Trying to figure out random reboot problem

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure why, but I get random reboots constantly on any rom, including straight OTA stock. I was wondering how many people out there use Beautiful Widgets or Light Flow?

APeX3181

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I have a VZW GNex and get random reboots occassionally, not all the time. I don't have BW, but I do use Light Flow.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I would try running a day or two without BW then try it without Light Flow and see if it stops when eliminating them...

kevindharrisii

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I have been getting them lately. Started about 3 days ago and I get two to three a day. I open to suggestions too. I use BW and lightflow as well.

Danf

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I have been using Lightflow and beautiful widgets for a couple of months now. no random reboots or other issues.

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't and have never used Lightflow or Beautiful Widgets but I do get random reboots. I thing that I saw somewhere did greatly reduce the amount of reboots that I suffer through. Don't remember where I saw it but here is the cliffnotes version....
Settings > Wifi > Settings menu > Advanced > Wi-Fi Frequency Band > Set it to either 5 GHz or 2.4GHz NOT ​Auto

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Did you guys ever figure out the solution to this issue? Mine seems to occur during overnight charging. I just got my Gnex this week and the first night I had it on the charger and woke up to it stuck in a boot loop. It rebooted a couple more times the next morning as soon as I took it off the charger. Now, every night since then, it is rebooting at least once in the middle of the night while on the charger. I have tried different chargers, thinking it may have something to do with that, but the rebooting continues. I don't have BW or lightflow installed. Thinking of doing a hard reset (thinking of rooting it anyway).

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Unfortunately, my random reboots are occuring while still on 4.1.1. My Gnex is on the Ting network, and we haven't gotten the 4.2.1 update yet.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, my random reboots are occuring while still on 4.1.1. My Gnex is on the Ting network, and we haven't gotten the 4.2.1 update yet.

Oh. Bummer.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I had many random reboots on 4.0.4 and still do on 4.1.1. Apparently Sprint doesn't think I deserve 4.2.1 yet and I'm to lazy to do it myself. Only thing that seems to help me at all is the info that I previously posted here & I can say that my reboots occur more often when I have weak signals, especially weak wifi so it kinda makes sense that this would work.

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
After doing some research online it seemed the consensus was the reboot problem was caused by applications or widgets. So... with 4.1.1 installed, I did a factory reset and just installed newer apps. On 4.2.1 I had a whole bunch of old apps I used to have on previous phones so I did not not re-install any of these apps just to see if they were the problem. My phone has yet to restart. I only resorted to this because even with just a few apps yesterday during the day even with 4.1.1 when I went to my recent calls and hit the phone Icon to dial the Number the Screen went BLACK ...it rang... and touching it would not do anything it stayed black... and then the phone restarted. I panicked, did a factory reset and just installed a couple of important apps.

For me, all the problems with reboots are with phone calls or anything within the Phone App itself. Problematic and it really worries me so I am not sure how much longer I am keeping this phone...

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
... I can say that my reboots occur more often when I have weak signals, especially weak wifi so it kinda makes sense that this would work....
Interesting you posted this. With my old phone (GSII Skyrocket), I had great wifi signal in my bedroom. However, it looks like the Gnex wifi antenna is weaker, and my bedroom coverage is spotty. I was only experiencing the reboots sometime during the night while charging on my bedside table. I have thought it had something to do with the overnight charge, but it may actually be the spotty wifi, like you said.

I did a hard reset on the phone, hoping that may help me out. When it booted back up, I got the alert that 4.2.1 was ready. I installed the update and didn't have any problems overnight last night. Too early to call it a victory, and I'm not sure if you would say the cure was the hard reset or the update to 4.2, but so far so good. Also, it may be my imagination, but my wifi and cell reception may be better since the hard reset/update.

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
After doing some research online it seemed the consensus was the reboot problem was caused by applications or widgets. So... with 4.1.1 installed, I did a factory reset and just installed newer apps. On 4.2.1 I had a whole bunch of old apps I used to have on previous phones so I did not not re-install any of these apps just to see if they were the problem. My phone has yet to restart. I only resorted to this because even with just a few apps yesterday during the day even with 4.1.1 when I went to my recent calls and hit the phone Icon to dial the Number the Screen went BLACK ...it rang... and touching it would not do anything it stayed black... and then the phone restarted. I panicked, did a factory reset and just installed a couple of important apps.

For me, all the problems with reboots are with phone calls or anything within the Phone App itself. Problematic and it really worries me so I am not sure how much longer I am keeping this phone...

I really don't think it is related to any particular apps or widgets. Mainly because the 2 main "culprits" that everyone seems to blame are Beautiful Widgets and Lightflow and I have never used either of them. Also, I just saw somewhere around A|C that google acknowledges this issue and said it is NOT caused by BW.

ryancell

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
After some reading online about the reboots...I ended up turning off the Location access (gps) for Wi-fi & mobile network location but left GPS Satellites on. So far been 24 hours and no reboot yet; I know because I make sure to leave an app open so I dont miss if it reboots. Perhaps this will fix it until an update comes to fix it, but if it has to get Sprint approval again, it may be months. Hard to say.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I read this morning that the GSM version is getting an update to 4.2.2 right now. Not sure if that is a fix for this issue, but worth watching.

I thought my hard reset had fixed things, since I went a few days with no reboots. However, yesterday it rebooted on me twice. Can't figure out the pattern.

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
After some reading online about the reboots...I ended up turning off the Location access (gps) for Wi-fi & mobile network location but left GPS Satellites on. So far been 24 hours and no reboot yet; I know because I make sure to leave an app open so I dont miss if it reboots. Perhaps this will fix it until an update comes to fix it, but if it has to get Sprint approval again, it may be months. Hard to say.

Somewhere along the line, in one of these threads about the reboot problem, this app was mentioned. It logs everytime your device reboots. Doesn't tell you why or anything like that, just tells you when.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...LndhdGFuYS5yZWJvb3Rsb2dnZXIiXQ&token=Qq1vLpv0..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital