Sprint galaxy nexus unroot help!

ARuss

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi I just purchased this phone online and its rooted I'm pretty sure because the boot animation is not the Google default animation. The phone had supersu on it and give me the option to unroot. I tapped unroot and of said it was unrooted but when I still restart my phone the animation is still the rooted one. Also today I got a notification saying that my ROM has an update available. Its called. ( goo.im ) is there anyway I can get everything back to stock without having a computer?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1347578287498.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347578287498.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 91

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi I just purchased this phone online and its rooted I'm pretty sure because the boot animation is not the Google default animation. The phone had supersu on it and give me the option to unroot. I tapped unroot and of said it was unrooted but when I still restart my phone the animation is still the rooted one. Also today I got a notification saying that my ROM has an update available. Its called. ( goo.im ) is there anyway I can get everything back to stock without having a computer?

Return to stock/unroot without a computer. No.. You need a computer to either run a One Click "Return to Stock/Unroot" app or by using a computer to flash the stock factory images to the device which would return it to stock and remove all signs of rooting.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
When you say boot animation do you mean the unlock icon at boot? or the X Nexus icon which appears??

because if its X then thats the new boot animation for Jelly Bean. or if its entirly different boot animation then it could be a custom rom since you also got a notification from goo.in. if its custom rom then unrooting wont remove the boot logo YOU NEED TO FACTORY RESTORE TO STOCK ROM

I Strongly recommend factory restore your phone and lock the boot loader since the previous owner could have installed any malicious app in the phone.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Can you post a screenshot of your about phone screen? (Settings --> about phone) Specifically the last 4 lines: Version, Baseband, Kernel, and Build. From that we should be able to tell if you're running the stock ROM or something custom.

Also, I agree with @still1 above. The safe thing to do is to go back to stock and relock the bootloader, even if you plan to unlock it again.

Finally, this post probably should have been posted in the "Sprint Galaxy Nexus" forum and not the "Google Galaxy Nexus" forum. This forum is for the GSM version. I'm not trying to be a d***, just trying to help.

ARuss

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Its no problem! This is my first time posting here so I wasn't sure Also I appreciate the help. I'm new to all of this....I was previously an iOS user. Here is the screenshot of the information you needed. How and where would I get a stock 4.1 for this phone? I don't want this phone rooted at all. I just would like this phone to be strictly stock. Thanks!!!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1347667955267.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347667955267.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 94

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Its no problem! This is my first time posting here so I wasn't sure Also I appreciate the help. I'm new to all of this....I was previously an iOS user. Here is the screenshot of the information you needed. How and where would I get a stock 4.1 for this phone? I don't want this phone rooted at all. I just would like this phone to be strictly stock. Thanks!!!

Yep it's rooted with EOS nightlies, running ICS radio/modem and ROM built off Jelly bean

gagb1967

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I would Odin back to stock ics, and then get the ota for jelly bean. You should be ok after that

Last edited:

crankyd00d

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the light! I hope you don't think Android "doesn't work" after this happened to you, this is certainly not a good experience for any new Android user, what a dick move to sell a rooted/custom ROMed to someone new to Android :-(

ARuss

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I only have access to a Mac. This really sucks...I can't even use some apps like Google wallet because on this phone being rooted...WEAK (>_<)

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I only have access to a Mac. This really sucks...I can't even use some apps like Google wallet because on this phone being rooted...WEAK (>_<)

This is a rough situation. I feel for you.

You know if you paid for shipping, I'd be willing to unroot for you. Full disclosure, I've only been at this rooting and flashing thing for a few months.

StealthTH

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Do you have access to a friends PC? Generally only takes 30 min to accomplish...maybe treat the friend to dinner or something for use age of their PC.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Timeout. You can't flash the tar files through Odin on a mac, but I'm pretty sure that you can flash the img files through fastboot on a mac.

Can someone with experience with using fastboot on a mac please give this guy some help?

ARuss

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Any word on this program for Mac? Lol. This phone is running like s!$% :(

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Using a mac, fastboot boot would be your best bet.

First go here to get your Android SDK setup (mac version).

From there you need to install the SDK as instructed. Next you need to follow the instructions on this page from the Android SDK.
Adding Platforms and Packages | Android Developers

The only thing you really want is to install looking at the screenshot provided there is under TOOLS. Check and install the Android SDK Platform-Tools/

This will give your "Fastboot" which is what you need to restore back to stock using the fastboot images.

From there once you have that accomplished you will be left with a folder in your computer something like

android-sdk-mac_x86

Inside that folder you should now have a directory called Platform-Tools. Inside there is the Fastboot app which you will need later.

Go as instructed to the http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-nexus/206954-guide-return-stock.html page.

Second post will have the FASTBOOT images. For stock Jelly Bean you want FH05, the first on the list... There is 6 files you need to download, be patient waiting on them to download, it make take a while but they will download... System.img being the biggest one of the bunch...

Once that is complete you will take all those files and place them inside your android-sdk-mac_x86/platform-tools/ folder.

Now you need to boot into your bootloader. Shut down the device, then press and hold Volume Up+Down+Power to enter your bootloader.

Next connect your device via USB to your computer. Hopefully they will communicate/connect...

Follow these instructions in this post below to flash/install those files...

You will need to open a command prompt on your computer inside of that platform-tools folder on your computer.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-nexus/206954-guide-return-stock.html#post2140153

Need more help, problems, report back... Note: I'm not a mac user but the process is very similar to what we do in Windows with fastboot.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
If you want to get to fastboot quick and easy on a Mac:

1. Download this package.
  2. Unzip that package, place the unzipped folder in your "home" directory (e.g., for me, it'd be /Users/dmmarck/r3-superboot).
  3. Put any and all fastbootable stuff in that folder as well (saves you a trip, cd'ing, etc.)--e.g., the images linked above in Paul's post.
  4. Put your phone in fastboot mode (plug her in, turn her off, hold down volume UP, volume DOWN, and POWER simultaneously). This is also known as the "bootloader."
  5. Open up a terminal and follow the Return to Stock instructions/order. Again, make sure all image files (".img") are in the r3 folder. Also, you'll see most fastboot commands beginning with simply "fastboot," e.g.
    Code:
    fastboot flash radio radio.img
    On the Mac, this should be corrected. Thus, it will be
    Code:
    ./fastboot-mac flash radio radio.img

Let me know if you'd like any help :).