Getting ready to unlock/root.

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Well, I am officially fed up with Sprint. So I'm going to root, but I have some questions for this WONDERFUL community here.
1: I'm looking for an AOSP Jelly Bean Rom, basically stock Android. Any suggestions?
2: I'm not too sure about unlocking. Is there an easy tool for this, like a 1click method? Example, Odin for Samsung devices.
3: I cannot lose my Google Music. I've had syncing issues, (where after I would root my GSII, I would load up Music. But apparently it can only be on 10 devices at a time. I deactivated the duplicates, but I only have 3 spots left for new devices) Will Google Authenticator solve this issue?

I know it's a lot, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks :D:D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

DIPNINANOUT

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Rooting is not that hard, I'm not sure if the steps are the same as my nexus s 4G but I know it wasn't difficult to do for me and I'm new to rooting. Just read carefully and follow steps as they are given. I usually go to YouTube. I normally have one guy I go through. His YouTube channel was terminated over BS so you'll have to search him on twitter and ask for the website. His name is zedomax.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

DIPNINANOUT

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Know for a fact aokp is a good from for the nexus I had one on my nexus s 4g. They're is a lot of customizations on that from. Out of all rooms even the crossbones from wasn't as good as aokp. You really have to test them out for yourself and make sure you back up your data with clockwork mod. Also I recommend installing kernel they assign to rooms because it'll keep your screen from changing colors lol.

DIPNINANOUT

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
On your last issue I'm sure if you send Google a complaint enough times it'll get resolved.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Well, I am officially fed up with Sprint. So I'm going to root, but I have some questions for this WONDERFUL community here.
1: I'm looking for an AOSP Jelly Bean Rom, basically stock Android. Any suggestions?
I use this ROM: (ROM)JellyBean.JR003L.ROM.by.MADDOGGIN(ROM)-UPDATED(8/18/2012) - xda-developers

2: I'm not too sure about unlocking. Is there an easy tool for this, like a 1click method? Example, Odin for Samsung devices.
This tool will do everything for you: [GNex TOOLKIT V7.8] Drivers, Backup, Unlock, Root, CWM, Flash, Mods + MORE [SPRINT] - xda-developers

3: I cannot lose my Google Music. I've had syncing issues, (where after I would root my GSII, I would load up Music. But apparently it can only be on 10 devices at a time. I deactivated the duplicates, but I only have 3 spots left for new devices) Will Google Authenticator solve this issue?
Dont know about this one, sorry.

I know it's a lot, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks :D:D

Reactions: jimrx7

GranPaSmurf

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I am glad to find this thread as I have just decided to pull the trigger on rooting the device. So far the phone is stock. I just installed a screen launcher I like from 'Apex' in the Play Store. It needs root to make use of some of the features, so I thought I would go just that far for now.
I am really lusting after Jelly Beans. Every day I flip/flop back and forth on whether to wait for Sprint Nexus to get upgrade or root & install ROM. I want it to stay as stock JB as possible if I do so.
I guess I have a couple of questions at this point: if I just root or superuser the phone, is the warranty gone. If so, is it hard to go back? Next, if I root, then install a JB ROM, THEN if an OTA update happens, will I get it? Am I out of the Sprint mainstream forever?
Thanks, and sorry for the Newbie level of questions.

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I am glad to find this thread as I have just decided to pull the trigger on rooting the device. So far the phone is stock. I just installed a screen launcher I like from 'Apex' in the Play Store. It needs root to make use of some of the features, so I thought I would go just that far for now.
I am really lusting after Jelly Beans. Every day I flip/flop back and forth on whether to wait for Sprint Nexus to get upgrade or root & install ROM. I want it to stay as stock JB as possible if I do so.
I guess I have a couple of questions at this point: if I just root or superuser the phone, is the warranty gone. If so, is it hard to go back? Next, if I root, then install a JB ROM, THEN if an OTA update happens, will I get it? Am I out of the Sprint mainstream forever?
Thanks, and sorry for the Newbie level of questions.

Rooting does void the warranty, but my understanding is that it is easy to return to stock. I have no clue how of coarse.

When you install a JB ROM, you are out of the mainstream. You will not get any OTAs.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
AOKP isn't stock JB, it has customizations (not that that's a bad thing). If you want a truly stock JB experience I'd recommend "Are You Jellin" (It's what I'm running.) [ACS][ROM][4.1.1] Stock Sprint 4.1 AreYouJellinMS3 - Shabby Penguin/DreamsForgotten - xda-developers

Rooting is really easy on the Nexus. I'd recommend doing it manually instead of using a 1-click toolkit. It takes a little more research, but it also teaches you how your phone work and what you're really doing to it. That being said, the WUG toolkit that was linked above is probably the best one. It also has a return to stock function that is really useful if you need to return to stock and don't have nandroid.

DIPNINANOUT

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Well first off if you root you can always go back. Second rooting requires superuser simply because you have to have permission to use some apps. This does not hurt the phone at all as long as you follow the necessary steps.

Reactions: GranPaSmurf

GranPaSmurf

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I unlocked and rooted my Galaxy Nexus using Galaxy Nexus ToolKit. Like Spruce1969 I am a bit unclear about reversing this if I choose.
Which begs my next question. If Sprint comes through with Jelly Beans, will I get an OTA update? or even an alert that it is available?
I am guessing I need to watch forums and news to learn that JB is being pushed out by Sprint, then reverse the unlock/root and allow the stock JB to install.
Do I have this right?

RyanK63

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Here is a how to video, explain it all step by step. There is a few things you need to do before you actually root but this guy explains it all.ROM wise there is tons out there, I'm using the Team BAKED BlackBean2 (Based of AOSP) and I love it. Still has the stock feel, very snappy, but also has a lot of things you can customize if you decide you want to.

Team BAKED

Last edited:

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone running mmuzzy's Jelly Bean ROM? I'm having issues playing movies from the Google Play Store.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01