Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 23 of 23
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mobile79
  • 2 Post By llfloyd79
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    jonathanm1978's Avatar
    Super-elite full-time dad

    Posts
    274 Posts
    ROM
    Me: WickedSens 4.1.1

    Default Couple of hours away from decision-time

    Well, I have been contemplating for a couple of weeks...was going to use some of my (feeble) savings account and go ahead and buy my $50 upgrade-early option, plus buy a phone...until today. Today...all that scraping together to save money just kinda went away, when I opened my mailbox to find a check from Blue Cross/Blue Shield for a refund on Dr copays...so $133.96 of my phone cost is covered now!!

    Now that I'm not just barely looking at having $150 to buy a phone, and I can (IF I SO CHOOSE) spend $220, I'm trying to decide between the Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus, and even the Evo 4G LTE...and I'm stuck.

    Gnex = 4.65" screen...gets updates faster...but a bit on the 'older' side, since it has been out for a little bit...

    Galaxy S3 = 4.8" screen, faster proc, but doesn't have removable storage I don't think...

    Evo 4G LTE = I dunno the size..haven't looked into it much lately since I saw that it doesn't multitask well...and I've almost ruled this phone out...

    Any last-minute pointers would be great...I'm leaving here around 2pm to head into the Sprint Store in Bham and purchase ONE of the phones listed above.
  2. #2  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,767 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: Couple of hours away from decision-time

    I would go GS III, it does have a card slot BTW. Depends though, the radios are weak on Verizon, see what others are saying about sprint
  3. #3  

    Default

    Go with the galaxy nexus unless you really need the extra space. How much gigs did you use on your old phone ? And are you a heavy gamer? Do you take a lot of pictures? If so then galaxy s3 is your choice.
    Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    jonathanm1978's Avatar
    Super-elite full-time dad

    Posts
    274 Posts
    ROM
    Me: WickedSens 4.1.1

    Default Re: Couple of hours away from decision-time

    Quote Originally Posted by icewater106 View Post
    Go with the galaxy nexus unless you really need the extra space. How much gigs did you use on your old phone ? And are you a heavy gamer? Do you take a lot of pictures? If so then galaxy s3 is your choice.
    Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums
    Right now I'm limited because I'm on an LG Optimus S with a 4gb SDcard, but using ext2SD or whatever it is to give me more app space...

    I don't game, at all..I do however use those little games like DrawSomething and Words W/friends on my Acer Iconia 10.1" tablet...nothing graphically intensive though..
    I do take pics of the kids and such with my Optimus..but I'm sure that the Gnex will have a good camera and produce good photos..and it has the front+rear cameras too I think..
  5. #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanm1978 View Post
    Right now I'm limited because I'm on an LG Optimus S with a 4gb SDcard, but using ext2SD or whatever it is to give me more app space...

    I don't game, at all..I do however use those little games like DrawSomething and Words W/friends on my Acer Iconia 10.1" tablet...nothing graphically intensive though..
    I do take pics of the kids and such with my Optimus..but I'm sure that the Gnex will have a good camera and produce good photos..and it has the front+rear cameras too I think..
    The galxy nexus and the galaxy s3 let's you use the whole internal storage for apps and yea the galaxy nexus camera is grea for regular pictures. The galaxy nexus speaker is lower the the galaxy s3 out of the box but you can downlod volume+. They both have front and rear cameras. If you like software then get the galaxy nexus, if you prefer hardware then get the galaxy s3

    Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    jonathanm1978's Avatar
    Super-elite full-time dad

    Posts
    274 Posts
    ROM
    Me: WickedSens 4.1.1

    Default

    Well, I went with a blue Sammy Galaxy S3. So far I'm still playing with all the new stuff and enjoying the speed difference. I hit restart on this and its about ten seconds to boot and ready to use... hit reboot on my Optimus S and it takes about thirty seconds to boot, another twenty for it to prepare the sd card

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
  7. #7  

    Default

    I was going thru the same thing....either picking the GNex or S3. Kept going back and forth lol. Finally decided on the blue S3. Glad I did too. Loving this phone.

    Sent from my Galaxy S3
  8. #8  
    mobile79's Avatar

    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

    Default Re: Couple of hours away from decision-time

    I got the S3 for me and the GNex for my wife. Love the S3, but in a way a bit jealous over her Nexus. I just can't put my finger on what it is, but I have to keep picking hers up and tinkering with it. Guess I've still got 12 days left if I want to swap my S3 for a Nexus. I'm thinking it might be Touch Wiz, compared to the simplicity of the pure Google experience. That's why I don't even consider the HTC devices...Sense is just too overly animated for my liking. TouchWiz isn't near as bad, but the UI on the Nexus just seems so much cleaner. I don't know....I can't ever make up my mind.
    llfloyd79 likes this.
  9. #9  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,767 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default

    I will agree sense 3.x was but Sense 4 is much better than tw

    Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Couple of hours away from decision-time

    Quote Originally Posted by utamb79 View Post
    I got the S3 for me and the GNex for my wife. Love the S3, but in a way a bit jealous over her Nexus. I just can't put my finger on what it is, but I have to keep picking hers up and tinkering with it. Guess I've still got 12 days left if I want to swap my S3 for a Nexus. I'm thinking it might be Touch Wiz, compared to the simplicity of the pure Google experience. That's why I don't even consider the HTC devices...Sense is just too overly animated for my liking. TouchWiz isn't near as bad, but the UI on the Nexus just seems so much cleaner. I don't know....I can't ever make up my mind.
    No matter which phone i choose, i always end up downloading a replacement home launcher like ADW Ex or Nova Prime since i am on ICS now.

    Dont really care for most of the stock home launchers by the manufacturers, the only one i can stand is Sense myself
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet



    If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!
  11. #11  
    jparker71's Avatar

    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

    Default

    I was also torn between the SIII and the Gnex. Went with the Gnex just because I've wanted a Nexus device for a while. The $44.99 I paid for it at Radio Shack didn't hurt none either.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Couple of hours away from decision-time

    good choice with the s3!! not a fan of the other 2 phones
  13. #13  

    Default

    I'm waiting for the new Galaxy Nexus that hopefully comes out in October, if Google stays on their current release schedule of a new phone every 11 months.

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
  14. #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jparker71 View Post
    I was also torn between the SIII and the Gnex. Went with the Gnex just because I've wanted a Nexus device for a while. The $44.99 I paid for it at Radio Shack didn't hurt none either.
    I think Amazon has the nexus for $.01

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Couple of hours away from decision-time

    I'm still torn....I just got the GS3 four days ago....but Im still thinking about that damn GNex lol. I love the GS3 but something about plain vanilla android that just keeps drawing me in. Sprint opens up in about an hour....Im soo thinking about exchanging this GS3 for a GNex. Man this is tough....
    mobile79 and JackG058 like this.
  16. #16  
    jparker71's Avatar

    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GiantJay View Post
    I think Amazon has the nexus for $.01
    That's for new line of service. It was $99.99 for an upgrade.
  17. #17  
    slag02's Avatar

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by llfloyd79 View Post
    I'm still torn....I just got the GS3 four days ago....but Im still thinking about that damn GNex lol. I love the GS3 but something about plain vanilla android that just keeps drawing me in. Sprint opens up in about an hour....Im soo thinking about exchanging this GS3 for a GNex. Man this is tough....
    I went to a Samsung event for the gs3, but all it did was confirm that the GNex was the way to go.

    I upgraded from a photon and ditched wimax for the GNex with no lte yet...

    But, I am running jelly bean, and will get the latest os before most others and that is what I really wanted

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  18. #18  
    sunriseshell's Avatar

    Posts
    70 Posts
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF Paradigm 2.x

    Default Re: Couple of hours away from decision-time

    Quote Originally Posted by jparker71 View Post
    I was also torn between the SIII and the Gnex. Went with the Gnex just because I've wanted a Nexus device for a while. The $44.99 I paid for it at Radio Shack didn't hurt none either.
    Man I knew I should have stopped by there! Got my Gnex on Saturday at the Sprint store, $99.00 (really $149.99 -$50.00 mail-in rebate).
  19. #19  

    Default

    I checked out the S3 at the store and a friend got it he loves his but then he doesn't root or anything. The gnex has less specs but more customization. I'd really base it off of that since they are both good phones to begin with.

    Sent from far far away....
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Couple of hours away from decision-time

    I almost bought it at the sprint store Saturday , but got cold feet. The demo was showing a poor signal while the S3 and evo lte had full 4G bars. I messed with all phones for about 20 min and just couldn't get the GN to show a descent comparable signal. After all I've read about signal issues with this phone, I rather save some money until I can afford a Evo
  21. #21  

    Default

    Don't base off the signal from the bars you see on top of the notification bar because the gnex reads it different and it may show less bars but it can be the same signal more or less

    Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Couple of hours away from decision-time

    I thought of that too. But there was no signal. If I turned on wifi, the cell signal would work and would occasionally jump from 4g to wifi. If I turned wifi off, there would be no cell signal. Then I did wifi off and CDMA only setting (no 4g) and a descent 3G signal would be present. What do you guys make of that behavior. It spooked me, since this would be a 2 yr. commitment.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  
    jonathanm1978's Avatar
    Super-elite full-time dad

    Posts
    274 Posts
    ROM
    Me: WickedSens 4.1.1

    Default Re: Couple of hours away from decision-time

    Quote Originally Posted by elfuego View Post
    I thought of that too. But there was no signal. If I turned on wifi, the cell signal would work and would occasionally jump from 4g to wifi. If I turned wifi off, there would be no cell signal. Then I did wifi off and CDMA only setting (no 4g) and a descent 3G signal would be present. What do you guys make of that behavior. It spooked me, since this would be a 2 yr. commitment.
    Well, since Sprint has made all sorts of announcements about 4G being currently under construction, I'd say that it means very little as long as 3G is acceptable. At this point, in my area, I'm looking at the 3G speeds and not even considering 4G at all because it's not available yet. And when it is, then I'll base my next phone off how well 4G picks up on this Samsung GS3 in the next 2 years (19 months).
    Turning down a phone because of spotty 4G on Sprint right now, at this point in time, is not a very good decision...they just announced a bunch of cities to roll-out and work on around mid-July ...I think those were among the very first cities to even get some of the new 4G (also knowing they are going to turn off those old iDen towers...)

Posting Permissions