How do we force 4.2 OTA on our phones?

azgalorRC

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I've tried about 20-25 times and its not working. Or are we @ the mercy of Sprint? I thought 4.2 would come directly from Google, regardless of carrier.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
At the speed Sprint moves we probably have a little while to wait... For some reason Sprint has treated the Sprint GNex like the red headed step child when it comes to updates and anything AOSP related.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
On the bright side, Sprint has accepted that it is indeed it's red headed stepchild. Verizon is still in denial about that fact with THEIR Galaxy Nexus. Due to the nature of CDMA carriers (Sprint/Verizon) here in the US, we don't have the option of just pulling the software directly from Google. GSM is an open standard, CDMA is not, and requires licensed files if I'm not mistaken.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Thing is - Sprint keeps insisting (in their community forums) that the delays are caused solely by google; that Sprint doesn't do anything to what Google pushes out from their servers. Google doesn't seem to answer this question at all. So maybe Sprint really isn't to blame for this (I don't know)

Regardless, us Sprint GNex owners have to put up with the delay. Hopefully Google/Sprint aren't trying to get 4.1.2 to us instead of working on 4.2...!!!!!
I suspect I'll finally break down and switch over to T-mo monthly4g or the other simpletalk type GSM prepaid plans. With Pseudo Nexus and horrible data coverage at Sprint, I'm getting frustrated (I'm supposed to be in LTE area - according to Sprint.com/coverage - but I haven't seen it working yet. Sprint's network team tells me that the towers aren't on and the coverage maps are inaccurate) grr...

Danf

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
While I hav issues with Sprints week long rollouts I can't say that Sprint was all that slow at getting Jelly bean out to the nexus to begin with..

Google released jelly bean middle of July Sprint rolled out Jelly Bean the first week of September That is not an unreasonably long time.

Well I guess it is if you are the average Android user who apparently has never outgrown the terrible twos and demands everything NOW!

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Compile it yourself. Google posted binaries for Toroplus for 4.2 and they work fine despite being labeled experimental. Note: They are only labeled experimental because Google cannot officially support them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Sprint has done good with updates this year compared to the other 4 carriers

Sent from my EPIC WHITE SGS2 Rockin CM10 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2

Danf

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
After reading the story on all the bugs in 4.2 when it's on the Nexus 7 or the Galaxy Nexus I don't want 4.2

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
After reading the story on all the bugs in 4.2 when it's on the Nexus 7 or the Galaxy Nexus I don't want 4.2
That means they will have worked out all the bugs before Sprint send it out to us. ;)
Mav. :cool:

Sent telepathically with the ESP App.

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
What bugs? I'm "running" 4.2. There is one bug. December doesn't show up when setting events in the People's application. Devs have already fixed it. Simple XML edits. No fanboy bull crap. God honest truth.

Danf

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
According to Android police Galaxy Nexus users and Nexus 7 users are reporting the following with 4.2

Auto-Brightness Bug
Broken Bluetooth
Random Reboots/Instability
Battery Drain/Slow Charging

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
According to Android police Galaxy Nexus users and Nexus 7 users are reporting the following with 4.2

Auto-Brightness Bug
Broken Bluetooth
Random Reboots/Instability
Battery Drain/Slow Charging

I can attest to not having any of those. In fact, 4.1.1 and 4.1.2 had screwed up auto brightness. It would raise brightness, but would only lower it when the screen dimmed at timeout, or when manually locking/unlocking. 4.2 fixed this for me, and many others from what I can tell over at xda.

Danf

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I am pretty sure the reported bugs are related to OTA official updates,( Not flashed roms)

Which of course sprint does not yet have. So maybe they will sort it all out with the official OTA updates before Sprint rolls it out.

Danf

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I agree, I much more prefer being able to download the update and install it via computer. That is about the only area where Blackberry could teach Android a thing or two.

mij9895

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Has it even been announced that the Galaxy Nexus is getting 4.2 on Sprint? I'm moving over to the Nexus tomorrow our mid next week when my replacement comes in.

Sent from my LG-LS840 Viper 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair