Free WiFi tether for stock Jelly Bean?

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Not everyone is technically sound enough to be able to figure this out on their own - that's why a lot of folks log onto user forums like androidcentral - to get help from 'experts'. Thankfully, most experts are more than willing to share their knowledge, or point the folks to another post that outlines the process.

Some 'experts' aren't - they must have been born that way - nobody taught them anything. Right after birth, they learnt a bunch of stuff and just tried everything. They found all resources they needed on their own, with just a brief outline of steps thrown at them. They were building custom ROMs when other non-experts the same age were beginning to crawl!

</s>

@ the folks who asked for step by step, hopefully, some other helpful folks will chime in.

nysos3

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
There is no "for dummies". You either understand how to do it or you need to learn a bunch of stuff before you try. All the resources you need you can find on your own. You need to decompile the framework and edit the strings in one of the xmls to remove the provision checks for tether, recompile, then replace the original framework in your system partition.

In his defense he gave enough information to find out how to do it, and he probably didn't mention specifics cause he didn't want to be asked questions. Using my google-fu and what he's said...It wasn't hard to find out what he meant.

Get your framework-res.apk. (I used ES File Explorer and enabled root mode to copy mine to the sdcard and transfered it to my PC)
Back it up.
Decompile it. (APKTools. Google it.)
Once it's done decompiling go to res/values/arrays.xml and change
Code:
<string-array name="config_mobile_hotspot_provision_app">
    <item>com.samsung.spg</item>
    <item>com.samsung.spg.NewSPGActivity</item>
</string-array>
to
Code:
<array name="config_mobile_hotspot_provision_app" />

Recompile.
Copy it over.
Change the permissions (chmod) to what they should be. (Google it)
If the phone freezes wait 2-3 minutes and go into safemode (Google it)
Or just pull out the battery.
This completely bypasses any wifi hotspot entitlement checks and lets you activate the built-in AP with no error message!

credit: Devs: Here is how to bypass native tethering entitlement check. Works on VZW or ATT - xda-developers

Whatever Sprint did to the Galaxy S3, even after doing this (My ROM had it done already, as it turns out...>.>) it still didn't work for me on JB 4.1

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I'm holding off on the JB update for fear of loosing FoxFi usage.
  1. Can anyone confirm/deny if FoxFi will work on JB unrooted?
  2. Has anyone tried this method to get FoxFi to work again?
  3. Does this widget still work on JB?
I bought myself, er um, my kids bought me a refurb Nexus for Christmas. I want to update to JB (and get rid of the constant pop up messages) but I NEED tethering. Can't seem to get FoxFi bluetooth to work & I tried using OG but the speed sucks and it blocks many sites & scripts.
Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

pauljbenedict

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I just spent a few hours getting my:

Sprint Galaxy Nexus 4.1.1 Build: JRO03U working with Wifi Tether.

Here's How I did it.

Rooted the phone using the Galaxy Nexus Toolkit:
[GNex TOOLKIT V10.1] Drivers, Backup, Unlock, Root, CWM, Flash, Mods + MORE [SPRINT] - xda-developers

This software is really nice. I backed all the apps up (including system apps) and then restored after the boot loader / root fix. This saved me a ton of time.

Next, installed wifi tether from the website (Sprint blocks the direct download in Google Play):
http://android-wifi-tether.googlecode.com/files/wifi_tether_v3_1-beta14.apk

Newest version is on the homepage:
android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

Then I changed the settings to:
Device Profile: Samsung Galaxy Nexus (CDMA/LTE)
Setup-Method: Netd-Ndc (master)
Wifi-driver reload: enabled

This formula worked for my phone. Initially, I would activate the tethering, but the SSID would not appear on my laptop.

I hope this helps!

commonplace

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
This formula worked for my phone. Initially, I would activate the tethering, but the SSID would not appear on my laptop.

So how did you get the SSID to ever show up? I thought maybe I just had to wait it out, but so far it hasn't shown up on anything (laptop, tablet). Thanks! I feel like I'm close but it doesn't work.

/Kevin

antmailster

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I have Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus running 4.2.1 JOP40D with bootloader unlocked and rooted (supersu) (on stock rom overlay?) using Galaxy Nexus Toolkit as described in pauljbenedict post. I have the problem too where SSID will not show up on other devices (Windows 7 laptop or Nexus 7).

Any ideas? There seem to be a lot of wifi tether for root user releases and in each release different options. I've played around with multiple releases and various settings with no luck.

Jeff Garza

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I have to use PDANet 3.5 on my GS2 and Pdanet Tablet on my Transformer Prime. You start up Pdanet on the phone. It starts Foxfi. Select Bluetooth. Then go to the tablet and start Pdanet Tablet. I was lost until I found this combo

The above steps does work with PDANet and Jelly Bean on cell phone. I have a Droid 4, Verizon basic data plan, and a Galaxy 2 Tablet. Click later when tablet insists a WiFi connection is necessary and prompt goes away from then on. - Thanks.

xlocohammerheadx

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Here's How I did it.

[GNex TOOLKIT V10.1] Drivers, Backup, Unlock, Root, CWM, Flash, Mods + MORE [SPRINT] - xda-developers

This software is really nice. I backed all the apps up (including system apps) and then restored after the boot loader / root fix. This saved me a ton of time.

Next, installed wifi tether from the website (Sprint blocks the direct download in Google Play):

I hope this helps!

This method worked for me. Thank you!
Running LG Optimus G LG-LS970 JellyBean 4.1.2. Rooted bootloader still locked.

seraosha

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

Here's How I did it.

I hope this helps!

I can confirm that the above instructions works wonderfully, I've been tethering 3 HP touchpads reimaged to ice cream sandwich off of my nexus...now if I could always get 4G and full bars...;)

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I am reaaaaally interested in this since I get LTE Speeds now where I live!!! (L.A) I get roughly 17MB down and 9MB up.

I wouldnt mind tethering with these speeds. I have tried the methods here but none work...anyone have any other suggestions?

I am on 4.2.1

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I am reaaaaally interested in this since I get LTE Speeds now where I live!!! (L.A) I get roughly 17MB down and 9MB up.

I wouldnt mind tethering with these speeds. I have tried the methods here but none work...anyone have any other suggestions?

I am on 4.2.1

I think your only guaranteed answer is to unlock your boot loader, root & install a custom ROM

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

polarfileio

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I am on 4.2.1 and cannot get the SSID to show.

Error log using Setup-Method: Netd-Ndc (master):
Starting AP ... failed
Configuring AP... failed

However I do not get this error when using Netd(master) but still no SSID

Thoughts? Ideas?

Chibiz

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone help me get my WiFi tether thing to work?

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Android Central Forums

Hey there, just had to log on, (basically re-register lol) to help you out :)!

Firs things first, you'll have to make sure your phone is rooted.

I couldn't get my phone to broadcast at all, even though it looked like WiFi Tether was running..anyways..

I tried the settings that "pauljbenedict" posted, and that "xlocohammerheadx" confirmed worked for their LG-LS970 (the post above yours)

Change the Settings in WiFi Tether:

Menu -> Settings -> Change Device Profile -> Samsung Galaxy Nexus (CDMA/LTE) *Must be selected*

Once you've done that it should take you back to the settings screen..

Change Setup-Method - > Netd-Ndc (master) *must be selected*

I can confirm this works, as I am currently tethered, had to try it since finally got the phone to broadcast ssid :)! and it's working..

Now the only thing I'm concerned with, is if it will Turn Wi-Fi back on, after I stop tethering, since with the other methods I tried it--WiFi would show as being off even if I clicked it to go back on, it would remain off, only solution then would be to restart phone--which is a small yet annoying price to pay for tether,...albeit it wasnt working then...I'll let you know what happens xD once I go back to my regular wifi

-Chibiz

Chibiz

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I am on 4.2.1 and cannot get the SSID to show.

Error log using Setup-Method: Netd-Ndc (master):
Starting AP ... failed
Configuring AP... failed

However I do not get this error when using Netd(master) but still no SSID

Thoughts? Ideas?

Hmm..only thing I can think of is, to make sure that you have

"MMS clamping" checked (scroll down, on settings screen)
Routing Fix -check-

These are the things checked on my phone, I mention mmsg clamping as it seems to be something that is commonly mentioned when I was looking for an answer to my problem :)