Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Default Re: Sprint 4.2.1

I too am having horrible overheating / battery / lag issues. Here are some screen shots of my battery this morning. I guess I will have to look into rooting and installing a custom ROM.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sprint 4.2.1-screenshot_2013-02-19-11-55-17.png   Sprint 4.2.1-screenshot_2013-02-19-11-55-25.png   Sprint 4.2.1-screenshot_2013-02-19-11-55-38.png   Sprint 4.2.1-screenshot_2013-02-19-11-55-48.png  

ROM
    EOS3 nightly 61 (4.1.2)

Quote Originally Posted by djs71a View Post
    I too am having horrible overheating / battery / lag issues. Here are some screen shots of my battery this morning. I guess I will have to look into rooting and installing a custom ROM.
    It has to be the location services problem. Try keeping your GPS and location options off. I know that sucks, but I have seen positive results from it. That's about all we can do outsode of waiting for 4.2.2 to come to us or we can root and use a custom ROM.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    If by some chance I helped you out, please be so kind as to hit that thanks button. You'd be a lot cooler if you did.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by CaMelGuY1337 View Post
    It has to be the location services problem. Try keeping your GPS and location options off. I know that sucks, but I have seen positive results from it. That's about all we can do outsode of waiting for 4.2.2 to come to us or we can root and use a custom ROM.

GPS is off. I will try turning off the "wi-fi & mobile network location" and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    Majority of custom roms are different and cm10.1 is on 4.2.2 already

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2
    I assume you mean the nightly builds of CM10?

After turning off all location services, I am still getting pretty poor battery life. However, my phone is not hot to the touch when I am not using it, like it was before.

Here are screen shots of 44 minutes on battery. I lost 10% with 1 1/2 minutes of screen time. I know poor signal strength will use more battery, and half way through the 44 minutes it went from the puke color to green. Maybe if I see how it discharges while in a "good" signal area.

Also, I don't understand why "Android System" shows 40 minutes of keep awake, but for the 44 minutes I was on battery, the first screen shot only shows a tiny bit of awake time.

Sprint 4.2.1-screenshot_2013-02-20-07-12-30.pngSprint 4.2.1-screenshot_2013-02-20-07-12-40.pngSprint 4.2.1-screenshot_2013-02-20-07-12-49.pngSprint 4.2.1-screenshot_2013-02-20-07-13-10.pngSprint 4.2.1-screenshot_2013-02-20-07-13-18.png

Things should improve with 4.2.2 when that is released at some point. Its no secret that 4.2.1 has some issues for not only the GNex users but also N4 & N7 folks.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

I assume you mean the nightly builds of CM10?
    Yeah im on the Feb 19 nightly and it runs wayy smoother than the old builds and even smoother than stock 4.1.1 imo

ROM
    EOS3 nightly 61 (4.1.2)

Well, there's 3 more reboots today... now bringing my total to 30 all together. Rooting this thing after work. I'm so sick of the 4.2.1 debacle, what happened to quality control?

If by some chance I helped you out, please be so kind as to hit that thanks button. You'd be a lot cooler if you did.

After turning off all location services, I am still getting pretty poor battery life. However, my phone is not hot to the touch when I am not using it, like it was before.

Here are screen shots of 44 minutes on battery. I lost 10% with 1 1/2 minutes of screen time. I know poor signal strength will use more battery, and half way through the 44 minutes it went from the puke color to green. Maybe if I see how it discharges while in a "good" signal area.

Also, I don't understand why "Android System" shows 40 minutes of keep awake, but for the 44 minutes I was on battery, the first screen shot only shows a tiny bit of awake time.
    I know you know this but sometimes if two things happen at once you forget about one and focus on the other. Did you happen to switch your mobile network setting to LTE/CDMA? I ask because Sprint put a bunch of 4g networks online around the same time 4.2.1 came out. I had switched my network only to have my battery drain trying to find the one 4g tower in Washington, DC. Once I switched it back to just CDMA, battery life improved tremendously. Just a thought.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by gnr_2 View Post
    I know you know this but sometimes if two things happen at once you forget about one and focus on the other. Did you happen to switch your mobile network setting to LTE/CDMA? I ask because Sprint put a bunch of 4g networks online around the same time 4.2.1 came out. I had switched my network only to have my battery drain trying to find the one 4g tower in Washington, DC. Once I switched it back to just CDMA, battery life improved tremendously. Just a thought.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.
    The city I am in is currently being upgraded to 4G. Since where I live and work (and my commute) doesn't have 4G coverage right now, I will switch to use only CDMA and see if that helps.

Speaking of 4G, the times I have been in 4G coverage areas, the speeds have been pretty good. Even the worse 4G speeds I have seen, around 5 Mbps, is light years better than the horrible 3G speeds I get (usually 0.1 Mbps).

Thanks to everyone who offered advice!

ROM
    EOS3 nightly 61 (4.1.2)

I just really think it sucks that we have to sit here and troubleshoot our devices because some dumb@$$ didn't do there job in the testing phase.

acr456 and tommyjoesanders like this.

The city I am in is currently being upgraded to 4G. Since where I live and work (and my commute) doesn't have 4G coverage right now, I will switch to use only CDMA and see if that helps.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice!
    Let me know if it helped.

Quote Originally Posted by gnr_2 View Post
    Let me know if it helped.

Actually, it looks like it got worse. I am sure there are other factors involved, so while switching to CDMA might help in some situations, I might have another one that it doesn't really make that much difference.

I work in IT so I realize bugs slip through when writing software, but it is the amount of time Sprint takes to fix (or attempt to fix) the problem which really lacking. There should be quicker updates. Google can do it, why can't Sprint?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sprint 4.2.1-screenshot_2013-02-21-06-33-17.png   Sprint 4.2.1-screenshot_2013-02-21-06-33-25.png   Sprint 4.2.1-screenshot_2013-02-21-06-33-35.png  

Global Posts
    549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

well, ok, I'll ask. Why is lookout taking up so much battery? It almost seems like it is trying to locate you or do something. Using CPU for 9 minutes out of 34 minutes is kinda high (IMO).

How do these numbers (for lookout) look after about 8 hours? Hopefully, lookout is a very low percentage (1% or so) - is that the case? If not, maybe uninstall lookout for a day or two and see what happens.

Edit: One other suggestion: After charging, disable 3g (keep only wifi on) - and see if there is a noticeable improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by jj14x View Post
    well, ok, I'll ask. Why is lookout taking up so much battery? It almost seems like it is trying to locate you or do something. Using CPU for 9 minutes out of 34 minutes is kinda high (IMO).

How do these numbers (for lookout) look after about 8 hours? Hopefully, lookout is a very low percentage (1% or so) - is that the case? If not, maybe uninstall lookout for a day or two and see what happens.

Edit: One other suggestion: After charging, disable 3g (keep only wifi on) - and see if there is a noticeable improvement.
    I will check out the numbers for Lookout later in the day. Right now, I am debating on rooting and installing the Sorcery ROM or paying my ETF and getting the Nexus 4.

ROM
    EOS3 nightly 61 (4.1.2)

As soon as I can, I will be buying out my contract with Sprint. They're refusing to let me out of my contract because they believe they're giving Mr what I'm paying for. I'm sorry, but I roam literally next to a Sprint tower. I could go in and on about how much respect I've lost for them. I mean their retention department hung up on me because they couldn't come up with an answer for my problem. Get yourself an N4 and a T-Mobile unlimited 4G prepaid card. They have amazing speeds and have free built in WiFi calling on their plans.

Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Maybe u have a bum device bro. Because network vision really helped Chicago.

ROM
    EOS3 nightly 61 (4.1.2)

Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    Maybe u have a bum device bro. Because network vision really helped Chicago.

That was my original thinking, but this is my 5th one since April 2012.

Does anyone know why my battery use screen doesn't show what's using the battery? Only has the graph with how long it's been off the charger, nothing under it (examples: screen, cell standby).

It's been blank since the 4.2.1 update.

JB sourcery 4.5 is awesome flash it you won't regret it I've been running it for over a month now finally found a ROM that fits as far as customization and everything really sourcery ROM rocks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

ROM
    EOS3 nightly 61 (4.1.2)

Quote Originally Posted by slinkies View Post
    JB sourcery 4.5 is awesome flash it you won't regret it I've been running it for over a month now finally found a ROM that fits as far as customization and everything really sourcery ROM rocks

That seems to be the general consensus for that ROM. I'm gonna give it a try when I get home because I can't take this anymore. I will note though, ever since I've turned off my location settings I've had zero random reboots.

Quote Originally Posted by CaMelGuY1337 View Post
    That seems to be the general consensus for that ROM. I'm gonna give it a try when I get home because I can't take this anymore. I will note though, ever since I've turned off my location settings I've had zero random reboots.

Hope you have better luck than I did. I put that ROM (Sourcery 4.5) on last night. I am still seeing the huge battery drain and my phone is getting very warm. Wonder if I have a hardware problem? Jumping ship to the Nexus 4 is looking more and more appealing.

Did you wipe both caches after flashing I've gotten 23 hours on battery before with an average of 19 is your location services on or gps or anything of the sort? My phone also only gets hot on this ROM under really heavy use I'd try wiping both dalvik and regular caches then factory reset then wipe caches again and then flash new that should fix your issues.

Also the nexus 4 has its own set of issues yes hardwares a lil better but issues nonetheless

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts

I'm on my second Galaxy Nexus, and it gets hot after 20 minutes or less of light usage. I'm working on getting them to get me a better phone as I switched from the LG Viper before the Nexus. Had 2 Viper's and 2 Nexus'. I'm not going to let them give me another one. I want a better phone, but I'm not leaving Sprint. You people crazy enough to leave Sprint should know that Sprint has the best voice quality out of the Big 4. Even I know that as I've had all 4 carriers, and issues galore with at&t (even more than when I had them, I have 2 friends on at&t still), Verizon used to drop calls on me all the time, and T-Mobile just doesn't offer the coverage I need for rural areas I travel to.
    Current Device: Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus Jelly Bean 4.2.1
    Previous Devices: HTC Evo Shift 4G & iPhone 3GS 16GB
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast