Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Keyboards

I have tried so many keyboards and none really work. Here are my issues:

AI Keyboard is by far the best one, but it crashes my browser while I'm in MSN email. Which is annoying because it resets the app which closes all the browser windows. And yes I've tried several browsers.

The rest don't seem to work well in email/text boxes on the internet. Issues like inability to add a space and continue typing if the word goes to the edge of the box, auto capitalization when editing in the middle of words, auto correct/capitalization/spell check just not turning on, incorrectly correcting words over and over and over and not letting you use what you are trying to type or changing it back automatically forcing you have to retype. Are these just to be expected on the Nexus or is there a perfect keyboard?

And WHEN will Google add undo? Then half these things wouldn't be as frustrating.

Thanks.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Keyboards

I have used stock, Swype betas, Swift Key, Swift Key Flow and even the Android 4.2 stock keyboard..

Currently I've become comfortable with Swift Key/Swift Key Flow for least amount of problems. Its not perfect but seems to cause the least amount of troubles.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I don't have 4.2 yet. '-( And Swift Key seemed usable but I couldn't get past the number screen. The number pad instead of keyboard layout throws me.

Another issue I have with the keyboards is that in the same situations as above, the edit keys (arrow, select, cut/copy, etc. ) keys don't work. Frustrating.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

The Android 4.2 keyboard is easily loaded up even without having Android 4.2.

Its the best attempt Google has made so far at embracing the swyping style that many keyboards are trying to use today..

You can load it by doing the following below.

• Download the apk LatinIMEGoogle_signed.apk and place it on your sdcard
    • Make sure under Settings/Security scroll down to Device Adminstration and enable (check) the box allowing Unknown Sources.
    • Using a file explorer like ES File Explorer (free from the Google Play Store) locate the apk you downloaded and placed on your sdcard and tap to install it.
    • Once installed, go into Settings/Language & input and select ANDROID KEYBOARD.
    • Enjoy!
    Paul

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

The Galaxy Nexus doesn't have a SD card.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Quote Originally Posted by gnr_2 View Post
    The Galaxy Nexus doesn't have a SD card.

By SD card I mean internal storage. Force of habit still from using non Nexus devices that support sdcard.
    Paul

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Got it. :-) I bought SwiftKey since it was on sale for $2 but I am definitely not pleased with it, (though I did just type this entire section without touching a key.)

Sounds like your going to have to take the best of them all in your opinion and go with it.

I don't think anyone ever finds one app or keyboard, etc that fit exactly all their needs. Its a little love/hate relationship.
    Paul

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

The part that sucks is that AI *was* perfect other than this force close browser thing. They even know about it but it's a low priority. Ugh!

Try TouchPal if you haven't; even though I'm currently using SwiftKey Flow Beta just to see how it stacks up I was really impressed with TouchPal and still have it loaded.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums

Kii is new, and though it is ugly, it is actually quite good. I'm sticking with flow though.

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I can't find SK flow in the Play Store. I tried TouchPal too. I don't remember it specifically to say what didn't work about it. Maybe I'll try it again. And Kii.

I remember what the problem was with TouchPal. I did like it, a lot actually, but for some reason I was constantly selecting the wrong keys and the space bar was too small. Since I know I can type, even with my finger, I don't know what the issue was with that keyboard.

Last edited by gnr_2; 01-08-2013 at 11:59 PM.

SwiftKey 3 best keyboard ever

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by slinkies View Post
    SwiftKey 3 best keyboard ever

I bought it, but I'm not a fan. Really digging this new Kii keyboard. I think I have a keeper.

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by jrsharp70 View Post
    Kii is new, and though it is ugly, it is actually quite good. I'm sticking with flow though.
    Like Kii a lot! Downloaded a "Better Keyboard" skin and it looks good. You can even customize all the colors so you have the shape of the keys on the skin, but not neon blue colors. Tried it with the numbers on top and the keys just looked weird. Plus I'm getting used to the long press shift-key selection. Funny thing is I finally got used to Swift Key adding a space automatically after punctuation so I have to refrain myself to hit the space bar. Thanks for the suggestion.