Google wallet

Lolanerd

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
So I got a new galaxy nexus today and it comes with the $50 prepaid card in google wallet. I haven't activated google wallet yet. I'm planning on rooting the phone, getting jb roms and all that stuff but I was wondering if I'll still be able to redeem the google wallet money if I root, rom, etc. Also, if I activate google wallet beforehand, will the money stay after I've rooted my phone?

cokeblack

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
So I got a new galaxy nexus today and it comes with the $50 prepaid card in google wallet. I haven't activated google wallet yet. I'm planning on rooting the phone, getting jb roms and all that stuff but I was wondering if I'll still be able to redeem the google wallet money if I root, rom, etc. Also, if I activate google wallet beforehand, will the money stay after I've rooted my phone?

Yes to all of your questions.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Lolanerd

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Um ... I don't think you're going to get the $50 unless they are running a new promotion.

The $50 that came with the Sprint Galaxy Nexus was only for people who activated their Google Wallet accounts between 4/22/12 and 5/22/12. See link: Activate a Sprint Galaxy Nexus you'll get $50 in your Google Wallet instead of the usual $10 | Android Central If you just got your phone and are just activating your Wallet account then you've missed that promotion. (I'm in the same boat; I got my Sprint GNex at the end of June.)

You will still get the $10 that everyone gets when they activate a Google Wallet account, but the promotion for the $50 is over.

To answer you other questions:
If you root your phone you will get a warning within the Wallet app that says you're using an unsupported device. Wallet will still work fine. That's just Google way of covering their butts since rooted phones are less secure. I activated my Wallet account before I rooted, but I'm pretty sure it works either way.

Once piece of advice. I've seen it recommended in more than one place that you need to add a step to your flashing process if you're using Wallet. Everytime before you wipe, you need to delete Wallet's app data. I've read that if you don't do this you can get a secure element error after you flash. This also seems to be a problem even with a simple unrooted factory reset. It's a security feature. See article: http://www.droid-life.com/2012/05/2...let-forever-learn-how-to-safeguard-your-info/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37