod are NOT stock. They are close but not quite stock. They have been enhanced with more features and control. My suggestion is if you like a true stock experience (something that can be somewhat lacking) go with a Nexus, if you want an AOKP/Cyanogenmod expirience then just go with a popular phone (GSIII) and wait for them to support it, that way you get brag-worthy hardware and the AOKP/Cyanogenmod experience.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i was tired of fighting skins, bloat, conflicting software/hardware with Android (Hard buttons with ICS WTF?), and slow updates. hence - it was G-Nex for me. and it will always be Nexus for me if i can help it. i'm a minimalist - and i like a pure, unadulterated, non-bastardized, uncluttered, non-bogged down experience.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
As I type this on my Google Chromebook, I am selling everything tech and going all Google. I used to sit on the edge of my seat waiting for the next android phone to come out. I have almost had all of them....then I got a Galaxy Nexus. It is such a good balance of everything. I sold my laptop and I'm now living in the cloud. I sold my Xoom and will buy the Nexus 7 when it comes out. I love Google.

i would consider this but i need true MS Office (Excel and Word). i have some huge spreadsheets that require true Excel. there may be other obstacles - but this is a big one that comes to mind.

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
i would consider this but i need true MS Office (Excel and Word). i have some huge spreadsheets that require true Excel. there may be other obstacles - but this is a big one that comes to mind.

There are a number of free and paid apps that will allow full operation (new,edit,send,copy/paste,etc) under Android. no app gives you complete Microsoft functions. And Microsoft office is coming soon to Android

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

There are a number of free and paid apps that will allow full operation (new,edit,send,copy/paste,etc) under Android. no app gives you complete Microsoft functions. And Microsoft office is coming soon to Android

yes i already have the paid version of Documents To Go. it's really good but it does not support web queries and certain formulas and formats. i hope that if and when MS Office for Android arrives it will support these functions.

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Try OfficeSuite 6 or QuickOffice, which Google just acquired. I use all of these but dislike Documents to Go. Amazon appstore frequently discounts OfficeSuite 6 - I use it the most, especially for my professional office

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Aren't you guys frustrated by the weak WiFi range of the Sprint GNex? And weak GPS? And weak 3G signal? I certainly was and had to ditch it even tho I really enjoyed stock ICS on what I felt was a great device. The difference in all 3 areas as well as battery life moving to EVO LTE has been amazing after several weeks of use. The GNex was great, but I couldn't deal with those Sammy radios by any means.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech