1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is the Galaxy Nexus LTE a reliable phone? My second one is crashing too!

I need advice from the collective wisdom of this forumís members. I have exchanged my Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE once and the second device is crashing too. 3 different stores (Iím traveling) say that this is not normal but since Iíve already exchanged it once theyíre telling me that they want a tech to examine the device before exchanging.

The situation:

On Monday I bought a Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE. Pretty much right away it was crashing and rebooting many times per day. Battery life was horrible, it would run down to 60% after 2 hours of playing pre-downloaded music/podcasts. Then it would take 3-4 hours to charge back up.

I exchanged it on Wednesday. The replacement consumes and charges the battery at a normal rate but it crashes too. Just not as often-- itís crashing about once or twice a day.

My old LG Optimus S almost never crashed. That phone ran the Sprint provided Android for a month until I rooted it and installed one of the more stable custom ROMs. Virtually no trouble there.

Details and troubleshooting:

When I figured out that the second phone crashed too I went back to another store and they re-flashed the OS from a laptop. The guy claimed that sometimes the OTA OS updates result in a messed up OS and that installing the latest OS (4.1.1) from a PC was cleaner. (plausible, but I wouldnít know.)

I went to the third store (remember, Iím traveling) close to closing time yesterday and was told that since I have already done one exchange that they didnít want to do another. (I can understand why.) The guy wanted to test the device but they didnít have time. I might go back today.

Youíre probably suspecting some app that Iíve installed. Unfortunately, nothing jumps out at me as weird except for one app. Anyway, here are the ďnormalĒ apps which have been present during all of the reboots:

* Google Voice
    * Google Authenticator
    * Calwidget
    * Seekdroid
    * Dropbox
    * KeepassDroid

And finally, the weird one:

* SleepTime - Alarm Clock.

SleepTime-Alarm Clock supposedly estimates your sleep efficiency by watching the movement of your mattress all night. Obviously, it uses the motion sensor for 8 hour straight. The first phone got extremely hot while using it. The second phone does not. However, I wonder if 8 continuous hours of motion sensor readings is stressful for the phone.

Iíve stopped using the app but havenít uninstalled it yet.

So my amateur theory (Theory #1) is that Iíve cooked some chip on both phones by using this app. Reasonable?

Theory #2 is that I have a defective accessory (one of my chargers or my car audio tape adapter) which is zapping the phone thus causing hardware failure. Store #2 thought that this was very unlikely.

So, is it something Iíve done, have I had bad luck, or is the Galaxy Nexus a bad phone?

Default Re: Is the Galaxy Nexus LTE a reliable phone? My second one is crashing too!

What are you doing to make it crash or reboot? Mine almost never reboots, and yeah battery life is pretty bad on the Gnex
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Is the Galaxy Nexus LTE a reliable phone? My second one is crashing too!

Quote Originally Posted by ajonesma View Post
    What are you doing to make it crash or reboot? ...
    Yesterday morning I was switching back and forth between Chrome and Maps. Maps stopped responding, I did a Send Report, waited some more then Force Close. Within a minute I turned off the screen, tried to turn it back on, it took a few seconds to respond to the power button, then it rebooted.

The day before I think I was using Chrome and the phone.

Last night I installed and ran Fast Reboot (which is supposed to reset some system services, not really reboot).

I assume you're on the latest version of Google Chrome? Have you tried a hard reset? Resetting to factory settings, but be sure the auto-restore option is not checked.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yup, latest Chrome. I haven't tried resetting that way. Excellent idea. I'll try now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

My GNex hasn't crashed once since I've had it. I think 1 of ur apps is the suspect. It could be the 8 hours of motion sensing.

I've had mine for three weeks and it hasn't crashed yet. I noticed my battery got much better after the first week and a half of use...could just be me though

Some people don't understand that all androids all good ng to drain atop believing TV. First turn of Bluetooth wifi and GPS if your not using it drains it. Also turn off vibrations and turn down brightness. Now the crashing issue is obviously a bad batch. Mine works fine. O yeah turn off lte if your not in the select cities for it. My does not crash. I called sprint's customer service and got two extended batteries

The extended batteries are free u only pay shipping and handling. You also get a back door

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is the Galaxy Nexus LTE a reliable phone? My second one is crashing too!-uploadfromtaptalk1349057052320.jpg  

Proof download app. Drippler for galaxy nexus

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is the Galaxy Nexus LTE a reliable phone? My second one is crashing too!-uploadfromtaptalk1349057126813.jpg  

When phone screen off battery lasts long. I've went jogging and its lasted all day

About 7 hours

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I tried ajonesma's suggestion of the hard reset and not auto-restoring settings. It crashed twice more today.

I'm now convinced that either I've had the bad luck of getting two bad devices or I've accidentally toasted both by using SleepTime. I'll try to convince the the store exchange this one. Otherwise I may have to get an iPhone.

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

LAST UPDATE: After some argument with the Sprint store they finally allowed me to exchange the phone again. I kinda understand their suspicion but did not appreciate being treated like a crook.

Anyway, this third phone is rock solid. I am quite happy!

Quote Originally Posted by guymontag View Post
    LAST UPDATE: After some argument with the Sprint store they finally allowed me to exchange the phone again. I kinda understand their suspicion but did not appreciate being treated like a crook.

Anyway, this third phone is rock solid. I am quite happy!
    Glad to hear it. Figured you just ran into some bad devices. It really is an excellent phone. Enjoy yourself with it now that your getting the true user experience.