Any word on Official Jelly Bean?

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Anyone have a clue when Official Jelly Bean will arrive for the Galaxy Nexus? A Sprint rep said it was coming, but ya know...that's kind of obvious. Anyone know when?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

shibby

May 10, 2011
Visit site
i would imagine it wont be anytime soon but you never know.after my contracts up im going back to gsm screw this update when sprint decides to push it crap.

Reactions: TnA206

Danf

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Probably one of the reasons the carriers drag their feet on providing updates to the latest and greatest is they are for more interested in selling you a NEW phone with the newest Android version than providing your existing device with it.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
well i went through all this on my ns4g should of learned my lesson then.

Dude wtf is u talking bout??? U for know that my ns4g was the FIRST CDMA phone to get upgraded to ics via ota that's a good job IMO and we have 100% working jb roms out sprint is doin a good job

Sent from my Nexus S 4g rockin jellybean using Tapatalk 2

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Seeing how Sprint has burned Google too many times, JBQ (Works on maintaining Android/ Google Open Source Project) has stated in the past they probably won't be supporting the Sprint GNex in AOSP so its leaves basically everything in Sprint hands.

Lets hope Sprint doesn't let us down on this update, otherwise you want Jelly Bean your gonna have to root and run custom ROMs to get it.

shibby

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Dude wtf is u talking bout??? U for know that my ns4g was the FIRST CDMA phone to get upgraded to ics via ota that's a good job IMO and we have 100% working jb roms out sprint is doin a good job

Sent from my Nexus S 4g rockin jellybean using Tapatalk 2

yes but AFTER all the gsm phones had it so whats your point just like all the gsm galaxy nexus have jelly bean and sprint and Verizon don't

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Seeing how Sprint has burned Google too many times, JBQ (Works on maintaining Android/ Google Open Source Project) has stated in the past they probably won't be supporting the Sprint GNex in AOSP so its leaves basically everything in Sprint hands.

Lets hope Sprint doesn't let us down on this update, otherwise you want Jelly Bean your gonna have to root and run custom ROMs to get it.

My understanding is this only means that you'll never be able to build JB from source for the Sprint GNex, and has no effect on whether JB is coming as an OTA. CDMA Nexii phones have never been able to be built from source, so nothing has changes in that regard.

The real story here is that Verizon worked out licensing with Google to allow the Verizon GNex to get ASOP support. Similarly Sprint worked out licensing with Google to allow the Nexus S 4G to be built from source.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the whole "JBQ said the Sprint GNex won't get ASOP support" story has been blown WAY out of proportion. No one ever expected any of the CDMA Nexii to get ASOP support.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I find it unlikely that they would get the NS4G an update, and not be able to license for a G-Nex. Verizon had it first, and still hasn't gotten an OTA, I see no reason that we won't get it shortly after VZW. Besides, there are still phones (cough droid 4 cough) that are JUST getting ICS... At least we can unlock and rom it with the help of OUR developers.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
My understanding is this only means that you'll never be able to build JB from source for the Sprint GNex, and has no effect on whether JB is coming as an OTA. CDMA Nexii phones have never been able to be built from source, so nothing has changes in that regard.

The real story here is that Verizon worked out licensing with Google to allow the Verizon GNex to get ASOP support. Similarly Sprint worked out licensing with Google to allow the Nexus S 4G to be built from source.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the whole "JBQ said the Sprint GNex won't get ASOP support" story has been blown WAY out of proportion. No one ever expected any of the CDMA Nexii to get ASOP support.

Your correct on the building JB from source. Maybe some day by the time the Sprint GNex is nearing its EOL, Sprint will throw out the binaries (proprietary files) we need to build from source.

I just see Sprint dragging its feet on JB like it did for ICS on the NS4G... I happen to know and talk with quite a few of the current devs building JB ROMs for the Sprint GNex and they all seem to share the same feeling that we "MIGHT" see official JB on the Sprint GNex this year if were lucky.... Maybe they know something we don't.. ?