Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Global Posts
    750 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Sprint 4.2.1

Quote Originally Posted by stimulatedboredom View Post
    I live in Northeast Virginia (near DC) and am getting annoyed that there have been two updates (4.2 & 4.2.1), neither of which I have received.
    Hmm - I don't recall a 4.2 update being pushed out OTA. After 4.1.1, we got 4.2.1
    Did you mean to say that you didn't get 4.1.1 either? If so, a trip to the Sprint store (or a call to customer service) is definitely in order. They can certainly get you up to 4.1.1 right away. For 4.2.1, they will probably ask you to wait 2-3 weeks because "it is being pushed out in waves"

ROM
    EOS3 nightly 61 (4.1.2)

I'm experiencing many random reboots & system lag after 4.2.1. Was doing it right after I updated and did a factory reset just to make sure and that hasn't helped the problem. My processor is now getting hotter then ever (130 at one point).

Also...any known root methods for the new update? I haven't been able to locate one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    If by some chance I helped you out, please be so kind as to hit that thanks button. You'd be a lot cooler if you did.

Quote Originally Posted by CaMelGuY1337 View Post
    I'm experiencing many random reboots & system lag after 4.2.1. Was doing it right after I updated and did a factory reset just to make sure and that hasn't helped the problem. My processor is now getting hotter then ever (130 at one point).

Also...any known root methods for the new update? I haven't been able to locate one.

Rooting/unlocking methods never change with the Nexus. Use the same procedure as all previous versions of Android.

Unlock bootloader, flash custom recovery, flash superuser within recovery before booting up.

Enjoy

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by stimulatedboredom View Post
    I live in Northeast Virginia (near DC) and am getting annoyed that there have been two updates (4.2 & 4.2.1), neither of which I have received.
    I live in DC and my phone was pushed Jellybean literally two nights after I got the phone in September (I had just figured out how to use the phone and had to start over). 4.2.1 was just pushed this AM. I signed up for Sprint in DC. If you got your phone in say, Boise, and moved, you might be on a different schedule.

I'm not sure I want to upgrade based on all the issues and since I'm not rooted, it's not like I'll be able to "undo" it.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Quote Originally Posted by gnr_2 View Post
    I live in DC and my phone was pushed Jellybean literally two nights after I got the phone in September (I had just figured out how to use the phone and had to start over). 4.2.1 was just pushed this AM. I signed up for Sprint in DC. If you got your phone in say, Boise, and moved, you might be on a different schedule.
    You might have a point. I recently moved here from Orlando about 2 months ago, yet had not updated my billing address with Sprint. Yesterday I received my new bill in the mail and saw that they were still forwarding it, so I went online and updated my address... lo and behold, I had the new update ready to install this morning.

Not sure if the two are connected, but coincidental enough for me to think they might be! Either way, I have the new update... finally.
    gnr_2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jj14x View Post
    Hmm - I don't recall a 4.2 update being pushed out OTA. After 4.1.1, we got 4.2.1
    Did you mean to say that you didn't get 4.1.1 either? If so, a trip to the Sprint store (or a call to customer service) is definitely in order. They can certainly get you up to 4.1.1 right away. For 4.2.1, they will probably ask you to wait 2-3 weeks because "it is being pushed out in waves"
    To my knowledge, Sprint / Google pushed out the 4.2 update a couple of weeks ago, which is when AC posted a link on how to directly install it if you didn't want to wait for the OTA, since the update was sitting on Sprint's site, but not being pushed. Then a few days ago AC posted that there was a minor update (4.2.1) that was being pushed.

I did have 4.1.1 and have had for awhile, that would suck if I was still waiting for JB

Not sure if the two are connected, but I recently moved to the DC area from Florida. I had tried all the tricks to force the update, with no success. Then last night I finally updated my billing address from Florida to DC, and the update was downloaded and ready to be installed this morning! I figured it was based off my phone's ID or towers, but maybe it was just updating my billing to tell Sprint that I moved here and was not just visiting.

ROM
    EOS3 nightly 61 (4.1.2)

My Nexus has now rebooted itself 7 times this morning. This is my 5th one and I'm done with this. Sprint told me that I have to go through 5 of the same device before I can be moved to a different phone. The told me once that I can move to the "comparable" Samsung Victory or the Optimus elite or something like that. You tell how those are anywhere near what this phone is.

If by some chance I helped you out, please be so kind as to hit that thanks button. You'd be a lot cooler if you did.

My Nexus has now rebooted itself 7 times this morning. This is my 5th one and I'm done with this. Sprint told me that I have to go through 5 of the same device before I can be moved to a different phone. The told me once that I can move to the "comparable" Samsung Victory or the Optimus elite or something like that. You tell how those are anywhere near what this phone is.

I went thru this same problem years ago with my Sprint Samsung Epic 4g. There is no written law as to how many times you have to have the phone replaced with a refurb, but Sprint will try to get you to keep taking the refurbs as much as possible.

The two phones you mentioned as comparable exchanges to swap out to are nowhere near on par with the Gnex. If it was me I would go for another Gnex instead of the options they gave you. Stinks because it's based on the current value of the phone and not comparable specs :-(

Paul

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

ROM
    EOS3 nightly 61 (4.1.2)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    I went thru this same problem years ago with my Sprint Samsung Epic 4g. There is no written law as to how many times you have to have the phone replaced with a refurb, but Sprint will try to get you to keep taking the refurbs as much as possible.

The two phones you mentioned as comparable exchanges to swap out to are nowhere near on par with the Gnex. If it was me I would go for another Gnex instead of the options they gave you. Stinks because it's based on the current value of the phone and not comparable specs :-(

I actually just read am article I found through the forums here. Apparently the reboot issue is an OS level problem with 4.2 and Google has acknowledged the issue and is working on a fix. Who knows when that will get released.

The patch should be released Mid-March. Most likely after patch, we will see android 5.0 the understanding I got
    If you like my work or If I helped you. Please show some love and click the thanks button or donate here

Quote Originally Posted by tommyjoesanders View Post
    The patch should be released Mid-March. Most likely after patch, we will see android 5.0 the understanding I got
    Now I know why I've stayed on my custom Rom ' AOKP ' based off 4.1.2

@camelguy there is always rooting or at least unlocking your bootloader and then flashing the stock factory images to return back to 4.1.2

Paul

I'd tell Sprint you were reporting them to the Attorney General of your state since it should be based on the value of the phone when you got it new. The fact that they kept stalling you and now saying it's based on current value is something your AG will be very interested in. Shouldn't be too hard to find the lemon laws in your state and if Sprint was compliant (which sounds like they weren't.).

That said, it sounds like your current issue is related to the update.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Now I know why I've stayed on my custom Rom ' AOKP ' based off 4.1.2

@camelguy there is always rooting or at least unlocking your bootloader and then flashing the stock factory images to return back to 4.1.2

lol @ paul . I keep reading reading people are having all kinds of issues with 4.2.1 . and I noticed and tested somethings. if you accept OTA or adb sideload the OTA. It seems like there is issues with charging and random reboots. But when I flashed 4.2.1 using ODIN and did a factory reset everything works nicely. Battery good and no lag and no overheating. So I don't If this helps anyone with there issues. But I was running into some of this these and tried different things too make sure I didn't have a defective unit.

If you like my work or If I helped you. Please show some love and click the thanks button or donate here

Could be a coincidence with Odin. I know a few people running stock 4.2.1 with no problems. I think it's one if those bugs in the source that is random and seems to only randomly hit certain devices.

Kind of like running a custom kernel from a developer. Not all devices are created 100 % equal and even with identical setups they can all react differently to running that same custom kernel. Some run fine while others freeze, random reboot, etc...

Paul

Could be a coincidence with Odin. I know a few people running stock 4.2.1 with no problems. I think it's one if those bugs in the source that is random and seems to only randomly hit certain devices.

Kind of like running a custom kernel from a developer. Not all devices are created 100 % equal and even with identical setups they can all react differently to running that same custom kernel. Some run fine while others freeze, random reboot, etc...

@paul , thats very true. I hope maybe what I went thru . Might help someone. But, you know what they say "Sometimes a custom rom and kernel is better than the stock stuff" Thats the beauty about having this phone. We can do things better than google can.

Yep. Be thankful for the custom ROM/kernel developers.

Paul

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Jelly Bean

Quote Originally Posted by thunderking View Post
    thank you my brother.

http://i.imgur.com/bJw4O0j.png
    My update came this morning too and its the same thing.
    Ham!

I received the OTA update the other day and noticed a few changes but will really review changes soon.

Battery life has been getting progressively worse throughout the week. Saturday, I was able to get just over 2 hours on screen time, on wifi all day. Past few days have been around 1.5 hours screen on time, and today I'm on track to get 1 hour if I'm lucky. I wasn't having this issue with the 4.2.1 roms I was running earlier. The battery stats aren't showing any particular app eating up my battery, just the screen taking up the most as is expected. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Brettbesa View Post
    Battery life has been getting progressively worse throughout the week. Saturday, I was able to get just over 2 hours on screen time, on wifi all day. Past few days have been around 1.5 hours screen on time, and today I'm on track to get 1 hour if I'm lucky. I wasn't having this issue with the 4.2.1 roms I was running earlier. The battery stats aren't showing any particular app eating up my battery, just the screen taking up the most as is expected. Any thoughts?
    Sprint is aware of the issues. There is another update coming out with the next week or so. They are testing everything as we speak. It should 4.2.2 and it should be last update until mid summer when android 5.0 is released

Sprint is aware of the issues. There is another update coming out with the next week or so. They are testing everything as we speak. It should 4.2.2 and it should be last update until mid summer when android 5.0 is released
    Really? Awesome. How do you know all of this?

This might sound like a silly question, but if you don't update to 4.2.1, will 4.2.2 install those updates as well. Also, how will you know which update it is when notified?

Quote Originally Posted by gnr_2 View Post
    This might sound like a silly question, but if you don't update to 4.2.1, will 4.2.2 install those updates as well. Also, how will you know which update it is when notified?

Nope must have the latest firmware before accepting any OTA firmware updates. every update that is issued always has info what the update is
    You will need to have 4.2.1 installed so when 4.2.2 is released then you will be able to accept the updates
    Thanked by:
    gnr_2 

Quote Originally Posted by Brettbesa View Post
    Really? Awesome. How do you know all of this?
    I have a sources that are pretty good to me
    Thanked by:

I have a sources that are pretty good to me
    Give up these sources immediately sir. I'm only going to ask you once.

Sent from my phone that's better than yours.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast