Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bushido Brown
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 3G connection speeds.. 135 kbps.. really?

Um.. yeah. Is there any way to boost 3G speeds? This is slower than dial-up. Is LTE the solution to poor 3G speeds across the US?

Default Re: 3G connection speeds.. 135 kbps.. really?

That sounds about right....lol

I haven't heard of a way to boost 3G speeds though.
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa

Quote Originally Posted by amokunad View Post
    Um.. yeah. Is there any way to boost 3G speeds? This is slower than dial-up. Is LTE the solution to poor 3G speeds across the US?
    This is what doesn't make sense to me. The speedtest app says that download speeds are under 100kb yet I can still play hd youtube videos. They don't load instantly but you can see the bar loading and its not that slow.

The only way to "boost" your 3G speeds is to root and to install a Verizon PRL. This will force your phone to roam on Verizon's (faster) network instead of using Sprint's. But Sprint's policy says that excessive roaming is grounds for terminating your services, so you'd be risking Sprint booting you out the door.

I personally haven't done this, but there are people that do. (Some people do it to get out of their contract with no ETF.) If you search over at XDA, there are instructions.

A much easier option is to wait patiently for Sprint's network updates to be completed.

ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by jean15paul View Post
    A much easier option is to wait patiently for Sprint's network updates to be completed.
    I waited. Then I got tired of waiting and went back to Verizon. I had those same network issues this time last year. You're pretty much SOL until Sprint turns on LTE in your area.
    Back to Big Red. Sprint was tooooo slow
    Click my Twitter | Galaxy Note 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bushido Brown View Post
    I waited. Then I got tired of waiting and went back to Verizon. I had those same network issues this time last year. You're pretty much SOL until Sprint turns on LTE in your area.
    So you left unlimited data in favor of a 2gb cap?

Quote Originally Posted by TauntingBull View Post
    Unlimited data doesn't really matter when you have to wait hours to download something. I use the Prl hack and man what a difference! My download speed was a best of 1.3 mbps. With sprint maybe on a good day .6 mbps.
    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Switch carriers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717

ROM
    Wicked JB V1.2/KT747

Call Sprint, complain about signal issues and get them to send you an AirRave device. Its what I did, works wonders

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Devices:

Galaxy S3 Wicked Sensation JellyBean V 1.2/kt747 TW JB Kernal
    Xoom FE rooted... need modding bad!!! Damn Moto!

Quote Originally Posted by MotoPho View Post
    Call Sprint, complain about signal issues and get them to send you an AirRave device. Its what I did, works wonders

That's a in house solution only. Pretty sure he meant outside.

Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,610 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Sprint isn't trully unlimited use to much data you'll b throttled. Not sure I could handle going any slower then 56k.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

ROM
    Wicked JB V1.2/KT747

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    Sprint isn't trully unlimited use to much data you'll b throttled. Not sure I could handle going any slower then 56k.

Before I got my GSIII, I used as much as 28gigs and was never throttled. I miss those days lol

Devices:

Galaxy S3 Wicked Sensation JellyBean V 1.2/kt747 TW JB Kernal
    Xoom FE rooted... need modding bad!!! Damn Moto!

Global Posts
    751 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post

No you won't. Sprint is unlimited.

ROM
    None

You mean unlimited dialup? It was like being the 2 billionaires trapped on Gilligan's island, all the money in the world, but no way to spend it. In this case, all the data in the world, but no incentive to actually use it because its slow as all hell.

and actually, at the time I left, I took advantage of the double data promo Verizon had going on, I paid for 5 and got 10. I'm now sharing 12 gigs between 2 lines. Cost roughly the same amount of cash I paid to browse the web at 56k like speeds on my Photon.
    Back to Big Red. Sprint was tooooo slow
    Click my Twitter | Galaxy Note 2
    Thanked by 2:
    jrsharp70 likes this.

I got a zte warp 3G from Boost and a get 494 kbps on download 1067kbps for upload
    and my ping is 110 i think that is ok for my area near the airport .you may want to do your test outside

Quote Originally Posted by Bushido Brown View Post
    You mean unlimited dialup? It was like being the 2 billionaires trapped on Gilligan's island, all the money in the world, but no way to spend it. In this case, all the data in the world, but no incentive to actually use it because its slow as all hell.

and actually, at the time I left, I took advantage of the double data promo Verizon had going on, I paid for 5 and got 10. I'm now sharing 12 gigs between 2 lines. Cost roughly the same amount of cash I paid to browse the web at 56k like speeds on my Photon.
    Be fair now... My 3g speeds are up to 320 kbps. That's almost 1/3 of a mb/s connection.

Though, to be fair to you, my house is at the bottom of a hill, and when I walk around the neighborhood, i get around 31 kbps, so I understand.