Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jeff1974w
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Talking It amazes me....

It amazes me that when a new OS like Jelly Bean comes out it will take OEMs like HTC or Samsung 6 plus months to get it on their phones if it even gets its...but the DEVS get them out quick, even though it may contain some bugs they get them squashed really quickly.

so with that said I just want to thank the DEVS out there...XDA...ACS...and all the others.

GREAT WORK
    dakota.breeden likes this.

Default Re: It amazes me....

Lets look at it this way. Grandma gets a whole new OS pushed to the phone that she's taken a year to learn how to use. Now something isn't working correctly. She's going to call the support line. Since it's a bug, they can't help her over the phone, and can only say "wait for the fix to be pushed to you in a couple days". Grandma gets frustrated about it. "Really quickly" isn't quick enough when you don't know enough about your phone to work around the issue. Grandma isn't going to think "let me google this error and see what I can do about it myself".
    Fix comes, something else stops working. Repeat process. It costs lots of $$ to field those support calls. More money spent on support is less money spent on the network upgrades, less features allowed (data caps!), or higher bills.

There is a LOT of Quality control that goes into an official carrier release of the software. It may not seem it, but a vast majority of users just know they have an Android or iPhone. Some don't even know that their Android isn't an "iPhone". Much the same way that every mp3 player is known as an iPod.

THAT SAID:
    Our developers are awesome that they can get a nearly perfect OS out to these devices. Their target users know enough to work around, or understand that things may not all work right off the top.
    Sprint Galaxy Nexus [stock for now]
    BB 8130, iPhone 4 8g, iPhone 3g 16gb, Toshiba e800, Palm Tungsten T
    [retired]Epic 4g, BB8330, BB 9670, Samsung Intercept, Katana DLX, Sanyo 8400, HTC Wizard, MPX220, and many others...

What ratsttam said and one other thing. ROM developers often use propritiary pieces of code that they don't have the right to use. Basically they often "steal" pieces of code from other sources. Since they aren't making any money and aren't affecting device sales, no one cares. If HTC or Samsung stole code like that, they would be able to get stuff out faster, but they would get sued in the process. So after a major OS release, they have to build a lot of code from scratch and/or work out licensing agreements.

For example, look at the issue where Sprint won't provide Google their propritariy binaries for the Sprint GNex. That's delaying the official JB release for the GNex. Do you think the ROM developers over at XDA care? They just swipe those binaries from the stock ICS release and put them in their JB ROMs.

It takes longer when you have to do things the "right" way.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

all im saying is that the devs get a os built in a timely manner and the oems take a lot of time

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1974w View Post
    all im saying is that the devs get a os built in a timely manner and the oems take a lot of time
    It's true that the hackers can put out code quickly since they don't care if it bricks someone's phone or causes dozens of bugs. They can not be held responsible. Why this surprises you is the real mystery :o

to be fair going from gb to ics was not a simple upgrade. Going from ics to jb should tho. I mean look there is already a leak jb Rom for the galaxy s3 and Samsung is saying that the note and galaxy s2 should have jb by end of year.

Even cyanogen just recently got cm9 stable at about the same time manufactures are starting to release their ics builds and cm9 is more stock android than the manufactures. I'm sure touchwiz and sense add more time to getting upgrades out.

So yes getting ics took awhile but it wasn't a simple upgrade. Many things changed in the code from gb to ics. Jb is built from the same code base as ics but improved upon and should come to devices faster than ics did

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums