Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    DanteROM(w/Hydro)/CAI CM9

Default My Christmas Present to Myself

This year, for a slightly early Christmas present, I'll be buying myself a new (and by new, I mean used or refurbished) GNex4G on Sprint. I'm looking now to see what I should expect to pay, but with the announce of the LGNexus, I was wondering what the field thinks about the next few months for a GNex, and if anyone has any tips on where to look. I've been stalking Ebay, though I have to think there's better options out there. Craigslist in Chicago might be a good option (I live in Chi-town), but I'm concerned about the lack of accountability as well as the problem of filtering out all the SPAM to find an actual ad.

Thoughts?

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

Default Re: My Christmas Present to Myself

I'm not much of an expert on prices, but I am knowledgeable about the actual quality of phones and their OS. Here's what I can offer:

This is the Android Central report on everything they know about the LG Nexus: http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-s-n...we-know-so-far

If you are keen on the latest Android OS, you will find that in both phones. However, it is highly likely the LG Nexus will ship with Android 4.2, whatever they decide to call it.

Lastly, I would just like to put forward my strongest recommendations that you buy a phone running Jelly Bean and up. I have a Nexus 7 and Jelly Bean is amazing!

All the best!

Sent from my Nexus 7 running Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM

The plan is to buy a Galaxy Nexus (unless I find someone selling a brand new LG Nexus for some ridiculous price). I was thinking about the Nexus S for a while, but I know it's at end of life and I want something that will continue to get updates for the next year or so, since it'll be my daily driver.

I'm hoping to start my relationship with the Samsung Nexus for about two bills, though if I can start for a bit less, I'd also like to get the regular accessories (case, extra battery, etc). Again, if anyone has any suggestions as to where to look, I have to think that ebay wouldn't be the best place to look. Am I crazy?

best buy and amazon both had the GN for $50 with upgrade last week....

IMO buy a NEW one for $50 from Sprint and save yourself the hassles.

good luck.

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I just bought mine brand new from here for $388:

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by mcantu View Post
    best buy and amazon both had the GN for $50 with upgrade last week....
    No upgrade, unfortunately. Hence the used device.

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Android Central Forums

You can get the extended battery for 12 bucks through sprint. Also if you don't mind signing a new contract you can also get the galaxy nexus for 0.00 on sprint. Problem solved.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

I got one for sell perfect condition

Quote Originally Posted by icewater106 View Post
    I got one for sell perfect condition

If your offering to sell your device it must be handled by posting it in the Marketplace forums ONLY.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/marketplace/
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Thanked by 2:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

ROM

Is it strange for me to say that I didn't even know that there WAS a Marketplace forum?

All that said, now that I've combed that forum, any other ideas? lol

Quote Originally Posted by DIPNINANOUT View Post
    You can get the extended battery for 12 bucks through sprint. Also if you don't mind signing a new contract you can also get the galaxy nexus for 0.00 on sprint. Problem solved.

I couldn't get sprint to go under $100. Amazon had it for $50 though, and I got sprint to credit me $50. I just need to get them to send me the free extended battery once it arrives.

I purchased my Nexus S 4G on swappa.com for a bargain, I see the have the GNex for a good price.

The site is for people on contracts or with carriers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Sprint Galaxy S 2 Epic 4G Touch, Acer C7 Chromebook, Galaxy Exhibit II 4G
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by berrydroidapple View Post
    I purchased my Nexus S 4G on swappa.com for a bargain, I see the have the GNex for a good price.

The site is for people on contracts or with carriers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Thanks a ton! I'll keep an eye out. With the LG Optimus G coming to Sprint next month, we'll see if some power users ditch their GNex for an OptiG. I'm just hoping the price comes down just a teeney bit off contract so I can get one in my budget. The NexS looks cool, but I know I'll kick myself if I get the NexS and then it hits obselete status and AOKP/AOSP/etc stop builds for it.

Quote Originally Posted by koeylondon View Post
    Thanks a ton! I'll keep an eye out. With the LG Optimus G coming to Sprint next month, we'll see if some power users ditch their GNex for an OptiG. I'm just hoping the price comes down just a teeney bit off contract so I can get one in my budget. The NexS looks cool, but I know I'll kick myself if I get the NexS and then it hits obselete status and AOKP/AOSP/etc stop builds for it.
    If I recall correctly, it has an official JellyBean update, and the full source files for building are available to developers for 4.1, so it won't be "obsolete" anytime soon. If nothing else, it should be just fine until your next upgrade cycle comes around. We won't know for sure until the specs for KLP drop, but my understanding is that it's supposed to build from JB as far as speed and increased battery life.
    Sprint Galaxy Nexus [stock for now]
    BB 8130, iPhone 4 8g, iPhone 3g 16gb, Toshiba e800, Palm Tungsten T
    [retired]Epic 4g, BB8330, BB 9670, Samsung Intercept, Katana DLX, Sanyo 8400, HTC Wizard, MPX220, and many others...

Wait till October 29th. The price should drop for the Galaxy Nexus when the new one is announced. Ebay has them new refurbished used etc. Just buy from a credible vendor.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

ROM

@Rat- I've thought about the Nexus S, as I said. If something were to happen to my OptiS, I'd probably even go that way. However, as long as I have a solid phone, I'm pretty dedicated to getting this gen of Nexus, if only so that I don't kick myself for getting an older phone when the GNex was only a few months away from hitting my price range.

@Giant- Yea, that's what my wife tells me. Also, I need to wait for my "ship to come in" so to speak. The money will be here, and when it is, it's likely that the price will drop out from under the GNex. It's still hard to wait. And I have a standing agreement with the wife: If I see one listed as "good" condition for less than 175, I'm allowed to jump IF I can confirm that the ESN is clean and that "Good" means that the screen is basically flawless.

It'll be a while before I see that (saw a few listed as Good at 200 recently. Here's hoping).

Yep hang in there man.. The price should dip down a bit once the next Nexus is officially on the books.

Crazy part is how well devices still hold their value on the market.. You can still drop a good condition Nexus S on EBay for $125-$150... Thats crazy for a device that is now showing some real age but again its a Nexus and its a FULLY supported Nexus in AOSP development so it gets extra kudo's for that reason alone.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Yep hang in there man.. The price should dip down a bit once the next Nexus is officially on the books.

Crazy part is how well devices still hold their value on the market.. You can still drop a good condition Nexus S on EBay for $125-$150... Thats crazy for a device that is now showing some real age but again its a Nexus and its a FULLY supported Nexus in AOSP development so it gets extra kudo's for that reason alone.
    Yep. The one year newer Droid Bionic is just now getting ICS. Nexus means your phone will be up to date much sooner, and for longer
    [retired]Epic 4g, BB8330, BB 9670, Samsung Intercept, Katana DLX, Sanyo 8400, HTC Wizard, MPX220, and many others...

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

I have a NS4G on contract until 8/13, upgrade available 6/13. I want a GNex soon.

I called Sprint last week, I can buy out my contract in Nov for $100, activate an old used dumb phone on the NS4G line, then upgrade to the Gnex at BB for $49. Doing it this way allows me to upgrade but still keep my NS4G to experiment with rooting and ROMS, since I'm chicken and won't do it on my active phone, well, because I need it.

I'm waiting until November to see what an LG Nexus has to offer. Either way, it's gonna be a Nexus.

What?!!...I'm msndrstood.
    Sent from my NS4G on JB
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2

Quote Originally Posted by msndrstood View Post
    I have a NS4G on contract until 8/13, upgrade available 6/13. I want a GNex soon.

I called Sprint last week, I can buy out my contract in Nov for $100, activate an old used dumb phone on the NS4G line, then upgrade to the Gnex at BB for $49. Doing it this way allows me to upgrade but still keep my NS4G to experiment with rooting and ROMS, since I'm chicken and won't do it on my active phone, well, because I need it.

I'm waiting until November to see what an LG Nexus has to offer. Either way, it's gonna be a Nexus.

Sent from my NS4G on JB
    You can actually skip the "activate a dumb phone" part... As long as you fulfilled the contract (either by buying it out, or riding the whole term), than any store will be able to treat the upgrade the same way. No store makes you turn in the old equipment, but if you really don't want it, it's a fair way to get some $$ back with no effort.

I'm in Chicago and within the past month I've traded my Evo 4g LTE for a Sprint Galaxy Nexus, then decided to leave Sprint, sold the Nexus and bought a used Playstore GSM Galaxy Nexus from XDA Market. My trade was off of craigslist, as well as the sale of my Sprint Nexus. If you buy off of craigslist, agree to meet at a Sprint store and have the phone added to your account then. That way, no bad esn.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Stock

Man, too bad that you live in Chi-town as i've been looking to sell my Sprint GNex so that I could purchase a Play Store Nexus.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by JRodHimself View Post
    Man, too bad that you live in Chi-town as i've been looking to sell my Sprint GNex so that I could purchase a Play Store Nexus.
    LOL If I had a nickel for every time I wished I wasn't in Chicago right now. Everything is more expensive here.

However, I continue the hunt. I'm like... an ebay stalker right now. LOL

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by ratsttam View Post
    You can actually skip the "activate a dumb phone" part... As long as you fulfilled the contract (either by buying it out, or riding the whole term), than any store will be able to treat the upgrade the same way. No store makes you turn in the old equipment, but if you really don't want it, it's a fair way to get some $$ back with no effort.
    Well, of course speaking with CS via phone vs in store will probably yield different stories. The CS on the phone said if I paid the ETF, then I would have to give up my number, which I am not willing to do, if I 'buy out my contract' I can keep my deactivated NS4G, if I had another phone to 'turn in'. It didn't make sense to me, what's the deal with turning in an old phone anyway if my contract is satisfied through the buy out either way? I'll be going to the corporate store this week anyway and I'll see what their story is.

Sent from my NS4G on JB
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast