Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Default Re: Sprint 4.2.1

Quote Originally Posted by acr456 View Post
    Give up these sources immediately sir. I'm only going to ask you once.

Sent from my phone that's better than yours.
    LOL
    If you like my work or If I helped you. Please show some love and click the thanks button or donate here

Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by tommyjoesanders View Post
    Sprint is aware of the issues. There is another update coming out with the next week or so. They are testing everything as we speak. It should 4.2.2 and it should be last update until mid summer when android 5.0 is released

Umm, no offense, but I'd be very surprised (shocked even) if the official Sprint 4.2.2 landed on our phones next week. Especially since Sprint hasn't yet released an OS update for our Nexus devices till about 2 months after it gets released to the GSM versions.
    I hope you are right, but given that 4.2.2 hasn't been released to the GSM phones yet, I am not holding my breath.

(Unless you meant to say "Sprint is aware of the issues. There is another update coming out <for the GSM Nexus> with the next week or so. They <i.e...google> are testing everything as we speak. It should 4.2.2 and it should be last update out <for the GSM Nexus> until mid summer when android 5.0 is released. <Sprint devices should hope to get 4.2.2 when Android 5.0 gets released for GSM users>)

Quote Originally Posted by jj14x View Post
    Umm, no offense, but I'd be very surprised (shocked even) if the official Sprint 4.2.2 landed on our phones next week. Especially since Sprint hasn't yet released an OS update for our Nexus devices till about 2 months after it gets released to the GSM versions.
    I hope you are right, but given that 4.2.2 hasn't been released to the GSM phones yet, I am not holding my breath.

(Unless you meant to say "Sprint is aware of the issues. There is another update coming out <for the GSM Nexus> with the next week or so. They <i.e...google> are testing everything as we speak. It should 4.2.2 and it should be last update out <for the GSM Nexus> until mid summer when android 5.0 is released. <Sprint devices should hope to get 4.2.2 when Android 5.0 gets released for GSM users>)
    This sounds more accurate.

Sent from my phone that's better than yours.

As soon I get more details I will let you guys know. I was just passing down for some info that was shared with me. I believe there will be a 4.2.2 update maybe the timeline could be off? But like I was told 4.2.2 would be last version released after that Android 5.0 should be released mid-summer too us. The understand I got that 4.2.2 is minor update with system preformance patch mostly. So I am hoping I might get more details
    If you like my work or If I helped you. Please show some love and click the thanks button or donate here

Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I believe there will be a 4.2.2 update maybe the timeline could be off? But like I was told 4.2.2 would be last version released after that Android 5.0 should be released mid-summer too us.
    That, I agree. I do expect Sprint/Google to release 4.2.2 to us in a couple of months (or so) after it is released to GSM users (any day now) - likely, just about the time that 5.0 is being made available for the GSM users

You are correct - 4.2.2 should mainly be fixes (like BT media streaming, and security updates etc) - no major feature being added, from what I've read.

As soon I get more details I will let you guys know. I was just passing down for some info that was shared with me.
    Thank you. Updates are always appreciated

I've been running 4.2.1 for a week now and have found it less stable than 4.1.1. When signal (cell or wifi) is minimal and I answer a call phone locks up, screen goes blank, and requires battery pull. Another instance, browsing a video server on wifi and get to far away from access point, pressed back button one time, same thing. I can see the dev has done a lot on the back end to make services similar or more compatible with other devices. The most recent I noticed is group messaging is now a MMS, whoopie. There is enough front end changes that make me regret updating to 4.2.1, don't get me wrong, I like the stopwatch and the timer, but when the ease of access to get to alarms is more than 1 click and is a tiny icon in the corner of the screen, c'mon.

There have been changes for the better, but its still broke. What happened to not being beta testers any more? Was that another carrier?

I walked into an ATT store a few weeks ago and found a galaxy note running 2.3.5. Really!

Nope must have the latest firmware before accepting any OTA firmware updates. every update that is issued always has info what the update is
    You will need to have 4.2.1 installed so when 4.2.2 is released then you will be able to accept the updates
    Based on this, those of you having problems with 4.2 could do a factory reset and update the phone only back to 4.1.1?

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

I have had the update for a few days and haven't had any issues at all. I did go through and delete some rarely used apps and updated the rest. My phone has never had the hardware or software problems others have had, ::shrugs:: Just lucky I guess.

What?! ...I'm msndrstood.
    via Gnex
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    ROM
    COLD AS ICE-CM9

i did a factory reset after going about a day with the OTA so that it would maybe stop my laggy wake/lock issues. it didn't, but my phone's battery life has improved significantly and iv never had any other software issues.

Well I'm baffled. Saturday, I got comfortably 2 hrs of on screen time, just inexplicably. Sunday, 2 and a half! Today, I'm on track for 1 hr. No change in usage, no apps installed or uninstalled. For some reason, on the weekends, I get great battery life and on the weekdays, not so much. What on Earth?

Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by gnr_2 View Post
    Based on this, those of you having problems with 4.2 could do a factory reset and update the phone only back to 4.1.1?
    Assuming one had done OTA to get to 4.2.1, factory reset on that phone with stock 4.2.1 will not change the OS version. It will reload 4.2.1

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.
    You will have to use ODIN and Flash FH05 firmware and FH05 Radios.

Assuming one had done OTA to get to 4.2.1, factory reset on that phone with stock 4.2.1 will not change the OS version. It will reload 4.2.1
    What??? Not following. A) Were there phones that started at 4.2.1? B) why would you do an OTA to the version you started with? Why would you even get one pushed to your phone?

You will have to use ODIN and Flash FH05 firmware and FH05 Radios.
    Huh? Why would you have to do this to factory reset? If you are a basic user (read not rooted and not ever planning to because you don't care that much about this stuff. You just want a phone that works.) and you are kicking yourself for updating to 4.2.1, wouldn't a factory reset take you back to the original configuration of your phone? My assumption is that if you are rooted, you have other ways of reverting to the previous version. This was a possible solution for everyone else.

ROM
    EOS3 nightly 61 (4.1.2)

Huh? Why would you have to do this to factory reset? If you are a basic user (read not rooted and not ever planning to because you don't care that much about this stuff. You just want a phone that works.) and you are kicking yourself for updating to 4.2.1, wouldn't a factory reset take you back to the original configuration of your phone? My assumption is that if you are rooted, you have other ways of reverting to the previous version. This was a possible solution for everyone else.

All a factory reset does is erase everything from the phone. It doesn't revert the software. Once you install 4.2.1 you'll have to use ODIN or ADB to revert back to 4.1.1.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    If by some chance I helped you out, please be so kind as to hit that thanks button. You'd be a lot cooler if you did.
    Thanked by:
    gnr_2 

Quote Originally Posted by CaMelGuY1337 View Post
    All a factory reset does is erase everything from the phone. It doesn't revert the software. Once you install 4.2.1 you'll have to use ODIN or ADB to revert back to 4.1.1.

Got it. Really making sure then not to accidentally install.

Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

What??? Not following. A) Were there phones that started at 4.2.1? B) why would you do an OTA to the version you started with? Why would you even get one pushed to your phone?
    There are other ways to get to 4.2.1 - example, root and install a custom ROM, or sideload. So, my answer was specific to the ones who did OTA to get to 4.2.1 (unrooted). Factory reset on the stock 4.2.1 ROM doesn't change your OS version back to 4.1.1 - it will stay 4.2.1

On Custom ROMs, it should be the same behavior, but since it is a custom ROM, the developer may have provided the ability to factory reset back to a previous version (custom 'factory reset') - I can't speak for those.

There are other ways to get to 4.2.1 - example, root and install a custom ROM, or sideload. So, my answer was specific to the ones who did OTA to get to 4.2.1 (unrooted). Factory reset on the stock 4.2.1 ROM doesn't change your OS version back to 4.1.1 - it will stay 4.2.1

On Custom ROMs, it should be the same behavior, but since it is a custom ROM, the developer may have provided the ability to factory reset back to a previous version (custom 'factory reset') - I can't speak for those.
    Yeah, I get it now. I just wish they would fix 4.2.1 and then we won't have to worry about how to get rid of it.

Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7(Nook)

Google has acknowledged the random reboot issue and said it's an OS level problem, so ing at Sprint and throwing a tantrum won't help you. From what I understand, rooting and using a custom ROM may help. Google is working on a fix.

I have experienced a few random reboots on my Sprint GNex, maybe 3 times since I updated to 4.2 a week or so ago. A bit annoying but not a daily occurrence or anything. I can live with it until the fix is pushed out.

Quote Originally Posted by CaMelGuY1337 View Post
    My Nexus has now rebooted itself 7 times this morning. This is my 5th one and I'm done with this. Sprint told me that I have to go through 5 of the same device before I can be moved to a different phone. The told me once that I can move to the "comparable" Samsung Victory or the Optimus elite or something like that. You tell how those are anywhere near what this phone is.

ROM
    EOS3 nightly 61 (4.1.2)

Quote Originally Posted by WordPainter View Post
    Google has acknowledged the random reboot issue and said it's an OS level problem, so ing at Sprint and throwing a tantrum won't help you. From what I understand, rooting and using a custom ROM may help. Google is working on a fix.

I have experienced a few random reboots on my Sprint GNex, maybe 3 times since I updated to 4.2 a week or so ago. A bit annoying but not a daily occurrence or anything. I can live with it until the fix is pushed out.
    My "temper tantrum" as you put is far from that. My complaining to Sprint involved the fact that their network makes my phone reach 137. Also, once Sprint put their name on the back of this thing they are responsible for it's upkeep. Yes, I know Google makes the software, but again Sprint bought the supply of them and put their stamp of approval on it. Why do you think I've been through 5 of these since April of 2012. BTW, my screen is now becoming even more unresponsive when I'm trying to type. Feels like the phone is trying to fall apart.

Last edited by CaMelGuY1337; 08-05-2013 at 12:45 AM.
    If by some chance I helped you out, please be so kind as to hit that thanks button. You'd be a lot cooler if you did.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    EOS3 nightly 61 (4.1.2)

Quote Originally Posted by WordPainter View Post

Also, explain to me your logic. Of course I can root and flash custom ROMs, tell me though....why should I have to fix my own phone if I didn't mess it up?

I think the biggest thing to keep in mind is we know a fix will be available eventually, hopefully sooner than later.

Google does a great job at testing and getting things working but it's known they do leave some bugs behind and not always the most desirable conditions. Many times the OEM's/carriers make things better when they get the same AOSP code tweaked to suit the branded devices but they still have their own share of issues by doing so.

So we have seen the 4.2.2 update has rolled out to the GSM Gnex, Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 so it's now probably in the hands of Sprint to play with and decide when they are satisfied with their own internal testing to approve it/add their proprietary files and give Google the green light to push it out to the Sprint Gnex.

I just wish a common agreement could be made among Google/OEM's/carriers to make it a user selectable option to upgrade so your not bombarded with repeated prompts to update.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Thanked by:

Wink Re: Sprint 4.2.1

My problems are documented on another thread in here... my phone was working great on 4.1.1 and since I was notified everyday to restart and install 4.2.1 I was like what they hey so I finally did it. When I had the reboot problem initially (with my first Nexus) initiating a call, or answering a call, or calling a number from my recent numbers list would automatically freeze the phone and then just reinstall... with this Nexus I have been on 4.2.1 around two days now and it is working flawlessly. Another posted mentioned that it might have been a radio problem with my first Nexus and that really makes sense now. I have GA02 now ... and I remember on my first Nexus I had FC something or what seemed like an old radio ON JELLYBEAN (i dont know how thats possible but it was the case)! So yeah... 4.2.1 is working fine for me. It seems the phone takes longer to charge but I mean that is no biggie. The most important thing for me is I can now make and receive calls without having to worry about reboots

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    I just wish a common agreement could be made among Google/OEM's/carriers to make it a user selectable option to upgrade so your not bombarded with repeated prompts to update.
    Found this in the Nexus 4 forum. About to give it a try...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wireless Gadget View Post
    Thanks for pointing this out, on the Google Services Framework if you uncheck "Show Notifications" the notification to install the pesky update for 4.2.2 disappears.. this was what I was looking for so that I don't click on the update to 4.2.2 by mistake.
    I'm one of the few that does not want to update my Nexus 4 to this lastest version yet. I'm happy with 4.2.1
    I'm so sick of clicking "install later" and/or swiping the notification away for 4.2.1. Hopefully this will keep it at bay for a while until I hear that 4.2.2 has started rolling out to us.

Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Majority of custom roms are different and cm10.1 is on 4.2.2 already

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast