Is this device still worth the extra cost?

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I know I might be getting biased answers asking this here, but thought I would get a feel for people who are actually using the device...

I am thinking of switching from AT&T to Ting (which uses Sprint's network). AT&T has much better coverage here than Sprint, but the savings may make it worth it. Ting doesn't subsidize their phones, which is fine, but I am trying to figure out if paying an extra $200 for a GNex is worth it. I can get a Epic 4G Touch for $200 or so, or a GNex for $400. I have always wanted a "pure" Google phone, but am very happy with my SGSII Skyrocket, which is almost identical to the E4GT. Plus, I worry that since the Sprint Gnex is not getting its updates straight from Google, the benefits of this Gnex is diminished somewhat. On the other hand, I know I can root and flash a stock ROM on the E4GT, but I'd prefer to rely on stock, OTA updates.

Any thoughts?

Danf

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
My Wife Has the Epic 4g touch while my son and I have the Gnex. My wife had to have her Epic 4g touch phone replaced TWICE in the first month. My son and I have never had an issue with the GNex.

To me the benefit of the GNex is pure android (I don't flash custom roms or even root). And Sprint has done a pretty good job of updating the GNex. it had Jelly bean within about 2 months of Jelly bean being released. and the 4.2.1 update should be coming out any time now. it is already on Google servers.

My opinion is that samsung never got Ice cream sandwich right on the Epic 4G touch and it remains somewhat quirky, Perhaps jelly bean will fix this, I hope so. it is a decent phone.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
400$ for a device that's more than a year old...I don't know.
What's the price of the GS3? If the GS3 costs more, then yeah go with the GNex.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
400$ for a device that's more than a year old...I don't know.
What's the price of the GS3? If the GS3 costs more, then yeah go with the GNex.

Yeah, that was my concern too. It would be one thing if it were the Nexus 4, but this is last year's model. $400 is even more than they are selling new Nexus 4s, if you can find them in stock. It's still worth it to me, because with the monthly savings I'm going to get by switching I'll have the device paid for in less than a year. Still, that doesn't mean I want to waste an extra $200 if I don't have to.

Yes, the GS3 costs more. If they were the same, I agree with you the GS3 would be the better choice. However, the GS3 costs $529.

I guess there is no way of knowing, but is the assumption that the GNex will be brought along on updates like the Nexus S has been? That's the big concern. I'm willing to pay more for the GNex if it is going to be treated differently from other phones, not only by speed of updates but longer updates. If the thought is that the GNex is done after 4.2, then I might as well go with the E4GT and save my money for the next one.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
It might get KLP & more likely than VZW's GNex but not guaranteed.

If I were you I'd maybe wait if you aren't in dyer need of a new phone just yet.
If you are, then go for the GNex.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i would consider buying a Nexus 4 from the Play Store for $299-$350 when available and use on your existing AT&T service and then ultimately a switch to prepaid or BYOD service with Straight Talk/AT&T or T-Mobile or equivalent for $45-$60/month (test the service out first before you cancel existing AT&T and commit - if you don't like the service you can always use your Nexus 4 on your existing AT&T plan - you are just swapping micro-SIM). the beauty is "true" Nexus with immediate updates direct from Google, plug and play phone choice, no contracts, and low service cost. i am considering this when my Sprint contract is up. do your own due diligence.

good luck.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
It might get KLP & more likely than VZW's GNex but not guaranteed.
If I were you I'd maybe wait if you aren't in dyer need of a new phone just yet.
If you are, then go for the GNex.
Thanks. I have to get a new device because my current device is GSM and if I switch to Ting, I'll be going CDMA.

i would consider buying a Nexus 4 from the Play Store for $299-$350 when available and use on your existing AT&T service and then ultimately a switch to prepaid or BYOD service with Straight Talk/AT&T or T-Mobile or equivalent for $45-$60/month (test the service out first before you cancel existing AT&T and commit - if you don't like the service you can always use your Nexus 4 on your existing AT&T plan - you are just swapping micro-SIM). the beauty is "true" Nexus with immediate updates direct from Google, plug and play phone choice, no contracts, and low service cost. i am considering this when my Sprint contract is up. do your own due diligence.
good luck.

Thanks. I have looked into AT&T's MVNOs and, while I reallly like the coverage of AT&T, the prices don't save me any money. I don't need an unlimited plan, which is why Ting is appealing to me. I'd love to switch to a T-Mobile value plan, but T-mobile only has 2G service in my area.

I've run the numbers and have found out that it will only take a year to pay for the cost of a new device with the savings I will be getting. So, even if I am unhappy with the service or wished I had gone with a gsm Nexus, I'll be no worse off after 12 months or so.

slinkies

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
The gnex is a great device and yes updates don't come straight from Google but correct me if I'm wrong but sprints gnex is the only one so far to be getting the 4.2.1 ota right around the corner sprint has actually been very good with updates the past year or so I love my gnex and there's so much development for it that you can really never get bored with it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
... but correct me if I'm wrong but sprints gnex is the only one so far to be getting the 4.2.1 ota right around the corner ...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

The GSM versions are already on 4.2, and have been since November. Also, it is my understanding thta the CDMA versions were a couple of months behind getting 4.1. Now, Sprint is better than Verizon, but the fact that they delay the updates even a little bit makes me worry about their update process, and how that might affect future updates.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I have to get a new device because my current device is GSM and if I switch to Ting, I'll be going CDMA.

Thanks. I have looked into AT&T's MVNOs and, while I reallly like the coverage of AT&T, the prices don't save me any money. I don't need an unlimited plan, which is why Ting is appealing to me. I'd love to switch to a T-Mobile value plan, but T-mobile only has 2G service in my area.

I've run the numbers and have found out that it will only take a year to pay for the cost of a new device with the savings I will be getting. So, even if I am unhappy with the service or wished I had gone with a gsm Nexus, I'll be no worse off after 12 months or so.

What about straight talk for att? It's 45 bucks. Keep good coverage and if you want a nexus 4 or gsm gnex you can save some dough

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
What about straight talk for att? It's 45 bucks. Keep good coverage and if you want a nexus 4 or gsm gnex you can save some dough

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I've looked at ST, but it doesn't save me any money. It would if I was a big user of talk/text/data, but I don't need unlimited. I currently pay $89 for 2 lines. The data cap is a little cramped, but not a huge problem. I can switch to Ting and both lines would cost $43 based on my current usage. That's hard to beat. I could increase my data usage by a factor of 10, and still just pay the same as what I'm paying now.

However, I love the fact that you guys are thinking about this for me. I'm open to suggestions! There may be things I haven't considered!

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
no contracts and SIM/phone freedom is a beautiful thing.

- - - Updated - - -

no contracts and SIM/phone freedom is a beautiful thing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2