Official release of JB 4.1 source and/or OTA dates?

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know what day(s) in July Google said they'd be releasing the source code for/OTA for JB 4.1 to the general public? Or did they just give us a mid-July notice with no specific day announced?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
You don't think if one person knew there would already be a thread on it and everyone else would know? Pretty sure no day was announced as I haven't seen anything in the other threads about JB or on the news page.

Yeti89

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
It could be this Monday. But it also could be on Saturday. If not, then Sunday or Wednesday. If you have not received the update by these days, then it will happen on Thursday. Then perhaps on Tuesday.

Thanks for the heads up! :D

ajnevares

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
It could be this Monday. But it also could be on Saturday. If not, then Sunday or Wednesday. If you have not received the update by these days, then it will happen on Thursday. Then perhaps on Tuesday.

Damn, was hoping it be Friday

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know what day(s) in July Google said they'd be releasing the source code for/OTA for JB 4.1 to the general public? Or did they just give us a mid-July notice with no specific day announced?

Note that the OTA in July was probably only for the GSM version. Typically, updates for the CDMA phones are provided later (who knows - maybe google will work with carriers to get CDMA updates out the same day - but that is unlikely)

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Haven't heard anything official as to when it would be released but I do know they already have a JB ROM over at XDA.

Richard Devine

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
The GSM build will probably drop first. Maybe round the 19th if the rumored shipping dates for the Nexus 7 worldwide are to be believed.

CDMA will have to be pushed by Sprint though no? Meaning you're probably going to have to wait a bit longer I'm afraid

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
The GSM build will probably drop first. Maybe round the 19th if the rumored shipping dates for the Nexus 7 worldwide are to be believed.

CDMA will have to be pushed by Sprint though no? Meaning you're probably going to have to wait a bit longer I'm afraid

I'm guessing September for Sprint and October for Verizon

yellar

May 23, 2011
Visit site

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
What sux about that is every Galaxy Nexus is on the list except......the one for Sprint. I hope it gets added soon, I switched from Verizon and got a GNex because I got tired of waiting on the rezound to get it. Looks like I made another bad choice in devices.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I also left VZW because I was tired of waiting on the Bionic to get ICS (which it still doesn't have officially) and got the GNex on Sprint. If we don't get the update until September, I might switch to AT&T or T-Mobile and just buy the nexus from Google Play in the future.

yellar

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I also left VZW because I was tired of waiting on the Bionic to get ICS (which it still doesn't have officially) and got the GNex on Sprint. If we don't get the update until September, I might switch to AT&T or T-Mobile and just buy the nexus from Google Play in the future.

Yea I'm thinking the same thing except going with T-Mobile pre paid because at&t here is pretty horrible.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
What sux about that is every Galaxy Nexus is on the list except......the one for Sprint. I hope it gets added soon, I switched from Verizon and got a GNex because I got tired of waiting on the rezound to get it. Looks like I made another bad choice in devices.

from one of the responses at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-building/XBYeD-bhk1o

"As far as toroplus, the situation is unchanged: there are no plans to
support it as a target device for custom AOSP builds.

JBQ "

toroplus = Sprint's GNex

Bloody hell!

Edit: actual link - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/android-building/XBYeD-bhk1o/QMoqxhDJlk0J

Last edited:

yellar

May 23, 2011
Visit site
from one of the responses at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-building/XBYeD-bhk1o

"As far as toroplus, the situation is unchanged: there are no plans to
support it as a target device for custom AOSP builds.

JBQ "

toroplus = Sprint's GNex

Bloody hell!

Well I don't understand this at all. Sprint had the last nexus device and its on the AOSP list why in the hell isn't the Galaxy Nexus? Unless this changes reasonably soon I am definitely not ever buying another phone from a carrier. I hope something comes to light about why this is the case because I am sure this is the last thing the community expected. I think everyone expected the Verizon Galaxy Nexus to be the odd man out and you could have probably have gotten a lot of people to bet on that seeing how they are the only U.S. carrier that had the SG3 bootloader locked. Hopefully something comes up today about who is the culprit here.

yellar

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I tweeted to Samsung support to ask them about the sprint galaxy nexus and aosp and this is what I got

@SamsungSupport: @donnwon Hi! Unfortunately I cannot speculate on this info. If we hear anything about feature updates, we will tweet. Stay tuned. ^Sean

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Unless this changes reasonably soon I am definitely not ever buying another phone from a carrier.

Sadly, we don't have that option with Sprint/Verizon - will need to switch to a GSM carrier.

Good thing is that this is a Nexus - easiest one to root. So, if there is an unreasonable delay, it shouldn't be too hard to flash a JB (or later OS) ROM on.