Seriously considering Nexus devices from now on

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Don't waste your upgrade on a galaxy nexus, better to use craigslist and get one nib for around 300 maybe 350...

Why spend 200 now and get locked into older tech when by the end of the year 5 manuafactors might come out with new models?

Plus the camera sucks....

Android phone loss value pretty quickly, search craigslist in your area and get one locally.

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
not seeing this. what exactly did you experience? was it actual performance experience or were you looking at illustrative bars (or lack thereof)?

Completely active performance. I do realize that the GNex in general shows fewer bars, but this was straight up performance. It had much worse WiFi range in my own house than my prior EVO 4G, our other EVO Design, or my EVO LTE. The 3G signal was not acceptable in places where I need a connection during work or even in my house. I couldnt make calls where I was used to or can now. The GPS pickup was much, much slower.

I know some people really love the GNex and I also liked it a lot, but in daily use it was a no go for me. Take a look at the GNex forums for sprint and verizon to see that I am not alone. The Sammy radios for the GNex, the Nexus S and the Epic 4G are sub par. And the EVO LTE has been better than I expected.

Both good, but I wouldn't trade after giving each a fair shake.

Sent via EVO LTE

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Don't waste your upgrade on a galaxy nexus, better to use craigslist and get one nib for around 300 maybe 350...

Why spend 200 now and get locked into older tech when by the end of the year 5 manuafactors might come out with new models?

Plus the camera sucks....

Android phone loss value pretty quickly, search craigslist in your area and get one locally.

dumb comment. that could be said about any technology - "newer" is always coming right around the corner.

in fact - Nexus is the best choice given the concern because it has the highest probability of getting updated to the new OS version over all other Android phones. who do you think will get Jelly Bean first?

there's lots of Android phones - but there's only one Nexus.

but this point has already been beaten to death ad infinitum so you should already know it by now.

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
dumb comment. that could be said about any technology - "newer" is always coming right around the corner.

in fact - Nexus is the best choice given the concern because it has the highest probability of getting updated to the new OS version over all other Android phones. who do you think will get Jelly Bean first?

there's lots of Android phones - but there's only one Nexus.

but this point has already been beaten to death ad infinitum so you should already know it by now.

Agree. If anything, you preserve value by getting a Nexus since it would receive more updates, and earlier. I just needed better radio performance.

Sent via EVO LTE

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Aren't you guys frustrated by the weak WiFi range of the Sprint GNex? And weak GPS? And weak 3G signal? I certainly was and had to ditch it even tho I really enjoyed stock ICS on what I felt was a great device. The difference in all 3 areas as well as battery life moving to EVO LTE has been amazing after several weeks of use. The GNex was great, but I couldn't deal with those Sammy radios by any means.

I will second the comment about weak WiFi range (no issues with GPS or the 3G - besides sprint's sucky 3G coverage across the board anyway)
I swapped my EVO 3D for the GNex a week ago - and found that the WiFi signal on the GNex is horrible compared to the EVO 3D. If I'm standing right next to the router, I have full strength. But in the adjacent room (where my EVO 3D continues to get full strength), the GNex drops to almost zero signal (and occasionally will drop the signal altogether). I have my EVO 3D with me, so it was an easy comparison.

Also, based on the past week's observations, Battery life on the GNex is about 70% (or so) of what my EVO 3D would provide (similar usage).

Having said that, do I regret moving to the GNex? Hell no! :)

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I will second the comment about weak WiFi range (no issues with GPS or the 3G - besides sprint's sucky 3G coverage across the board anyway)
I swapped my EVO 3D for the GNex a week ago - and found that the WiFi signal on the GNex is horrible compared to the EVO 3D. If I'm standing right next to the router, I have full strength. But in the adjacent room (where my EVO 3D continues to get full strength), the GNex drops to almost zero signal (and occasionally will drop the signal altogether). I have my EVO 3D with me, so it was an easy comparison.

Also, based on the past week's observations, Battery life on the GNex is about 70% (or so) of what my EVO 3D would provide (similar usage).

I'd bet that you would love the EVO LTE. It really does many things very well with only a few minuses.

Sent via EVO LTE

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site

I concur.
I don't Wi-Fi very often but when I do, I have not found any problem with finding, keeping and using the signal.
Normal Sprint 3G, but I am used to it.
Looking forward to the 4G LTE which will be on soon.
Vanilla ICS, no bloat, top of the list for updates.
Best phone I ever had.
Just my $.02

Mav. :cool:

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Nexus 6.

Last edited:

MbTurner1977

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have the Epic 4G (Galaxy S OG) I love my phone but have a hard time using sprints network. I got this phone because of the 4G But 4G never came to Phoenix. The GSM Nexus would be my option. 1) You get hspa+ speeds, which from everything I have heard give you pretty good data speeds. You also don't have to worry about the drain that LTE Causes on your battery if you are in an area that will get it when and if it ever launches 2) You can also choice between AT&T and T-Mobile. I would go with T-Mobile. 3) Your not locked into another 2 year contract. I do agree with you though I think its Nexus devices for me from here on. I would wait until the next Nexus comes out though. You might have the option of choosing your manufacturer and hopefully the camera will be better.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums

mwara244

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I can't wait for my dream device the Motorola Nexus. Been praying for this for two years. All Motorola hardware and nothing but pure Android software with no skin or bloat, well minimal bloat if on verizon. I hope when Google makes the next batch of Nexus they'll include cdma devices. I read that they will give 5 companies the Nexus brand project, we have to assume Motorola is one of them.
Have they announced the other 4 companies for the Nexus builds? I assume Moto, HTC, and samsung are in the top three.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I can't wait for my dream device the Motorola Nexus. Been praying for this for two years. All Motorola hardware and nothing but pure Android software with no skin or bloat, well minimal bloat if on verizon. I hope when Google makes the next batch of Nexus they'll include cdma devices. I read that they will give 5 companies the Nexus brand project, we have to assume Motorola is one of them.
Have they announced the other 4 companies for the Nexus builds? I assume Moto, HTC, and samsung are in the top three.

If they can put an actual screen on it and fix the design I'm all for it!

Sent from my TARDIS

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
If they can put an actual screen on it and fix the design I'm all for it!

Sent from my TARDIS

And not create an oddly balanced design like the Razr...and find a high end screen to put on it..and not use any Moto software, etc, etc. They always fall short somehow, but at least they use good radios.

Sent via EVO LTE

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I concur.
I don't Wi-Fi very often but when I do, I have not found any problem with finding, keeping and using the signal.
Normal Sprint 3G, but I am used to it.
Looking forward to the 4G LTE which will be on soon.
Vanilla ICS, no bloat, top of the list for updates.
Best phone I ever had.
Just my $.02

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Nexus 6.

"Mav doesn't often use WiFi...but when he does...he prefers GNexus. Stay thirsty my friends."

Sent via EVO LTE

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
And not create an oddly balanced design like the Razr...and find a high end screen to put on it..and not use any Moto software, etc, etc. They always fall short somehow, but at least they use good radios.

Sent via EVO LTE

I have never thought the razr looked good. The corners freak me out, sort of like ye olde pine coffins.

And the screen is rubbish, relatively speaking.

But yeah, they have signal and massive batteries...

Sent from my TARDIS

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Try OfficeSuite 6 or QuickOffice, which Google just acquired. I use all of these but dislike Documents to Go. Amazon appstore frequently discounts OfficeSuite 6 - I use it the most, especially for my professional office

no App - Android or otherwise - can fully replace true Excel and Word on the desktop for me at the moment. i need password/encryption support, advanced formulas support, and web query support. not to mention - keeping all of the formatting intact.

an official full featured "Microsoft Office for Android" App Suite would be nice but i'm not sure we'll ever see it. Microsoft may feel it is against their best interest. but i'd probably pay up to $50 for it.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
"Mav doesn't often use WiFi...but when he does...he prefers the GNexus. Stay thirsty my friends."

Thanks for the prop. :D

A few more:

If he were to punch you in the face, you'd have to fight off the urge to thank him.

Sharks have a week dedicated to him.

His personality is so magnetic, he is unable to carry credit cards.

His business card simply says, "I'll call you."

And of course,

His cell phone always has bars, even when riding the subway.

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Well I just went out and got the Nexus this past Saturday. I'm just not waiting anymore. The phone is awesome! I know theres going to be rumored several new Nexus devices coming this fall. I may just pick those up too or just stick with this one. All in all I do not regret my purchase.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Well I just went out and got the Nexus this past Saturday. I'm just not waiting anymore. The phone is awesome! I know theres going to be rumored several new Nexus devices coming this fall. I may just pick those up too or just stick with this one. All in all I do not regret my purchase.

the OG EVO was a great, revolutionary phone for its time and it still holds up well today but IMO the G-Nex blows it away. my OG EVO sits in a drawer in case i need a backup phone. every once in a while i'll play with it but it feels really cramped, constricted, and dated compared to the G-Nex because of the smaller display, fixed capacitive buttons, Sense skin, and bloat.

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
no App - Android or otherwise - can fully replace true Excel and Word on the desktop for me at the moment. i need password/encryption support, advanced formulas support, and web query support. not to mention - keeping all of the formatting intact.

an official full featured "Microsoft Office for Android" App Suite would be nice but i'm not sure we'll ever see it. Microsoft may feel it is against their best interest. but i'd probably pay up to $50 for it.

Yeah, I agree. I would also pay a good price for it, since I use it alot for what I do. But I won't leave Android any time soon, having come to it from Windows 6.5 (HTC Touchpro 2). I love my GNex!!

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the prop. :D

A few more:

If he were to punch you in the face, you'd have to fight off the urge to thank him.

Sharks have a week dedicated to him.

His personality is so magnetic, he is unable to carry credit cards.

His business card simply says, "I'll call you."

And of course,

His cell phone always has bars, even when riding the subway.

The iPhone 5 leaked blurry images of him.

Sent via EVO LTE