Seriously considering Nexus devices from now on

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I been doing alot of thinking. I think I'm going to go with Nexus devices from here on out. The new EVO is a beast and does have better specs but theres something about the Galaxy Nexus that keeps drawing me in lol. The thing is, I been out of contract from Sprint for about 2 weeks now. I'm still rocking my OG EVO and really want a new phone. I'm wondering if I should get the Sprint Nexus and be locked down on another 2 year contract or just wait till the fall for the new Nexus devices? The GSM from the playstore would be an option as well but I love having my unlimited data because I'm a power user. Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks.

Huff

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I've got the Nexus S 4G and love it. Thinking of getting my wife the Galaxy Nexus. The ICS update for the S 4G was delayed many months so updates on the Nexus aren't always first as some claim. Still, its been a great phone.

eps1lon3

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Waiting for the next nexus literally means waiting about a whole year til its available.

I'd say go for the gnex now, and upgrade to the next-next nexus.

Reactions: Orion78

Daniel C

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
All of my Android phones have been Nexus phones. You won't regret it. Also, it sure makes it easier to keep track of what interesting phones are out there when the Nexus phones are all you'll seriously consider. =]

Reactions: Orion78

sedracer

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
Had my gnex since march. It has the slowest processor, by far the worst camera, and the screen is barely readable in bright sunlight. Despite those flaws it's the best phone I've used by far. Curved shape feels great in the hand, awesome battery life, and if you didn't see the play store it will be the first phone with jelly bean. Even if the sprint version doesn't get the update there will be a rom shortly after the gsm version gets it.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Had my gnex since march. It has the slowest processor, by far the worst camera, and the screen is barely readable in bright sunlight. Despite those flaws it's the best phone I've used by far. Curved shape feels great in the hand, awesome battery life, and if you didn't see the play store it will be the first phone with jelly bean. Even if the sprint version doesn't get the update there will be a rom shortly after the gsm version gets it.

You know you can overclock it to 1650, right? :) I mean it might cause ill effects, but with a proper kernel this thing gets nutty.

hotdoggnboi

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I bought the GSM Galaxy Nexus from the Google Play Store. best money ever spent. I am on the unlimited talk, text and data (1st 250mb of 3g) with Walmart Family Mobile. no contract is the best way to go and then you can customize your data plan to your useage. I use manily wifi everywhere I go, so I never go over my 250mb a month (yet). :D

Lunar

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus phones are fantastic, but at this point I'd almost say wait at least until next week. If the rumors are true then the next Nexus will at least be announced. If that happens then you will have an idea as to how long the wait will be.

Also, the Nexus has the slowest CPU, but it's definitely no slouch. I bought mine from the Play Store and I love the freedom of no contract.

soldierblade

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Depending on where you live you could get a straight Talk sim for $20 and opt for a $45 unlimited everything prepaid plan that operates on AT&T hspa+. Works pretty well in my neck of the woods (N/E Louisiana).

AndroidArmageddon

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I had my non Galaxy Nexus S and I thought that phone was the best thing until the Galaxy Nexus launched, buy I didn't see a point upgrading for basically the same ice cream on a faster larger phone. I'm now using the OneX and its a fantastic device. There are some things I like about stock Android vs. Sense but the same can be said about the OneX and its raw power, LTE and camera. Not to mention the screen. I would recommend waiting to see what gets announced at Google IO NEXT WEEK and see what's up the sleeves for Android 4.1 The Galaxy Nexus is almost discontinued here and the next Nexus launch will probably happen a lot sooner than later.

Last edited:

Instrumentals

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I went from team iphone to blackberry and when I switched to Android I did a little bit of homework on what was out there and decided on the Nexus S and I never looked back, went to the GNex about a month ago and im even happier, stock is the way to go.

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm going to go for it. I really need a new phone. I'll rock the Galaxy Nexus until the next one comes this fall. Then I'll pass the GN to my GF or something. Yeah whatever I decide, its Nexus phones for now on.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm going to go for it. I really need a new phone. I'll rock the Galaxy Nexus until the next one comes this fall. Then I'll pass the GN to my GF or something. Yeah whatever I decide, its Nexus phones for now on.

Every Nexus phone so far has been released at the very end or very beginning of the year, with Sprint versions coming a few months later. You've got plenty of time to enjoy the GN before the Nexus 4 is released.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

jspidey

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
My first Android phone was a Nexus One. I never had a phone treat me so well. The only real reason I upgraded was due to the very limited storage space on it. Yeah, some things started to slow down (Tiny Tower for example), but I had no issues with it whatsoever.

I have the One X now. Awesome phone! Obviously better than the N1 spec-wise but the fact that is so locked down is annoying as hell! I cannot believe the hoops the devs had to go through to get the thing rooted and boot loader unlock. Not to mention there's still no source code for it yet (AT&T version). Because of this, I'm most likely going to be sticking with Nexus phones as well, I just hope my wife doesn't mind the extra cost ;)

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

NYC Dude

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I been doing alot of thinking. I think I'm going to go with Nexus devices from here on out. The new EVO is a beast and does have better specs but theres something about the Galaxy Nexus that keeps drawing me in lol. The thing is, I been out of contract from Sprint for about 2 weeks now. I'm still rocking my OG EVO and really want a new phone. I'm wondering if I should get the Sprint Nexus and be locked down on another 2 year contract or just wait till the fall for the new Nexus devices? The GSM from the playstore would be an option as well but I love having my unlimited data because I'm a power user. Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks.

I went this route believing it was for the best. Unfortunately I got burned. My device was bought from Newegg before Google began selling the Galaxy Nexus through the play store (Doesn't make sense I had to import a phone when Google is a American company). So no warranty and apparently it is a known wide spread issue. Speaking with a Google support rep confirmed it. Here is a link dating back all the way to Jan 1 and is still very active. The problem has not been fixed.

Issue 23789 - android - Galaxy Nexus Charging Issues - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

Plenty of other threads all over the internet with people having the same issues. Just do your research because sometimes things look better on paper than they actually are.

Crooke356

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I have the G-Nex on Vzw. I'm grandfathered in on unlimited data and will never be buying a subsidized phone again. I have the benefit of LTE and I am absolutely in love with this phone. Yea it has a slower processor speed but it is the smoothest phone I've owned. Had the razr for a few weeks and it was sluggish. With the ICS OTA being pushed as I type, maybe that will change. I have the HTC Rezound running Sense 4.0, and while it doesn't have the hardware Sense 4.0 was designed for, it runs amazingly smooth. But I want a stock, Apex Launcher experience. Well, not quite stock. I'm rooted and running a version of AOKP. The customized abilities on this phone are unparalleled! All my phones have been unlocked and rooted and I have never been able to do so much with a phone. My screen is amazing. AOKP offers the ability to add color, brightness and depth that the stock screen cannot touch. Being able to change my soft keys to any shape, color, symbol or txt is amazing. This phone is amazing. Yes, I may buy phones that are not a nexus device, but they will NOT be my daily runner. This is my first nexus device and it will not be my last. I would love a better camera, better battery but I would have to sacrifice so much. Not worth it, to me......BTW I've seen several articles saying Google is releasing 7 galaxy devices this year. With the G-Nex and the Asus Nexus 7 that makes 2....... 5 more? We'll see.

Last edited:

cody375

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
Better change your carrier if you want to get the next Nexus. I will bet anything that Verizon and Sprint will not receive another one.

krid

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Last month I switched from an OG Evo on Sprint to a Play Store Gnex on Straight Talk. I'm pretty happy with the gnex, but the big selling point is the money: $45/month vs. $80/month means I can buy a new $400 phone 2x/year (assuming I can sell the old one for $200) and still pay less than I was paying on Sprint. If one of the new Nexus phones looks good I can make the switch without having to fuss with a contract.

As for the experience, I'm a huge fan of stock. I was running Cyanogen 7.1 on the Evo for the last six months. I tried out the One X and the new Evo before I bought the gnex, and I was really put off by Sense (and don't get me started on Touchwhiz).