• 1 Post By Bront
  • 1 Post By jean15paul
  • 1 Post By ratsttam
  • 1 Post By msndrstood
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

Default Jelly Bean Update on an inactivated Sprint Nexus

Hey guys, I just purchased a stock Gnex from eBay. I'm not sure if JB is loaded on it or not. I got it at the last 15 minutes of the auction so not a lot of time for questions. My risk I know.

Here's the question...I plan to do a factory reset after I check it out, then do a JB stock OTA download. I don't plan to activate it for another week when my 'buyout' drops to $75 on Sprint, will I still get on OTA or will it have to be activated first?

One more question...I have a NS4G, that I want to keep and flash to Boost for my daughter, can I just tell Sprint it died and get my number transferred to the Gnex when I activate it? I do not want to turn it in. I'm sure the answers are simple, but I figured I'd ask those who would know before I start down this path.

Thanks everyone, any help is appreciated.

What?!!...I'm msndrstood.
    Sent from my NS4G on JB
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2

Default Re: Jelly Bean Update on an inactivated Sprint Nexus

I think you can still get OTA JB even if the phone isn't active. Even if it's not stock, there are several walk thoughs on how to get it back to stock, and you can get the OTA update from there.

As for upgrading, you won't have to cancel your contract in the first place, and it shouldn't change your upgrade incentives since you're not using them nor are you renewing. You may have to pay a new phone activation fee, but you might get it waved if you tell them your phone was having issues. They never ask you to turn in your old phone unless you're replacing it via a warranty replacement (I still have 2 of my last 3 old phones). They may offer you credit if it's in working condition though.
    Thanked by:
    msndrstood likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

Thanks for the help! I thought so, I got confusing info from Sprint CSR, imagine that. The phone will be here tomorrow so I'll know more then.

What?!!...I'm msndrstood.
    Sent from my NS4G on JB
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2

Yeah, if everything is stock, you'll get the JB update over wifi whether the phone is activated or not.

You don't have to buyout your contract to activate a new phone. People buy phones all the time and activate them on their existing contract. Just call or go to Sprint and tell them that you bought a new phone that you want to activate, and they'll activate it for you. (They'll probably charge an activation fee.) And you get to keep your NS4G ... you don't have to tell them it died or anything.

Now I'm not sure about getting the NS4G off of Sprint and on to Boost. But it should be doable. Just bring it to Boost when you setup the Boost account.

Edit: In fact, I'm not sure if you telling Sprint that the NS4G died would result in them flagging it as a bad EIN. I don't think it would, but I'm not 100% sure.
    Thanked by:
    msndrstood likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jean15paul View Post
    Yeah, if everything is stock, you'll get the JB update over wifi whether the phone is activated or not.

You don't have to buyout your contract to activate a new phone. People buy phones all the time and activate them on their existing contract. Just call or go to Sprint and tell them that you bought a new phone that you want to activate, and they'll activate it for you. (They'll probably charge an activation fee.) And you get to keep your NS4G ... you don't have to tell them it died or anything.

Now I'm not sure about getting the NS4G off of Sprint and on to Boost. But it should be doable. Just bring it to Boost when you setup the Boost account.

Edit: In fact, I'm not sure if you telling Sprint that the NS4G died would result in them flagging it as a bad EIN. I don't think it would, but I'm not 100% sure.
    There is no activation fee to swap devices on a line. Only if you use your "upgrade" to get a new one. You can even sign into your account online and change them yourself. Sprint won't flag your device as a bad esn unless you report it stolen, OR you break your contract and NOT pay the ETF. Many people keep older devices around when they upgrade as insurance against the new one breaking. I keep a couple trusty BB 8330m's lying around for just that reason (and the tradein value is next to nothing, and they just won't die!).
    Sprint Galaxy Nexus [stock for now]
    BB 8130, iPhone 4 8g, iPhone 3g 16gb, Toshiba e800, Palm Tungsten T
    [retired]Epic 4g, BB8330, BB 9670, Samsung Intercept, Katana DLX, Sanyo 8400, HTC Wizard, MPX220, and many others...
    Thanked by:
    msndrstood likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

I got the Gnex yesterday. In excellent condition and a nice step up from my beloved NS4G. Running stock 4.1.1 like a dream. The extra 500 mb of RAM makes a big difference in speed and fluid scrolling. Transitions are seamless. Wifi signal is better than the NS4G, 3G is snappier. I just configured JD, so we'll see how that goes. I tried to Beam some pictures, no joy. Gotta work on that one.

Overall, it's not too big, I can reach everything except top left corner comfortably. The screen has better resolution, the speakers are louder. A lot of general improvements over the NS4G. I think I'm in love.

Sent from my GNex using Tapatalk 2
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2
    Derek_B likes this.

I felt the same when I got mine. I recommend the sedio case. I love it and won't trade it until the next one drops and no not the lg lol. Nexus 10 nice too

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by DIPNINANOUT View Post
    I felt the same when I got mine. I recommend the sedio case. I love it and won't trade it until the next one drops and no not the lg lol. Nexus 10 nice too

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    I agree, I'm happy with the Gnex. I am sold on Nexus devices, but I chose to pass on the LG Nexus. I just can't justify $300 for a phone. $200 has always been my max on a device that I will only use for about 2 years. I paid $350 for my custom built quad core desktop 3 years ago! Overall, it was well worth the $175. I am impressed with the shutter speed of the camera. Even though the 5 megapixel camera is the same resolution as my NS4G, but the pictures are crisper. See the one below[Jelly Bean Update on an inactivated Sprint Nexus-uploadfromtaptalk1351518117784.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2