Sprint 4.2.1

stimulatedboredom

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Hmm - I don't recall a 4.2 update being pushed out OTA. After 4.1.1, we got 4.2.1
Did you mean to say that you didn't get 4.1.1 either? If so, a trip to the Sprint store (or a call to customer service) is definitely in order. They can certainly get you up to 4.1.1 right away. For 4.2.1, they will probably ask you to wait 2-3 weeks because "it is being pushed out in waves"

To my knowledge, Sprint / Google pushed out the 4.2 update a couple of weeks ago, which is when AC posted a link on how to directly install it if you didn't want to wait for the OTA, since the update was sitting on Sprint's site, but not being pushed. Then a few days ago AC posted that there was a minor update (4.2.1) that was being pushed.

I did have 4.1.1 and have had for awhile, that would suck if I was still waiting for JB :)

Not sure if the two are connected, but I recently moved to the DC area from Florida. I had tried all the tricks to force the update, with no success. Then last night I finally updated my billing address from Florida to DC, and the update was downloaded and ready to be installed this morning! I figured it was based off my phone's ID or towers, but maybe it was just updating my billing to tell Sprint that I moved here and was not just visiting.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
My Nexus has now rebooted itself 7 times this morning. This is my 5th one and I'm done with this. Sprint told me that I have to go through 5 of the same device before I can be moved to a different phone. The told me once that I can move to the "comparable" Samsung Victory or the Optimus elite or something like that. You tell how those are anywhere near what this phone is.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
My Nexus has now rebooted itself 7 times this morning. This is my 5th one and I'm done with this. Sprint told me that I have to go through 5 of the same device before I can be moved to a different phone. The told me once that I can move to the "comparable" Samsung Victory or the Optimus elite or something like that. You tell how those are anywhere near what this phone is.

I went thru this same problem years ago with my Sprint Samsung Epic 4g. There is no written law as to how many times you have to have the phone replaced with a refurb, but Sprint will try to get you to keep taking the refurbs as much as possible.

The two phones you mentioned as comparable exchanges to swap out to are nowhere near on par with the Gnex. If it was me I would go for another Gnex instead of the options they gave you. Stinks because it's based on the current value of the phone and not comparable specs :-(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I went thru this same problem years ago with my Sprint Samsung Epic 4g. There is no written law as to how many times you have to have the phone replaced with a refurb, but Sprint will try to get you to keep taking the refurbs as much as possible.

The two phones you mentioned as comparable exchanges to swap out to are nowhere near on par with the Gnex. If it was me I would go for another Gnex instead of the options they gave you. Stinks because it's based on the current value of the phone and not comparable specs :-(

I actually just read am article I found through the forums here. Apparently the reboot issue is an OS level problem with 4.2 and Google has acknowledged the issue and is working on a fix. Who knows when that will get released.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The patch should be released Mid-March. Most likely after patch, we will see android 5.0 the understanding I got
Now I know why I've stayed on my custom Rom ' AOKP ' based off 4.1.2

@camelguy there is always rooting or at least unlocking your bootloader and then flashing the stock factory images to return back to 4.1.2

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I'd tell Sprint you were reporting them to the Attorney General of your state since it should be based on the value of the phone when you got it new. The fact that they kept stalling you and now saying it's based on current value is something your AG will be very interested in. Shouldn't be too hard to find the lemon laws in your state and if Sprint was compliant (which sounds like they weren't.).

That said, it sounds like your current issue is related to the update.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

tommyjoesanders

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Now I know why I've stayed on my custom Rom ' AOKP ' based off 4.1.2

@camelguy there is always rooting or at least unlocking your bootloader and then flashing the stock factory images to return back to 4.1.2

lol @ paul . I keep reading reading people are having all kinds of issues with 4.2.1 . and I noticed and tested somethings. if you accept OTA or adb sideload the OTA. It seems like there is issues with charging and random reboots. But when I flashed 4.2.1 using ODIN and did a factory reset everything works nicely. Battery good and no lag and no overheating. So I don't If this helps anyone with there issues. But I was running into some of this these and tried different things too make sure I didn't have a defective unit.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Could be a coincidence with Odin. I know a few people running stock 4.2.1 with no problems. I think it's one if those bugs in the source that is random and seems to only randomly hit certain devices.

Kind of like running a custom kernel from a developer. Not all devices are created 100 % equal and even with identical setups they can all react differently to running that same custom kernel. Some run fine while others freeze, random reboot, etc...

tommyjoesanders

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Could be a coincidence with Odin. I know a few people running stock 4.2.1 with no problems. I think it's one if those bugs in the source that is random and seems to only randomly hit certain devices.

Kind of like running a custom kernel from a developer. Not all devices are created 100 % equal and even with identical setups they can all react differently to running that same custom kernel. Some run fine while others freeze, random reboot, etc...

@paul , thats very true. I hope maybe what I went thru . Might help someone. But, you know what they say "Sometimes a custom rom and kernel is better than the stock stuff" Thats the beauty about having this phone. We can do things better than google can.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yep. Be thankful for the custom ROM/kernel developers.

StepSoSteady

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I received the OTA update the other day and noticed a few changes but will really review changes soon.

Brettbesa

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Battery life has been getting progressively worse throughout the week. Saturday, I was able to get just over 2 hours on screen time, on wifi all day. Past few days have been around 1.5 hours screen on time, and today I'm on track to get 1 hour if I'm lucky. I wasn't having this issue with the 4.2.1 roms I was running earlier. The battery stats aren't showing any particular app eating up my battery, just the screen taking up the most as is expected. Any thoughts?

tommyjoesanders

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Battery life has been getting progressively worse throughout the week. Saturday, I was able to get just over 2 hours on screen time, on wifi all day. Past few days have been around 1.5 hours screen on time, and today I'm on track to get 1 hour if I'm lucky. I wasn't having this issue with the 4.2.1 roms I was running earlier. The battery stats aren't showing any particular app eating up my battery, just the screen taking up the most as is expected. Any thoughts?

Sprint is aware of the issues. There is another update coming out with the next week or so. They are testing everything as we speak. It should 4.2.2 and it should be last update until mid summer when android 5.0 is released

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Sprint is aware of the issues. There is another update coming out with the next week or so. They are testing everything as we speak. It should 4.2.2 and it should be last update until mid summer when android 5.0 is released
This might sound like a silly question, but if you don't update to 4.2.1, will 4.2.2 install those updates as well. Also, how will you know which update it is when notified?

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

tommyjoesanders

May 2, 2012
Visit site
This might sound like a silly question, but if you don't update to 4.2.1, will 4.2.2 install those updates as well. Also, how will you know which update it is when notified?

Nope must have the latest firmware before accepting any OTA firmware updates. every update that is issued always has info what the update is
You will need to have 4.2.1 installed so when 4.2.2 is released then you will be able to accept the updates

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01