OTA update error

cowgirl66

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Hello, I have searched all afternoon on the internet for some help with an error I'm getting. I have gotten 4 or 5 OTA updates that all end up going to screen with android laying down with red exclamation point. I pushed on power and volume up and then apply update from /cache, it starts installing and then stop and I get E: Error in tmp/sideload/package.zip (status 7). I am on 4.0.4. From my many searches I think there might be something wrong with my recovery image but my phone is not rooted or unlocked. I did buy it from ebay so I'm wondering if maybe they rooted and then unrooted before they sent the phone to me. Nothing was mentioned in the add about the phone being rooted. I have rooted phones before so I'm not a complete noob but I just can't seem to figure this out. First off what is the OTA since I know it's not Jelly Bean and I'm running 4.0.4. I will contact the seller but I still need to get this fixed. I really appreciate any help. Thanks

cowgirl66

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Something I just thought of. I don't ever update my google apps, other than gmail and maps, because I don't use them. That couldn't be causing a problem could it?

Citrik

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I've been having the same issue. My phone was rooted with a custom recovery when I bought it. I unrooted it and applied the stock recovery back with Wug's toolkit, yet I still get that error whenever I try to update OTA. I'm not too concerned with it though, as I believe this update is minimal, and gets rid of universal search. Now, if I can't get Jellybean OTA, then I'll be upset.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't have the link off the top of my head at the moment, but I believe ShabbyPenguin has package available for the Sprint GNex with the stock factory images.

You may indeed have a missing/broke stock recovery. Locate these factory images and if I remember correctly he had it in both Odin form or via Fastboot command to restore to complete stock. If you find them you can try using the Fastboot command method to just flash the recovery.img

Basically.. Get the FASTBOOT after downloading and installing the Android SDK package on your computer. Once you have SDK on your computer, download the "platform-tools" which has ADB, FASTBOOT and other vital apps needed.

Then after locating the stock "recovery.img" you can place that file in your "C://android-sdk/platform-tools/" directory.
Open a command prompt from the "C://android-sdk/platform-tools/" directory

Boot into your bootloader, and connect via USB cable to your computer.

Type the following from the command prompt.

Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

It will only take a few seconds to flash the stock recovery and then you can reboot and see if your stock recovery/OTA update functions again.

cowgirl66

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Okay, got as far as booting into bootloader and typing in command in the platform-tools directory and hit enter and it says waiting on device. Do I have to do anything on the phone or should it automatically flash the recovery?

cowgirl66

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Well, I got the Jelly Bean OTA today. Downloaded it and tried to install and it went to the android laying down with red exclamation point. I pushed power button and volume up. I got this (Error: tmp/sideload/package.zip Status 7). This really sucks. I thought I had fixed my problem. I might just go to Sprint and play dumb. I'm sure they will want to just give me a refurbished phone though. Huge sad face. :':)':)'(

Emo_Star

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded and began to install & got an error message.
E: failed verification whole file signature
E: failed verification signature
Installation aborted
What?

Last edited:

cowgirl66

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I did try to manual update several times through CWM and I still got a status 7 error. This is so maddening.
Error: /sdcad/update.zip
Status 7
So, then I thought maybe I put the update in the wrong place. I do not have an sdcard folder on my phone. When I plug in to my computer I click on Galaxy Nexus and then Internal storage and that is where I put the update.zip. Can someone tell me if this is wrong? When CWM boots up I can select the update fine it just goes to status 7 error every time I try it. :-\

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
That is the correct placement of the update.zip. Internet storage/sdcard.

What is the current status of your devices before attempting this? Must be on latest 4.0.4 update (FG01) before using this zip. Any earlier versions of Android it won't work.

cowgirl66

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
That might be my problem. Looks like I'm on FD02. Can you point me to the right link to download the FG01 update. Thanks a million.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

cowgirl66

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I was never able to apply the last 4.0.4(FG01) OTA update because of some problem so now I am not have to flash Jelly Bean through CWM. I have been looking online for a link to download the update so I can hopefully fix this but I am not having any luck. I'm wondering if I fastboot to stock ( http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-nexus/206954-guide-return-stock.html ) if this will fix my problem. My baseband says FC12 and my build number ends in FD02. Which one should I use from the linked page? I'm ready to through this phone out the window right now.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I was never able to apply the last 4.0.4(FG01) OTA update because of some problem so now I am not have to flash Jelly Bean through CWM. I have been looking online for a link to download the update so I can hopefully fix this but I am not having any luck. I'm wondering if I fastboot to stock ( http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-nexus/206954-guide-return-stock.html ) if this will fix my problem. My baseband says FC12 and my build number ends in FD02. Which one should I use from the linked page? I'm ready to through this phone out the window right now.

Use the latest FH05 Jelly Bean Fast boot images or the FH05 Stock tar for Odin.

Yes this is the same as the actual official update too, your just manually applying it.

FWIW, the FC12 baseband is an older modem/radio which was never updated on your device. That COULD be one of the reasons why your having problems. Either way using the new fastboot or Odin option will get you official JB

cowgirl66

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so I use fastboot. I'm assumeing that I place each image in platform tools file and then fastboot each on in order of how the are listed? So, I didn't need to use CWM to flash Jelly Bean?

mohamed saheer

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I have searched all afternoon on the internet for some help with an error I'm getting. I have gotten 4 or 5 OTA updates that all end up going to screen with android laying down with red exclamation point. I pushed on power and volume up and then apply update from /cache, it starts installing and then stop and I get E: Error in tmp/sideload/package.zip (status 7). I am on 4.0.4. From my many searches I think there might be something wrong with my recovery image but my phone is not rooted or unlocked. I did buy it from ebay so I'm wondering if maybe they rooted and then unrooted before they sent the phone to me. Nothing was mentioned in the add about the phone being rooted. I have rooted phones before so I'm not a complete noob but I just can't seem to figure this out. First off what is the OTA since I know it's not Jelly Bean and I'm running 4.0.4. I will contact the seller but I still need to get this fixed. I really appreciate any help. Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish