New Upgrade DESTROYS BATTERY LIFE

GeneralTula

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Before the update 2 days ago I would get 8-10hes of use EASY. Last 2 days my battery is overheating and dying before I reach 5 hrs. And I mean FAST. I restarted my iPhone to kill any open apps and lost 14%!!!! WTF SPRINT. Fix this now!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

GeneralTula

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
PS...that 22% on Voice calls was a 10 phone call while walking in the mall. I've dropped for 27% to 13% just posting this.

Yoshiaka13

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I changed some settings and fixed my battery drain issue.. killed the gps, and made sure my email apps weren't checking constantly and other apps that check for updates like Facebook weren't set to check at all... that helped my battery life BIG time. Basically set the phone so it has no reason to talk to the internet without you doing it by yourself.

TropicalSammich

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
That sucks, I've experienced no change in battery since the OTA, and I've made no adjustments to my settings.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I changed some settings and fixed my battery drain issue.. killed the gps, and made sure my email apps weren't checking constantly and other apps that check for updates like Facebook weren't set to check at all... that helped my battery life BIG time. Basically set the phone so it has no reason to talk to the internet without you doing it by yourself.

1. i now keep GPS on because i don't think it makes much of a difference. GPS will only be used briefly if an App or the OS needs it (ex Maps). it's not a constant drain.
2. i have my Gmails on PUSH. i think Gmail is pretty battery efficient because it's not constantly polling. i would think the same for MS Exchange ActiveSync.
3. Facebook - i don't use it but would agree that if you have Apps like FB, Twitter, News, etc. constantly buzzing it will kill the battery.
4. Auto-Brightness - i turned this off and turned it down to lowest setting.
5. WIFI - i leave this on and connect to WIFI in my house because it's fast.

Reactions: JackG058

GeneralTula

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
OK so I calibrated my battery. & I mean I kept taking it out and turning it on until that thing was completely dead. So far so good. Regular use seems alright, bit I'm still having MAJOR problems with speed in South Florida (Less than 1mbps). Sprint, if you're reading or even care, get LTE up & running down here. You're selling hardware that doesn't work and when you talk to someone in store its like pissing in the wind. It feels good to let lose but you're just getting a really stupid outcome. Btw I posted a pic of my battery life after calibration.

TropicalSammich

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
OK so I calibrated my battery. & I mean I kept taking it out and turning it on until that thing was completely dead. So far so good. Regular use seems alright, bit I'm still having MAJOR problems with speed in South Florida (Less than 1mbps). Sprint, if you're reading or even care, get LTE up & running down here. You're selling hardware that doesn't work and when you talk to someone in store its like pissing in the wind. It feels good to let lose but you're just getting a really stupid outcome. Btw I posted a pic of my battery life after calibration.

I have one bar at my house, just ran a speed test, getting 50kbps up and down over in SW Florida....

... LTE can't come soon enough :-(

45fe38d8-dcf1-a1b4.jpg

Yoshiaka13

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Actually what most phones including this one has is "assisted"gps.. which means it uses the towers to triangulate where you are. And you would be shocked how often our phones check in our locations to the mother ship. Watch your left corner sometimes on your phone and you will see a target looking icon randomly pop up from time to time. That's from what i have noticed Google maps checking in thanks to Google services. I've come to that conclusion from watching my running apps section of settings one afternoon when that icon kept popping up and i noticed my battery life draining faster then normal. Every time that icon would pop up Google maps automatically popped up. Now in a good signal area that normally is no big deal. However if your in an area they are still doing tower upgrades then your phone wastes juice trying to get signal. I turn off my gps location services until i need them for things like Google maps or weather bug. Then turn my gps off when i am done with those apps. My battery life stays at an acceptable drain.

Reactions: JackG058

Danf

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I considered juice defender but decided I could pretty much do most of what it does myself. at home I keep 3G off and only connect Wifi when I need to.

When I am out and about I keep 3G off unless I need it. So far today with moderate use I am 7 hours unplugged with 76% batter life left.

*Note I don't youtube, twitter, facebook, etc, so your mileage may vary.

jeff1974w

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I just got my phone July 27th and didnt get a whole lot of use in before the update, but i can say this...

-the battery doesnt last long...about 5-6 hrs at best. my 1950mAh battery on the E4GT i had would last all day w/ heavy use and heavy pandora streaming.

-phone gets really hot when the battery drops to about 40% and it starts to drop quick (all apps closed)

-when charging for about a hour or so, when you check the battery it still shows the full time off battery, im not sure if it only resets when 100% is reached???

yes i have LTE off, gps , sync and autobright is on

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I just got my phone July 27th and didnt get a whole lot of use in before the update, but i can say this...

-the battery doesnt last long...about 5-6 hrs at best. my 1950mAh battery on the E4GT i had would last all day w/ heavy use and heavy pandora streaming.

-phone gets really hot when the battery drops to about 40% and it starts to drop quick (all apps closed)

-when charging for about a hour or so, when you check the battery it still shows the full time off battery, im not sure if it only resets when 100% is reached???

yes i have LTE off, gps , sync and autobright is on

Yikes. I'm still considering getting the Nexus, but after reading these stories I may stay with my E4GT. Who knows. Isn't the screen the big battery killer though?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Sprint is coming out with their own extended battery bundle.
It is a 2100 mAh battery with rear cover.
Last I heard was that it will be available 8/19.

Starting that day, I will be looking for one of those for myself.
If anyone sees it, post up a pic (and a price).

Mav. :cool:

Last edited:

jeff1974w

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Yikes. I'm still considering getting the Nexus, but after reading these stories I may stay with my E4GT. Who knows. Isn't the screen the big battery killer though?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

the galaxy nexus is way better than the E4GT....HANDS DOWN!!!

the battery life is my only complaint with it, but the E4GT problems were endless

tyguy829

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Something is going on though. Even your most recent screenshot that shows you at 58% after 3hr 30min is still whack. I'm easily getting 12-16 hrs on average.
Do this for me. Download betterbatterystats from here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1240843&d=1344068311

This will tell you exactly what is using your battery. The battery stuff built into android's settings is useless compared to this. Hopefully you're rooted, but if not, everything should work except the alarms function (which could actually be very useful in your case). So, if you are rooted/are willing to root, do it. Otherwise, charge your phone to 100%, and let it run down to where its almost dead. (Like 10% or something). I would probably open betterbatterystats at least once before starting to make sure its services get started and everything.

Once your battery has run down, open the app, and make sure you are on "Partial WakeLocks" and "Since Unplugged". Take a screenshot and post it. Then switch the "Partial Wakelocks" to "Alarms" (again, pretty sure you have to be rooted, but I'd try it regardless). If stuff shows up, screenshot that too and post your results. That should help us narrow it down

JackG058

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
the galaxy nexus is way better than the E4GT....HANDS DOWN!!!

the battery life is my only complaint with it, but the E4GT problems were endless

I'm on the GNex now, but I still have my E4GT. I never had problems with the E4GT, so just curious what issues you had? The only reason I switched is because I wanted the experience of a pure Google phone with faster updates (realizing that being on Sprint means not fast enough updates).

Even with a slightly smaller battery, the E4GT for me fairs much better in battery life. Still, I love this GNex so don't plan on switching back. And even though I have the spare battery charger/battery combo by Samsung, I will probably buy the Sprint extended battery that is mentioned in this thread. I've thought about the bigger extended battery options, but I'm not ready to add that bulky thickness at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret