Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How do we force 4.2 OTA on our phones?

I've tried about 20-25 times and its not working. Or are we @ the mercy of Sprint? I thought 4.2 would come directly from Google, regardless of carrier.

Default Re: How do we force 4.2 OTA on our phones?

We're at Sprint's mercy...

It's okay to cry. I did too

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Justin Cardwell likes this.

We have to wait for Sprint. Hopefully fast!

At the speed Sprint moves we probably have a little while to wait... For some reason Sprint has treated the Sprint GNex like the red headed step child when it comes to updates and anything AOSP related.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

On the bright side, Sprint has accepted that it is indeed it's red headed stepchild. Verizon is still in denial about that fact with THEIR Galaxy Nexus. Due to the nature of CDMA carriers (Sprint/Verizon) here in the US, we don't have the option of just pulling the software directly from Google. GSM is an open standard, CDMA is not, and requires licensed files if I'm not mistaken.
    Sprint Galaxy Nexus [stock for now]
    BB 8130, iPhone 4 8g, iPhone 3g 16gb, Toshiba e800, Palm Tungsten T
    [retired]Epic 4g, BB8330, BB 9670, Samsung Intercept, Katana DLX, Sanyo 8400, HTC Wizard, MPX220, and many others...

Global Posts
    673 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Thing is - Sprint keeps insisting (in their community forums) that the delays are caused solely by google; that Sprint doesn't do anything to what Google pushes out from their servers. Google doesn't seem to answer this question at all. So maybe Sprint really isn't to blame for this (I don't know)

Regardless, us Sprint GNex owners have to put up with the delay. Hopefully Google/Sprint aren't trying to get 4.1.2 to us instead of working on 4.2...!!!!!
    I suspect I'll finally break down and switch over to T-mo monthly4g or the other simpletalk type GSM prepaid plans. With Pseudo Nexus and horrible data coverage at Sprint, I'm getting frustrated (I'm supposed to be in LTE area - according to Sprint.com/coverage - but I haven't seen it working yet. Sprint's network team tells me that the towers aren't on and the coverage maps are inaccurate) grr...
    todd.deland likes this.

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts

While I hav issues with Sprints week long rollouts I can't say that Sprint was all that slow at getting Jelly bean out to the nexus to begin with..

Google released jelly bean middle of July Sprint rolled out Jelly Bean the first week of September That is not an unreasonably long time.

Well I guess it is if you are the average Android user who apparently has never outgrown the terrible twos and demands everything NOW!
    arcoms likes this.

Compile it yourself. Google posted binaries for Toroplus for 4.2 and they work fine despite being labeled experimental. Note: They are only labeled experimental because Google cannot officially support them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    Thanked by:
    CardcaptorRLH85 likes this.

Sprint: The Maybe Later Network.

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts

Sprint the NOW network,

Not Operating Well Netork
    Derek_B likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Sprint has done good with updates this year compared to the other 4 carriers

Sent from my EPIC WHITE SGS2 Rockin CM10 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts

After reading the story on all the bugs in 4.2 when it's on the Nexus 7 or the Galaxy Nexus I don't want 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by Danf View Post
    After reading the story on all the bugs in 4.2 when it's on the Nexus 7 or the Galaxy Nexus I don't want 4.2
    That means they will have worked out all the bugs before Sprint send it out to us.
    Mav.

Sent telepathically with the ESP App.

I am polymerized tree sap and you are an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.

What bugs? I'm "running" 4.2. There is one bug. December doesn't show up when setting events in the People's application. Devs have already fixed it. Simple XML edits. No fanboy bull crap. God honest truth.

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts

According to Android police Galaxy Nexus users and Nexus 7 users are reporting the following with 4.2

Auto-Brightness Bug
    Broken Bluetooth
    Random Reboots/Instability
    Battery Drain/Slow Charging

Quote Originally Posted by Danf View Post
    According to Android police Galaxy Nexus users and Nexus 7 users are reporting the following with 4.2

Auto-Brightness Bug
    Broken Bluetooth
    Random Reboots/Instability
    Battery Drain/Slow Charging
    I can attest to not having any of those. In fact, 4.1.1 and 4.1.2 had screwed up auto brightness. It would raise brightness, but would only lower it when the screen dimmed at timeout, or when manually locking/unlocking. 4.2 fixed this for me, and many others from what I can tell over at xda.

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts

I am pretty sure the reported bugs are related to OTA official updates,( Not flashed roms)

Which of course sprint does not yet have. So maybe they will sort it all out with the official OTA updates before Sprint rolls it out.

I've always thought ota was a horrible method for updating a mobile OS.

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts

I agree, I much more prefer being able to download the update and install it via computer. That is about the only area where Blackberry could teach Android a thing or two.

Global Posts
    159 Global Posts

Has it even been announced that the Galaxy Nexus is getting 4.2 on Sprint? I'm moving over to the Nexus tomorrow our mid next week when my replacement comes in.

Sent from my LG-LS840 Viper 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2
    Current Device: Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus Jelly Bean 4.2.1
    Previous Devices: HTC Evo Shift 4G & iPhone 3GS 16GB

Quote Originally Posted by mij9895 View Post
    Has it even been announced that the Galaxy Nexus is getting 4.2 on Sprint? I'm moving over to the Nexus tomorrow our mid next week when my replacement comes in.

Sent from my LG-LS840 Viper 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2
    I would expect it to get 4.2 but the question is when.... When will Sprint decide to make it happen.
    Paul

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Sprint had 4.1.1 out in what, two months after release? Give them a chance. They may surprise us.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeinzu View Post
    Sprint had 4.1.1 out in what, two months after release? Give them a chance. They may surprise us.

Yep your right. They did surprise us with finally dropping official factory images to Google. I run custom ROMs anyways so 4.2 is just a flash away
    Paul

Not to mention Google released binaries for it this time.

Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Yeah Google and Sprint is on they sh*t finally in terms of updates

Sent from my EPIC WHITE SGS2 Rockin CM10 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast